Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
livia
livia began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Aura H2O - which apps are available without flashing?

Hi,
I am considering buying a Kobo Aura H2O, that I will use not only for reading but also for relaxing a bit my eyes at work (I have already used my previous reader for web browsing etc.. so I am well aware of different experience and also limitations on eink screens) .

Browsing the forum I found references to some applications and to the fact the OS is linux, but I haven't really clear what are the possibilities of the stock software (also because some threads refer to other models of kobo). could you please add any updated info about one of more of the questions below ?

My main question is:
What is possible to do without opening up the device and replacing internal sd card?
I am already familiar with linux and with software development (but it would be my first experience at cross-compiling, is this guide still correct? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185680)

The ideal that I'd like to have :

* pocket with offline support [somewhere I read it's natively integrated but I don't find it in the specs]
* rss reader
* podcast / mp3 listening [I didn't find anything on the specs, so I guess no audio?]
* good visualization of 2 columns pdf like scientific papers (for example, the 2 columns view of sony prs t1)
* browser enoguh recent to load trello.com
* support IEEE 802.1X standard (eduroam wifi)
* ssh client (since it's linux, is it already there?)
* keyboard with TAB and CTRL (to be used in the ssh client)
* VPN (cisco anyconnect)
* at least 3 years of device survival before buying a new one
* maps
* VNC [this should be feasible according to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228168 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=246745]
* offline dictionary (german, english, italian)

Thank you for your help
livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by livia View Post
What is possible to do without opening up the device and replacing internal sd card?
Everything you find here for as long as you don't brick the device.

And even for most bricks the Aura H2O allows forcing a firmware reset by holding power button + tapping both bottom screen corners.

I have punched a hole in the back of my H2O for easy SD card access - I might not have done so had I known of this reset method before. [But then I could not have made something like the Magic Memory Upgrade Mod].
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert