Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Best and biggest Memory Card

What is the best and biggest memory card that will work on the 505?

Sandisk is faster than Toshiba, I know this from another thread.

Which takes more power SD or a Sony Pro Duo?

Which one did you choose and how is your battery performance?
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As for biggest, the 505 will read SD's up to 2 GB and MemoryStick up to 8 GB. But you may find that you don't want to mess with the drawbacks of putting that much material on your 505.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
KorrMuraan
Winning at life
KorrMuraan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
As for biggest, the 505 will read SD's up to 2 GB and MemoryStick up to 8 GB. But you may find that you don't want to mess with the drawbacks of putting that much material on your 505.
plus with as buggy and unstable as the eBook Library software is, it'd probably have an aneurysm and die trying to process 8GB of books lol
KorrMuraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
elusivecritter
Neophyte Member
elusivecritter doesn't litterelusivecritter doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I picked up a couple 128 & 512mb SD cards cheap and use them, they load faster and I can presort by type. So far I just load my purchased eBooks on the device and stuff from Gutenberg and other public domain material on the cards.
elusivecritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivecritter View Post
I picked up a couple 128 & 512mb SD cards cheap and use them, they load faster and I can presort by type. So far I just load my purchased eBooks on the device and stuff from Gutenberg and other public domain material on the cards.
How do you presort by type?

Nice idea for the speed. I actually have a 512MB lying around somewhere already.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
mastersniper1967
mastersniper1967 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
bigger is not always better

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
How do you presort by type?

Nice idea for the speed. I actually have a 512MB lying around somewhere already.

I am thinking they pre-sort by having different cards by type (i.e. one card for fiction another for history etc...)

Only getting my reader recently my collection of EBooks is growing quite rapidly. I feel the same way as Elusivecritter, I have always thought that several smaller cards were better than one huge card for 2 reasons. 1 all your eggs in one basket, would you rather loose your entire collection or just some portion when that card fails? And for sorting my collection which resides on 4 128MB SD cards (for PD books, converted techinal guides, and the like) and the internal memory for the books I bought from Sony.

As for battery life there is a noticable difference from internal to SD/MS and a small advantage to MS over SD in power use but not significant from what I have been able to find.
mastersniper1967 is offline   Reply With Quote