Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
GCP looking for...

Over this past weekend I finally got the chance to sit down with the owner of Grit City Publications and had a nice chat with him... Thanx to Hang Outs on Google+

I have been a fan now of their new medium of fiction, emotobooks, for a few months now. I have mentioned them a bit here and there and recommended a few of their titles to select members looking for a new read.

Ron, the owner, told me about their future plans and whats going on behind the scenes etc. The main reason I contacted him in the first place is that my wife is a teacher and has her masters in English. GCP is always looking for editors and my wife needs something to do during the summer. So we chatted about that for a bit. He also asked a minor fav and it was, if I was a part of any communities out on the web, to make a simple post reaching out for editors/artists/authors.

So if anyone is looking for some extra side work being an editor or an artist, or any authors that maybe want to turn their work into this new medium of fiction, should contact them.

I would love to be apart of it, but I myself, have no talent in any of those categories! I'm just an avid reader

http://www.gritcitypublications.com/...s/GCPHome.html

is the main website and you can find each category for work in the bottom footer.

Also, wasn't really sure where to put this, so if it's in the wrong section, please move it

Last edited by Santos; 06-12-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
So if anyone is looking for some extra side work being an editor or an artist, or any authors that maybe want to turn their work into this new medium of fiction, should contact them

What do you mean by "new medium of fiction"?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I thought I might look into the editing thing myself, but then I saw this:

"Note: If you do not have a presence on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+, you are not taking your career seriously and GCP is not interested. 200 followers are required on each. Provide links to your social media and number of followers."

Whoops. That rules me out, I guess.

Edited to add this is NOT a criticism of GCP, just a sad comment on my reluctance to jump into the social networking arena.

Last edited by bjones6416; 06-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I read their description of "emotobook" out of curiousity. That's an awful lot of spin for what was called an illustrated story. Didn't we read these when we were children, before we developed our own ability to visualize?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post

"Note: If you do not have a presence on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+, you are not taking your career seriously and GCP is not interested. 200 followers are required on each. Provide links to your social media and number of followers."

Edited to add this is NOT a criticism of GCP, just a sad comment on my reluctance to jump into the social networking arena.
I will use it as a criticism of GCP. They're basically saying, "If you can't shill for us to a large number of people, you're of no use to us." They sound like ruthless self-promoters, which isn't the style of many of us.
H.P. Lovesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
I will use it as a criticism of GCP. They're basically saying, "If you can't shill for us to a large number of people, you're of no use to us." They sound like ruthless self-promoters, which isn't the style of many of us.
Agreed. Not everyone wants to use their social networking for intensive advertising.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
What do you mean by "new medium of fiction"?
It's not a comic book, it's not a graphical novel, it's something new. Sorta like a short story with abstract emotional art to set the feelings of a character during a selected scene. I enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post

Yea, this was my wifes problem also, but she is working on building her social media up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I read their description of "emotobook" out of curiousity. That's an awful lot of spin for what was called an illustrated story. Didn't we read these when we were children, before we developed our own ability to visualize?
See, thats the thing, it's not an illustrated story. It's a short story with 1 or 2 pieces of artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
They aren't asking for shills, or trying to get people to advertise. They just want people to have a good understanding of social media and how important it is to spread the word about their work and other peoples work. It's about meeting new people and sharing ideas, not pushing products down peoples throats. Either way, I don't agree, nor disagree with this rule of theirs. I see the pro's and the con's.

Also, I see a lot of hate. Don't hate I was skeptical myself, then I tried one, and enjoyed it. The stories are great and I see the artwork as a bonus. They also developed something new coming in july called autograph cards. Not sure what they are all about but I think they have something posted on the site about them. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not a comic book, it's not a graphical novel, it's something new. Sorta like a short story with abstract emotional art to set the feelings of a character during a selected scene. I enjoyed it
That sounds an awful lot like my son's "You can read too!" level of books. Do not mean to sound mean... but that is exactly what most of them are like.

I will have to see if they have any free ones after I finish the current series I am reading to see for myself I guess.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
[...]I will have to see if they have any free ones after I finish the current series I am reading to see for myself I guess.
This, I think.

I am not a fan of the word "emotobook", but it does look to me like GCP may have an idea worth exploring. Not a comic, not quite a graphic novel, but something designed specifically for the media on which it is intended to be presented. I quite like the idea of seeing text-art and graphic-art merged in this way, I think it has real possibilities ... it's just that "emotobook" phrase that gives me the shudders and I wonder if it's all headed for something horrible.

Something I see as a parallel to this (it's not the same, much of this example being intended for print media) is the work of this artist/author: Shaun Tan. I have his "Tales from Outer Suburbia" here and absolutely love the way the images and text support each other.

That example was mostly images with some text, I see the GCP idea as having a greater emphasis on the text, but - I am assuming - still intending the art and text to support each other in revealing the emotion/mood of the piece and designed for ipad/iphone type media. This emphasis on the media also, I believe, explains the importance they place on social media participation etc - since that tends to be all part of the same media.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
A short story with 1 or 2 pieces of artwork is still just illustrated fiction. You may be thinking of cartoons or manga but an illustrated story doesn't require artwork on every other page. It just isn't new and I sort of resent the hype GCP is putting into this.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I sort of resent the hype GCP is putting into this.
Eh, its marketing. I have come to expect it anymore and mostly ignore it.

Last edited by VydorScope; 06-14-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fix broken quote tag
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
A short story with 1 or 2 pieces of artwork is still just illustrated fiction. You may be thinking of cartoons or manga but an illustrated story doesn't require artwork on every other page. It just isn't new and I sort of resent the hype GCP is putting into this.
I think this is a simplistic view of the world. Yes, it may be that GCP will end up with "just illustrated fiction", but possibilities exist for something that is (at least) subtly different, and such differences can be important in both marketing and user reception. That's one of the reasons I gave the example above, it shows that mixing graphic-art and text does not always fall neatly into one particular existing category and sometimes the results can be surprising.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Santos
Avid Reader

Eh, see a lot of hate for something you guys have never tried. As I said before, I wasn't thrilled with the idea either, then I snagged a copy and really enjoyed it. Either way, I'm a fan for sure, and I understand everyone won't enjoy them as much as me, but don't diss them for trying something new.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Eh, see a lot of hate for something you guys have never tried. As I said before, I wasn't thrilled with the idea either, then I snagged a copy and really enjoyed it. Either way, I'm a fan for sure, and I understand everyone won't enjoy them as much as me, but don't diss them for trying something new.
No hate here, even said I plan to try one after I finish the current series I am reading. Might be a while.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Do what you want, guys. He's not the boss of you.

0<
Z
"

I have illustrated my comment with an ASCII picture of a sceptical bird.

This is an emotocomment(TM). Please re-tweet.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote