Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Question Error message: "TEMPLATE ERROR Single '}' encountered in format string"

Starting today all my e-books (440+) have this error message in the Format area. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks!
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank14612 View Post
Starting today all my e-books (440+) have this error message in the Format area. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks!
The error is not with the books, but with the Save/Send template (whichever you use)

Example:
{title/{authors}

There always needs to be a PAIR of {} Note: the Title is missing the closing (})
Bumps in the computer happen. look-see and fix yours
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The error is not with the books, but with the Save/Send template (whichever you use)

Example:
{title/{authors}

There always needs to be a PAIR of {} Note: the Title is missing the closing (})
Bumps in the computer happen. look-see and fix yours
I see the logic of what you are saying, but I have never edited or played with the templates of any of my e-books. I'm just a reader, not an editor. This just happened without any input from me. Is there any way to have Calibre inspect my books and correct the error(s) automatically?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see the logic of what you are saying, but I have never edited or played with the templates of any of my e-books. I'm just a reader, not an editor. This just happened without any input from me. Is there any way to have Calibre inspect my books and correct the error(s) automatically?
IT IS NOT AN ERROR IN THE BOOKS

It is a Send to Device template error

Glitch, Fat fingers, Cat on Keyboard. It is still a template error.

There are other places a seriously Advanced users can use a Template, but I don't think this is so in your case.

Connect your device:
When the device Icon appears (and the Job wheel STOPS)
Right Click in the DEVICE Icon: Configure this device: Now you see the template currently being used : (since everyone's tends to be different, you need to look it over. and see if you spot the location of the missing { or }
Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Right Click in the DEVICE Icon: Configure this device: Now you see the template currently being used : (since everyone's tends to be different, you need to look it over. and see if you spot the location of the missing { or }
Thanks for your instructions. I've done as you said, but I don't see any missing { or }. Here's a link to a screenshot of my Configure Nook dialog box. Can you see any error? How can I fix it?
http://gyazo.com/e65a38cc9c40109b748edd3c174f5418
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From the screen shot, it doesn't appear to be the save template in the driver configuration.

Quote:
What exactly are you doing when you see this? And what exactly do you mean by the "Format area". The only thing I can think of is where the book formats are listed in the details pane when you select a book. Can you show a screen shot?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
What exactly are you doing when you see this? And what exactly do you mean by the "Format area". The only thing I can think of is where the book formats are listed in the details pane when you select a book. Can you show a screen shot?
This is all confusing to me, since I've never done anything with Calibre other than add books and transfer them to my Nook (STG).

Here is the screenshot:
http://gyazo.com/0c58e78048b5efed0615218c65ec8d34
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Seeing Formats shows twice in the display on the right, it looks like you have added a custom column.

Could you go to Preferences | Change calibre behavior | Interface | Add your own columns and show us a screen print of that?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Seeing Formats shows twice in the display on the right, it looks like you have added a custom column.

Could you go to Preferences | Change calibre behavior | Interface | Add your own columns and show us a screen print of that?
Yes, I have added a Yes/No column, but that was a couple of weeks ago. But the problem didn't show up until today. Here's the screenshot:
http://gyazo.com/f5226392ed4c5de2d636bb8c16e90ba8

I'm signing off for the night (time is now 10:00 pm Eastern), be back tomorrow morning.

Thanks all for your help.

Frank
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No... I wanted the Custom Columns screen NOT the Behaviour screen.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, I have added a Yes/No column, but that was a couple of weeks ago. But the problem didn't show up until today. Here's the screenshot:
http://gyazo.com/f5226392ed4c5de2d636bb8c16e90ba8

I'm signing off for the night (time is now 10:00 pm Eastern), be back tomorrow morning.

Thanks all for your help.

Frank
@Frank As PeterT writes - you need to look in Preferences->Add Your Own Columns

One of your screen shots suggests you have a custom column called Formats. I'm guessing it looks something like what you see in the attachment below - I think you lost the '{' at the front of the Template field.

Tip - name the field as something other than 'Formats' so that it doesn't get confused with the 'real' Format data - eg 'Approx Formats'

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	107546  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for your instructions. I've done as you said, but I don't see any missing { or }. Here's a link to a screenshot of my Configure Nook dialog box. Can you see any error? How can I fix it?
http://gyazo.com/e65a38cc9c40109b748edd3c174f5418
I don't see any bad stuff there either
Are you by any chance using the Metadata Plugboard (a little more advanced features), that is another place Templates are used
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@TheDucks: Look in this screen shot at the metadata on the right. Observe the second occurrence of Formats beneath Path.

We're currently trying to see frank14612's custom columns.

Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@TheDucks: Look in this screen shot at the metadata on the right. Observe the second occurrence of Formats beneath Path.

We're currently trying to see frank14612's custom columns.

A picture is worth oh so many words

There is something wrong with the formula (could be a template was used here ) in: 'Field Calculated from other fields'
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

A picture is worth oh so many words

There is something wrong with the formula (could be a template was used here ) in: 'Field Calculated from other fields'
Read post 11 - its almost certain that the error & solution is as described in that post

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote