Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
kensanwaychen
kensanwaychen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle crashes when highlighting or turning pages

Hey all,

I have an older Kindle (purchased around July 2011) and it has a tendency to freeze.

This happens most frequently when I try to highlight text. It just stops there and I have to manually restart--sometimes it will say that it's adding new data on a blank screen and the it will repopulate the whole Kindle with all my titles, collections, etc., reappearing over time. This has started happening when I try to skip pages too quickly also.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any solutions? I'd prefer not to reformat my Kindle.

Note that this happened on a previous Kindle I owned, which I got replaced, but it's happening on this one as well obviously.

Thanks,
Ken
kensanwaychen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensanwaychen View Post
Hey all,

I have an older Kindle (purchased around July 2011) and it has a tendency to freeze.

This happens most frequently when I try to highlight text. It just stops there and I have to manually restart--sometimes it will say that it's adding new data on a blank screen and the it will repopulate the whole Kindle with all my titles, collections, etc., reappearing over time. This has started happening when I try to skip pages too quickly also.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any solutions? I'd prefer not to reformat my Kindle.

Note that this happened on a previous Kindle I owned, which I got replaced, but it's happening on this one as well obviously.

Thanks,
Ken
Copy the clippings.txt file over to your PC then delete the one on the Kindle and restart. See if that fixes it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I have this problem on my K3 (and previously on my DX) and I just cannot understand why Amazon refuses to fix it. There is a work-around - I'm afraid I do not remember whom I should credit, sorry - that involves disabling the index. Unless you have a need to frequently search within books, there's no real downside.

How-to:

At the home screen, press del to get a text box. You need to do this for each command.

Type ;debugOn then press enter [Capital O; the text-box will disappear, nothing will appear to have happened]

Check debug status by typing ~help. This will list the debug commands.

Enter the command ~disableIndexing [capital I] and enter

Finally, enter ;debugOff and enter. Check by typing ~help again. If you get a list of commands, then debug is still on, otherwise your k3 will search for this string.

Debug and disableIndexing do not persist across reboots. If you make a mistake or just get lost, simply do a reboot to get back to normal.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
A friend was having this problem, and it was due to 3 books indexing. To check this, from the home page type nonsense like xzc, and hit "search my items". If this takes you to a page that shows items indexing, you should note those titles and return to your home page to delete them. You can add them back one-at-a-time and see if they index properly. But a couple of problem books which cannot index overloads your tiny processor, just like on a computer.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I had the same issues, except it did not freeze but took VERY long (up to 30 minutes) to react again.
I always suspected indexing too, but when the Kindle reacted again I tried the search montalex mentioned and never found anything being not indexed.
But Scott Nielsens solution did work for me too (I disabled indexing about 6 months ago, not just now, and since then I never had this problem again).
I think the Kindle tries to index your text highlighting while you do it and gets confused doing it.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
kensanwaychen
kensanwaychen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks! This has been very helpful. I'm trying the debug option and will let you know how it works!
kensanwaychen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, freeze, highlighting, kindle