Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
looking for new cover feedback

It's Contemporary Fiction. Here's the blurb: (thanks!)

It’s the last chance for law intern Mary Maloney. She’s flunked the bar exam twice and if she fails again she’ll lose her law internship, her home and what’s left of her self-respect. Things haven’t been made any easier by her boyfriend, Tom, breaking up with her to spend six months in Thailand following his dream to be a professional golfer. Alone and lonely, Mary falls under the sway of her high-powered attorney boss. She realizes too late that she's fooling herself—her boss is just a player, and besides, her heart still beats only for Tom.

Now Tom charges back into the picture. He’s seen the light and swears undying love and devotion. Mary’s thrilled! Life is definitely on the upswing. There’s just this one little troubling detail—she hasn’t had her period in months.

She slept with her boss only once after a New Year’s Eve party in a Miami penthouse. But she’s a runner—runners miss periods all the time. No, she couldn't be pregnant. She’d swear to it in a court of law. It has to be the case because Tom’s from a strict Italian Catholic family, where abortion or a child out of wedlock are absolutely unforgivable sins.

And ready or not the bar exam is barreling down on her. How will she conquer it with so many influences scattering her attention? Or is she facing an even bigger test?

Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Center Lines offset (Move Human left)

The Nose lines up with Lady Justices Head

Lady Justice larger?
Face to the right (over the Scales) ?

I know we don't get to mess with the Authors font/size
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Not liking the giant face, but that could just be me. I hate eyes on book covers. They creep me out.
And yea, it looks like she blew Liberty out of her nose.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Biks
Blatant Consumer
Biks began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:

Lady Justice larger?
Biks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Lady Justice larger?

I know we don't get to mess with the Authors font/size
Thanks ducks. Yeah, I've gotta do something so her face works better with th statue. I moved her face slightly off-center but I don't know if it's enough. I'll try it further to the right. And yeah, no messing with the font size on my name! Ha ha.
Advert
Old 08-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not liking the giant face, but that could just be me. I hate eyes on book covers. They creep me out.
Thanks Cin. (I think. )
Old 08-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Cin. (I think. )
You really want a laugh. The book I am reading right now is "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule. Ted Bundy's eyes are on both the front and back cover.
I literally have to put something over the book when I set it down.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
You really want a laugh. The book I am reading right now is "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule. Ted Bundy's eyes are on both the front and back cover.
I literally have to put something over the book when I set it down.
That's a creepy book to begin with. Good but creepy.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That's a creepy book to begin with. Good but creepy.
I think creepy is an understatement.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Zelandi
Enthusiast
Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Letto Frontlight/cybook muse
I would try to just erase the bottom part of her face, with a very blurred/soft edge (so it's just fading way completel). Leaving the eyes in the distance in the sky, and the statue on it's own without nose and stuff.

Perhaps erase some of the top of the head too.
Zelandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Get rid of the nose and the lips, and make one eye bigger than the other. And cross-eyed. Now, change the genre to one that represents apocalyptic hopelessness and you're good to go! (Oh, yes: And a band-aid on the left cheek.) The rest you'll have to do yourself or I'll have to charge you for my services. Badda-Bing!

But seriously: I personally don't care for the cover, because I don't like someone standing above me with a sword...or a candle.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
JUSTICE, dear, those are the scales of JUSTICE.

Liberty is the big green lady I'm looking at outside my office window.

But I agree with the composition comment.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks for the comments. I'm feeling pretty lost on this one though. It's a romance and I've got a thriller font. I want the font for branding but I can't in good conscience have a thriller font on a romance. I'm really close to getting a cover designer as I'm starting to realize I'm pretty clueless about what a cover should look like for a particular genre.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks for the comments. I'm feeling pretty lost on this one though. It's a romance and I've got a thriller font. I want the font for branding but I can't in good conscience have a thriller font on a romance. I'm really close to getting a cover designer as I'm starting to realize I'm pretty clueless about what a cover should look like for a particular genre.
Don't be clueless.

Just go to Amazon and look at the examples IN ANY GENRE in order to get ideas. You have an imagination, so use it.

The above was my serious answer. Humorous answers will cost you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you use Calibre with a fairly good sized Library (of other authors book ),

Select the tags for the genre: Grid view
and look at the covers (Calibre fills Full Screen)
A great way to se various treatments

BTW With Lady Justice so prominent, I would have said "Legal Thriller"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote