Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
judyni
Enthusiast
judyni began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, tablets
[Android] Grouping.... I think...

When I first tried CC out the listing view of the cloud was by numbers and letters. (is that called "grouping"?). I disliked that and was going to use another product when by magic I found the right setting and got rid of it. Now my cloud list is just a single list (which I can choose to sort by title, author, etc). However, I decided I might like to be able to (optionally) see that abc list instead. For the life of me I cannot find that setting.

My problem seems to be I don't know whether a particular setting applies to the books on the phone or the books in Calibre, connected in my case to the cloud. For example, in Settings there is "Customize the book list". Which book list? I read virtually the entire FAQ without gaining any more understanding of which view of the books (phone or remote) the settings relate to.

Other than this, I love the product!
judyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyni View Post
When I first tried CC out the listing view of the cloud was by numbers and letters. (is that called "grouping"?). I disliked that and was going to use another product when by magic I found the right setting and got rid of it. Now my cloud list is just a single list (which I can choose to sort by title, author, etc). However, I decided I might like to be able to (optionally) see that abc list instead. For the life of me I cannot find that setting.
First letter grouping for the cloud display is controlled in Settings / Connecting to calibre / Cloud connection / Show first letters. Set the value to zero if you never want a category to be collapsed to first letters. Note that you must change that setting before connecting to the cloud provider.

Also note that the setting does not affect the first cloud display, the one that shows the various categories (Title, Author, Series, etc). If you want to remove some of the categories then connect to the cloud, tap the "3 dots" then select "Choose items to display".
Quote:
My problem seems to be I don't know whether a particular setting applies to the books on the phone or the books in Calibre, connected in my case to the cloud. For example, in Settings there is "Customize the book list". Which book list? I read virtually the entire FAQ without gaining any more understanding of which view of the books (phone or remote) the settings relate to.

Other than this, I love the product!
The vast majority of settings affect how CC behaves when not connected to anything. Some exceptions that I remember:
  • the settings in the "Connecting to calibre" sections.
  • the size of the cover thumbnail. Setting that affects the thumbs in the content server and cloud connections.
  • font size selection, which applies to all of CC's displays.
  • language selection.
  • filename generation, which is used whenever a book is downloaded into CC.
  • the "read" sync settings, which affect only the wireless device connection.
What categories you see in the content server is controlled by calibre.

As noted above, the categories you see in the cloud connection is controlled by CC's "Choose items to display".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
judyni
Enthusiast
judyni began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, tablets
Thanks! I did find it. The setting is not available when you are connected to the cloud, which is why I guess I couldn't find it, yet had found it to put zero in it when I set up CC. If I choose fast search, the search is fast enough and is what I'm using to find things rather than the alphabet... Which wasn't that fast to scroll anyway.
judyni is offline   Reply With Quote