Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

I'm passing on the beta

Given that we all have very grave doubts about the company's continued existence, I'm personally passing on the beta. I'll wait until it's "final version" release. Last thing I need is for the company to go under and be left with an eDGe I *might* be able to roll back to a working version...

EDIT: Keep in mind that doing the rollback from Ermine to the current Dingo version will require you to re-register your eDGe. If the enTourage registration server is no longer up, you won't be able to do the Adobe registration part, which means you will no longer be able to read purchased eBooks on the eInk side. By passing on the beta, you retain the ability to read purchased books, at least until such time as you need to do a factory reset (which most people don't).

Last edited by borisb; 03-31-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
myst
Edge User

Not sure there's anything to pass on since it doesn't seem to exist..........

Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

I have two Edges (the second from a desparate seller on eBay) so I'll do the upgrade on one of them.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Given that we all have very grave doubts about the company's continued existence, I'm personally passing on the beta.
Totally understandable. Why should we be testers if we arent sure to receive supports?

Quote:
If the enTourage registration server is no longer up,
As long as EE are still available around, how could they close it?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
As long as EE are still available around, how could they close it?
No money = no server EE owners have already shelled out their money, but they need new money (customers) to keep going.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
JBrondos
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiposius Maximus View Post
I have two Edges (the second from a desparate seller on eBay) so I'll do the upgrade on one of them.
Gratias tibi, Adiposus Maximus. Morituri te salutamus!

(An adaption of the gladiator's salute: "Thank you, 'O Great One.' We who are about to die salute you!" -- And having taught a little biology to middle schoolers, I am familiar with the term adipose. Clever.)

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
JBrondos
Edge User

Is there a way to back up our eDGe's as they are now? Can we image them somehow . . . or copy ALL files and folders by USB to our desktop computers from the root and deeper to be restored later by USB?

Is the eDGe registration with Amazon a matter of copying a file from somewhere on the eDGe?

Or I suppose if something happened and I "bricked" my device, I might try to root the eDGe with these instructions from "the Android Police"

http://goo.gl/S1PLh

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
No money = no server EE owners have already shelled out their money, but they need new money (customers) to keep going.
So if you purchase a new one you cant register it? This is a violation of consumers rights, at least in EU.
(Please not that hardly ever I will buy an ebook with drm on it)

Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

If you purchase a new one and the company shuts down in the meantime, then correct, you can't register it.

The company hasn't shutdown, though. Yet.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
lorenzoens
Edge User

I was stuck in a 50-50% possibilities to keep it or return it. Now it's a 40-60%. Too bad I'll have to wait until April 8th for its arrive.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
So if you purchase a new one you cant register it? This is a violation of consumers rights, at least in EU.
(Please not that hardly ever I will buy an ebook with drm on it)
If the store is gone then registration won't matter anyway. You can still operate the EE without registering it.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
If the store is gone then registration won't matter anyway. You can still operate the EE without registering it.
True, but you won't be able to read protected ebooks you've purchased on the eInk side...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

If it's a new device you won't have any purchased books on it...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
If it's a new device you won't have any purchased books on it...
Sorry for the confusion. If you get a new device and the enTourage registration doesn't work when you first run the Registration Wizard, you will never be able to read any purchased ebook on the eDGe on the eInk side - ever. This is because without the enTourage registration server working, the eDGe will not be able to set up the necessary security to allow you to read protected content on the eInk side, today, next week, next month, or ever.

This will only be an issue if enTourage goes out of business, of course, and shuts down the registration server.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
True, but you won't be able to read protected ebooks you've purchased on the eInk side...
Not unless the nasty DRM has been removed...