Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
johngreen99
johngreen99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Flashing screen question

Hello,
I'm considering buying an e-ink device. I was watching a video of someone using a Cybook and when switching pages there was a kind of black (rather disturbing) flash each time. Does this happen in real life or is just part of the way it was videoed? If it does actually happen does it ruin the experience. It looks rather painful.

Also I am going to be reading a lot of PDFs (prob A4 sized). Is the Iliad really the only way to go for a decent read (I dont want to strain my eyes to much...).
johngreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The flashing is part of the eink process. It happens on all eink devices.

As for PDF, unconverted PDF is best on the iLiad.

Processed PDF is best on the Sony 505 using pdflrf.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
On the Cybook you can turn the flashing off to the cost of some ghosting. On the other hand you get used to the flashing very fast and will not notice it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If I recall correctly, I got used to the flash-to-black in about 20~30 minutes. I haven't really noticed it (except when someone asks about it) in over a year.

If you think of it in comparison to what you see when you turn a physical page, the idea is less disturbing.

All that being said, there are apparently a very small minority of people who find it simply intolerable. I think that in the ... 16 months that Sony devices have been out we've encountered one person here who actually used one for a while whom it just drove to distraction and he couldn't get used to it.

That's a very small minority though, there's no real reason to believe that you'd be number 2. If you're particularly concerned about it, I'd suggest you try to find someone near you who has one of these devices and see it for yourself. This forum can actually be good for linking up with other folks near you. A post along the lines of "Hey, I'm in such and such a city, on the Southwest side, and I'd like to see an e-ink reading device -- anyone who's near me and would be willing to let me buy them (and their reading device) a cup of coffee, send me a PM" should do the trick. That's how I say an iLiad when they were first out in June of '06.

I ran into OliverBogler today, actually (turned out we work at the same place). For anyone who remembers him, he's doing well, but sold that iLiad on e-bay when he got a Kindle for Christmas.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I was also worried about the flashing, but Tommy is right, you get used to it very fast. And it's not as bad as you think in the first place.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
After an hour of using my first eInk reader, I can honestly say that my brain completely filtered it out. I just don't see it at all now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
johngreen99
johngreen99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks alot for your replies

I am seriously considernig the Iliad. I watched the video on youtube entitled 'iRex iLiad E-Reader: personal video review' and it didnt seem so bad this time. Thanks again
johngreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote