Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
Kyriosity
Kyriosity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Previewer, Kindle for PC, Kindle
Change default font obfscation setting?

I'd love a way to change the default font obfuscation setting to None. Might there be such a thing?
Kyriosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:39 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is no default obfuscation setting. Fonts are either obfuscated, or they are not. If you open an Epub that contains obfuscated fonts, Sigil will indicate that the fonts are indeed obfuscated.

If the question is whether or not Sigil can be configured to automatically de-obfuscate all fonts that it encounters, the answer is no.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-17-2023 at 10:45 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And you can set the font obfuscation to none on a font by font basis after the epub is loaded into Sigil and then save it to a file.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:24 PM   #4
Kyriosity
Kyriosity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Previewer, Kindle for PC, Kindle
Thanks, all. Yeah, I know how to unobfuscate in Sigil; it's just a nuisance to have to do it twenty-three times as I tweak and reexport from InDesign. Was hoping to streamline a skosh! ;-)
Kyriosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never understood why InDesign can't be configured to NOT encrypt fonts when exporting to EPUB. You can't submit epubs with obfuscated fonts to Amazon. They will fail. There's also no need to obfuscate fonts if the epub is not being disseminated. Can InDesign not be configured to use fonts that don't need to be obfuscated?

As for Sigil... it is the opinion of its maintainers that font-obfuscation is a form of decryption. And while we're happy to give users the ability to make a conscious decision to decrypt (or encrypt) fonts in their epubs on a case by case basis, we're not comfortable giving them the ability to configure Sigil to automatically decrypt any encrypted fonts it might encounter. It's a decision users SHOULD have to think about. It's not a trivial thing. It shouldn't be a "set it and forget it" sort of thing. In my opinion, that's the mistake InDesign has made in this regard. Just in the opposite direction.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-25-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:05 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've never understood why InDesign can't be configured to NOT encrypt fonts when exporting to EPUB. You can't submit epubs with obfuscated fonts to Amazon. They will fail. There's also no need to obfuscate fonts if the epub is not being disseminated. Can InDesign not be configured to use fonts that don't need to be obfuscated?
In my opinion, it's simply because of course, Adobe is moving everyone as hard as they can to cloud fonts. They've been at it for ages now and of course, they want those obfuscated. I honestly don't think it's a whole lot more complicated than that.

Quote:
As for Sigil... it is the opinion of its maintainers that font-obfuscation is a form of decryption. And while we're happy to give users the ability to make a conscious decision to decrypt (or encrypt) fonts in their epubs on a case by case basis, we're not comfortable giving them the ability to configure Sigil to automatically decrypt any encrypted fonts it might encounter. It's a decision users SHOULD have to think about. It's not a trivial thing. It shouldn't be a "set it and forget it" sort of thing. In my opinion, that's the mistake InDesign has made in this regard. Just in the opposite direction.
Yes, FWIW, I agree with you. Choosing to use a font, in a method for which is is unlicensed (for example, using, say, Avenir Next in an ePUB without paying a few thou), should be a conscious decision. The fines or legal issues around it could be onerous. And then some!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriosity View Post
Thanks, all. Yeah, I know how to unobfuscate in Sigil; it's just a nuisance to have to do it twenty-three times as I tweak and reexport from InDesign. Was hoping to streamline a skosh! ;-)
Curious what you're doing with Sigil that would require you to de-obfuscate the fonts each and every time you re-export from InDesign? Couldn't you wait until all tweaking and re-exporting was done and then de-obfuscate all the fonts once?
Old 03-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Curious what you're doing with Sigil that would require you to de-obfuscate the fonts each and every time you re-export from InDesign? Couldn't you wait until all tweaking and re-exporting was done and then de-obfuscate all the fonts once?
I meant to ask that too. We don't mess with de-obfuscation unless/until we're done like dinner and 99% of the time, we're replacing (some) of the cloud fonts with licensed fonts, so that the entire problem poofs.

But do you mean, Kyriosity simply that you do it every time you export your FINAL INDD ePUB or is there something neither Diap nor I are seeing?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote