Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Glowlight Plus (2015) new update

I thought my Glowlight+ had choked and died. It produced an error and locked up. Then I tried rebooting — several times — and it got on the intro screen. Then I held the switch for quite some time and it finally "took off." Came up with an "Updating, be patient you jerk" message and actually completed a new update. Now running 5.0.5.35 instead of 4.9.5.5 firmware. Also, now, if you hit "Check for Updates" it actually doesn't error out — just comes up with a "No Updates Available" message. I haven't tried it on Calibre yet — don't know what has really changed. I did take a (lousy) picture of the update message (attached). I think was the same update the Glowlight 3 and NEW Glowlight Plus (7.8") had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190908_195858.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	173319  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I thought my Glowlight+ had choked and died. It produced an error and locked up. Then I tried rebooting — several times — and it got on the intro screen. Then I held the switch for quite some time and it finally "took off." Came up with an "Updating, be patient you jerk" message and actually completed a new update. Now running 5.0.5.35 instead of 4.9.5.5 firmware.
I've realized my Plus wouldn't update because it was too full. It couldn't connect to Calibre and when I checked the Nook in Windows explorer, I saw that I had crammed it full to bursting. I pulled some books off and the update finished downloading and Install came up. It told me I would have to free up still more room, but at least now I know what the problem is.

Through all this, the Nook continued to function just fine, so that's a testament to its stability, I guess.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've realized my Plus wouldn't update because it was too full. It couldn't connect to Calibre and when I checked the Nook in Windows explorer, I saw that I had crammed it full to bursting. I pulled some books off and the update finished downloading and Install came up. It told me I would have to free up still more room, but at least now I know what the problem is.

Through all this, the Nook continued to function just fine, so that's a testament to its stability, I guess.
Mine is still doing the "jump back to Home" every now and then and (since the update) it says "Syncing Library" when it does it. What's weird is that it will do it three or four times in a row and then work fine for a day or two. So I have no idea. That said, I'm really getting to like it a lot (even with this occasional frustration). The latest upgrade has sped it up noticeably (going back to Home now takes about a second instead of two or 2-1/2 seconds). Everything is a little faster. The screen is very good (and white) and the Georgia font (when set on "thicker") is good and dark. I'm very happy with the Glowlight Plus (6"). I'm glad you kind of talked me into getting it. Hardware is solid. Nice, well-built reader. I think I like it better than the Glowlight 3 I got to try out for about a week.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-10-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Just curious, why didn't you keep the Glowlight 3, but decided to get an older model instead? Price difference?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just curious, why didn't you keep the Glowlight 3, but decided to get an older model instead? Price difference?
I know you were asking Centros, but I have both the Plus (2015) and the Glowlight 3 and I prefer the Plus mainly because of its stability.

The interface is the same on both. The Glowlight 3 has a slightly better screen, due to IR. The buttons are nice as is the nightlight.

But the Plus doesn't make me sweat every time I sideload books to it. With the Glowlight 3, I've learned to give it ten minutes or so after ejecting before I mess with it. Yet every time, I can't help but immediately look for books and notice they aren't there yet.

I do also appreciate that the Plus feels solid and premium. The Glowlight 3 is also a very nice reader. Nicer than the competition in my opinion. But the Plus with its aluminum back, flush screen, pebbled bezel and overall solid feel just feels like a quality product. Like if the iPad were turned into an e-ink reader, it would be the Plus.

Sadly, after all that praise, I use my Clara the most. Kobo's firmware is just so much better. And the better half uses the 3. The night light, buttons and extra storage win out there. So the Plus is not used as often as it likely should be.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I've actually wanted a Kobo reader for a while now, because of the software. Alas, Kobo has not yet come out with a reader I feel like buying hardware-wise. There are bug reports about the Forma (problems with USB connections, frontlight etc.) and the new Libra could almost be an Oasis clone (again, hardware-wise, of course). I just can't justify buying it, having two Oases already. Besides, there's something about how the Forma and the Libra look that turns me a bit off. Hard to explain and unfortunately neither is available locally, so I can't go and look at them myself.

Well, perhaps next year...
Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Glowlight 3 was sent to me by accident (I had bought a Paperwhite 2 from Shop Goodwill and they sent the Glowlight 3 instead). It took them about a week to get a return label emailed to me (I think it was the over the weekend and the link to the return label didn't get included in the first email somehow). Meanwhile I read a book (or two?) on it to try it out.

The thing that I didn't like about it (at the time) was trying to get the Comfort Light (or whatever they call it on a Nook) adjusted right. I kept tweaking it and not quite "getting it." I've learned more about these comfort lights, using the Tolino Vision 4, so I think if I tried the GL 3 again I would probably be able to make it work. I didn't have any stability issues with it that others have mentioned (admittedly very light usage).

As for the Glowlight Plus (6") I was curious about these partly because ZodWallop likes his so much. The other thing I liked about it was the flush screen. One came up on Shop Goodwill at a reasonable price, so I bid on it. When I got it, I was very impressed with the first really white screen I've seen on an eReader. Very sharp display. (The Glowlight 3 was sharp also.) I've come to realize (at least I think I have with my limited experience) that the warm comfort light readers don't have the same level of "whiteness" available as the non-warm light readers. It's not a bad thing, just different. Night reading is better with the "warm" screen, but only just a little — again, in my opinion. For day reading I think I like the "whiter" white. I've been using the Glowlight Plus (6") almost exclusively for about ten days and I'm impressed. (Of course I ususally like whatever reader I happen to be using anyhow, so take this with a grain of salt.)

These Nooks are well-built (both the Glowlight Plus (2015) and the Glowlight 3).
Old 09-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
(Of course I ususally like whatever reader I happen to be using anyhow, so take this with a grain of salt.)
That's me as well. I've come to prefer the Kobo firmware, but I could happily read on a Nook.

The one thing I wish they would change (and it's an ePub limitation rather than anything B&N did) is make one screen one page. Kobo worked around it by creating their 'Kobo ePub' format.

On my Nook if I see I have 17 pages left, I know that I really have closer to 25.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I've actually wanted a Kobo reader for a while now, because of the software. Alas, Kobo has not yet come out with a reader I feel like buying hardware-wise...
Have you ever used a Kobo? If not, it might be worth it to find an inexpensive used one on eBay or a site like that. Kobo wasn't available in the US and I took a chance and bought a refurbished 6" Aura off of eBay and loved it.

It made me feel a whole lot better about spending more on a Clara (which I had never previously seen in person) a few years later.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Have you ever used a Kobo?
I haven't used Kobos extensively, but I've tried them in local stores. Those models had no buttons, though, so I never bought one. I can't manage without buttons.

The more expensive models never made it here. Perhaps the Libra will, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's me as well. I've come to prefer the Kobo firmware, but I could happily read on a Nook.

The one thing I wish they would change (and it's an ePub limitation rather than anything B&N did) is make one screen one page. Kobo worked around it by creating their 'Kobo ePub' format.

On my Nook if I see I have 17 pages left, I know that I really have closer to 25.
My tendency on the Kobos I own (all are older ones) is to constantly "tweak" them because there are so many options. My main complaint (on the older ones I own) is that the screen doesn't seem responsive enough. I keep double-tapping when turning pages. But it's not really fair to compare these older Kobos to newer Tolinos, Nooks, Kindles, etc.

As for page numbering... I'm used to ePub page numbers spanning several "page" turns. In some ways I like it better because the total page count is closer to paper book page numbering.