Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #121
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Attached is the Roboto font that bartveld modified for me. He enlarged it and increased the weight.

I asked him to enlarge it in the hopes that I would be able to get more size steps close to the size I like. It has the added benefit that the line spacing is much tighter (so I get more choices at the low end when selecting a line spacing).

Thank you bartveld!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Roboto scaled 120 B15,10.zip (255.4 KB, 1367 views)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #122
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Attached is the Roboto font that bartveld modified for me. He enlarged it and increased the weight.

I asked him to enlarge it in the hopes that I would be able to get more size steps close to the size I like. It has the added benefit that the line spacing is much tighter (so I get more choices at the low end when selecting a line spacing).

Thank you bartveld!
Thanks Bartveld and John F!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #123
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I assume you mean that when you step through the font sizes, there is one that is just a little to small and the next a little two big. If so, you can tweak it on the device.

The sizes used by the font slider are not linear. They range from 12 to 58 but, there are only 24 values. From some experiments last year, the sizes are: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58. These are from 2.1.5, and might have changed, but I wouldn't expect it.

If you want to use one of the missing size, you can edit the "Kobo eReader.conf". This is in ".kobo/Kobo". Find the line with "readingFontSize" and change the number. If the size you want is in one of the gaps, then the device will use it as the default size. If you change the settings on the device, it will update the file and lose the size.

That will work for all new books. But, for books you have read, if you change the font settings, they are stored in the internal database. For one of these books to use the new setting, you need to change the database. Removing the book using the device or calibre will also remove the stored settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #124
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

If you want to use one of the missing size, you can edit the "Kobo eReader.conf". This is in ".kobo/Kobo". Find the line with "readingFontSize" and change the number. If the size you want is in one of the gaps, then the device will use it as the default size. If you change the settings on the device, it will update the file and lose the size.
I don't suppose you know how to get the .conf file to show all the possibilities, and not just the setting for the current book? I've tried going to Home and restarting and a simple paperclip reset, but I'm still just seeing readingFontSize=24.

(Turns out 23 is my sweet spot. How annoying!)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #125
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't suppose you know how to get the .conf file to show all the possibilities, and not just the setting for the current book? I've tried going to Home and restarting and a simple paperclip reset, but I'm still just seeing readingFontSize=24.

(Turns out 23 is my sweet spot. How annoying!)
Did you just type 23 into the file and save the file? The values in the conf file are what the device will use for any new books, and any that don't have saved settings. If you change the make changes on the settings dialog, it will get updated again and those settings will become the default.

But, if you have already changed the settings for a book, the settings are saved in the "content_settings" table of the database. You can change the change the font size there, or delete the row so it the book uses the settings from the conf file.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #126
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, ok, I thought you were saying that the readingFontSize line would have a list of values and that I could insert 23 into the list, and then have that as an option. Just putting in a single number that will be lost when I change settings won't help me, because when I have my glasses off I use a different font size setting.

It seems weird that they're skipping font size options right about the sizes that typical print uses, but giving us a zillion teeny-tiny options.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, ok, I thought you were saying that the readingFontSize line would have a list of values and that I could insert 23 into the list, and then have that as an option.
That explains it. And I can see why you thought that from what I wrote.
Quote:
Just putting in a single number that will be lost when I change settings won't help me, because when I have my glasses off I use a different font size setting.
Yes, that is a problem. For that, I don't have a solution. Well, there is what I say (actually, mutter under my breath) to my wife when she loses her glasses, but I better not repeat that.
Quote:
It seems weird that they're skipping font size options right about the sizes that typical print uses, but giving us a zillion teeny-tiny options.
The same list of sizes is used for the Touch and the Glo, and I assume the Mini. The resolution makes the same size look smaller on the Glo. On the Touch, I use about 17 and the Glo about 22. So, the sizes that are roughly the same as print on the Touch are single-step sizes.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #128
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The same list of sizes is used for the Touch and the Glo, and I assume the Mini. The resolution makes the same size look smaller on the Glo. On the Touch, I use about 17 and the Glo about 22. So, the sizes that are roughly the same as print on the Touch are single-step sizes.
Oh, sheesh! Well, that seems like something they could very easily fix by having slightly different firmware (or just offering all the options for everyone), should they be so inclined. Fingers crossed they will.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #129
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... Just putting in a single number that will be lost when I change settings won't help me, because when I have my glasses off I use a different font size setting.

I have the same problem.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #130
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Hi Bartveld,
Please could you post a heavier Delicious font? It can be found at http://www.exljbris.com/delicious.html. It only needs to be slightly heavier.
P.S. the lighter Minion works a treat, thanks very much for that.
Polly7
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #131
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
Hi Bartveld,
Please could you post a heavier Delicious font? It can be found at http://www.exljbris.com/delicious.html. It only needs to be slightly heavier.
P.S. the lighter Minion works a treat, thanks very much for that.
Polly7
Gee, Polly7, what do you do with all those fonts?
A few remarks: Like Fontin Delicious is a very limited font, with a lot of glyphs not represented. But depending on what you read you may never notice.
Also, it's OTF and FontCreator only saves to TTF. Not sure if that conversion is without problems.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Delicious 15,10.rar (39.1 KB, 982 views)
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #132
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Thank you Bartveld
Sorry, didnt mean to be such a bother, but many thanks.
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #133
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
Thank you Bartveld
Sorry, didnt mean to be such a bother, but many thanks.
No bother at all, just curious.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #134
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Removed

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-13-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: possible copyright problem
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have been wrestling with my Times font and why it displayed italics as bold. Looking around here on the forum I chanced on a suggestion to use the exact name of the font. For example, the file for a Times font on my hard drive is named times.ttf, but the actual name of the font is Times New Roman. So renamed the files and, lo and behold, it works. Don't ask me why, I can't say the delectable option to add fonts of your own on the Kobo has been made easy, but here you go...
I know this is not a recent post. But I'm going to answer this. I've seen a problem just like this on my 650 and I did manage to solve the problem.

The problem was the encoding of the files. You'll need to make sure your CSS is encoded as UFT-8 without BOM. If that's needed to be done, I check all the other files as well just in case. I used Notepad++ for Windows to do this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote