Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Akelasaathi
Akelasaathi began at the beginning.

Device: none
edit epub document

I need to make changes in only 3-4 pages in the epub document. What is the simplest and the easiest way to do this without disturbing the entire document laboriously converted into epub? If you suggest sigil or any such editing device, please provide me step by step instructions so that I can accomplish the needed editing of the pages without getting frustrated in the process.

Thanks for your help.
Akelasaathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akelasaathi View Post
If you suggest sigil or any such editing device, please provide me step by step instructions so that I can accomplish the needed editing of the pages without getting frustrated in the process.
step 1: Make sure your epub is not DRM protected, otherwise you are out of luck.
step 2: Install Sigil version 0.4.0
step 3: Run Sigil and open your epub document
step 4: Make the changes in your epub document
step 5: Save the epub under a different file name in case you messed something up
step 6: Open the revised epub in your reader and verify the changes were made properly
step 7: If the changes are OK, you are done. If not, repeat steps 3-6 until you get it right.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
step 1: Make sure your epub is not DRM protected, otherwise you are out of luck.
step 5: Save the epub under a different file name in case you messed something up
step 6: Open the revised epub in your reader and verify the changes were made properly
step 7: If the changes are OK, you are done. If not, repeat steps 3-6 until you get it right.
I highly recommend swapping steps 4 and 5. Resaving under a new filename immediately after opening the document is the safest method. You can then make edits safely without risk of accidentally saving without renaming.

Also, in step 7 note that the loop back to step 3 generally involves reopening the new renamed and edited document, not the original, and skipping the rename on save, going straight to continuing the edits or fixing the first attempt.

You would only reopen the original document for a second try at the edits if the first attempt proved to be a disaster. In such cases you would definitely want to quickly resave under another new name before beginning your second try at the edits.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
shall1028
Nameless Being

The request (make that order) for step-by-step instructions reminds me of that exercise where you are to list all the steps needed to make toast. At first it seems simple:
  1. place bread in toaster
  2. push bar down
  3. wait until toast pops up

But what about plug in toaster? remove bread from cupboard? slice bread in necessary? get knife out of drawer if slicing bread? etc.

The order to provide step-by-step instructions also reminds me of the line from Carl Sagan's Cosmos documentary series "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch—you must first invent the universe."
Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Akelasaathi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Two questions for yekim54:

(1) How do you find out if a document is DRM protected?
(2) If it is not DRM protected, then how to open the document in Sigil?
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Simple, try to open it in Sigil. If it opens, it does not have DRM. If it won't, it has DRM applied.
Usually if you want to open a document in a program, you choose 'File --> Open'. Sigil is no exception....

BTW, it DRM is no protection, please do not call it DRM protection. It is a restriction. It only protects the publishers wallets (and not even that well).
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Akelasaathi

Thanks for the instructions.

I have been able to open the document in Sigil and can go to individual title pages. But how can I view each and every page of the entire document in sequence from the first to the last page? I don't see arrow signs forward or backward to move from page to page consecutively, hence I couldn't go to specific page, which I need to edit.

There must be some simple signage to click, which apparently I am missing (or unable to identify).

Also, how can I change the font size of a particular paragraph?

Need help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Akelasaathi; 08-22-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are no fixed pages, it is reflowing. If you need to make changes, search for the page you need to edit (search for the text) and make your changes. The book has probably a specific xhtml document for each chapter.

Font sizes are best described in the unit em or percentages and can be set in a stylesheet. Define a style for your paragraph with the font size in it and make your paragraph use that style.
An example:

In your stylesheet:
Code:
.bigfont {
 font-size: 150%
}
In your xhtml:
Code:
<p class="bigfont">Your text here.</p>
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Akelasaathi

I am making good progress. Thanks to your guidance.

I have a jpeg image in my "pictures" file, which I want to add to this epub document. How do I do that?

Secondly, if I want to change the color (from light green to red) of an image already present in the document, how do I use Sigil to accomplish this?

Again, many thanks for your help.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
You cannot alter the color of an image via Sigil. You need photo-manipulation software for that, completely separate from Sigil. Try Gimp, which is free OS.

Second, with regard to your question as to how to add an image, I'd recommend that 1) you read the Sigil tutorial, which explains how to do it and 2) that you learn some html, which you'll need to do anything above and beyond what everyone has already told you how to do: try this: W3 Schools html tutorials.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote