Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2023, 08:20 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Scrivener NaNoWriMo Promotion

They may do this every year (I don't know) but Scrivener is running a special promotion for NaNoWriMo. If you download the trial version of Scrivener here...

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo

...instead of a 30 day trial you'll get to use the trial version from now until December 7th (so you have time to prepare for NaNoWriMo and write during November without worrying about Scrivener's trial running out). If you download the special edition (link above) you automatically qualify for 20% off if you buy before December 7th. If you write 50,000 words in November you'll get 50% off. You can download this trial even if you've tried Scrivener in the past.

I actually got this working in Wine on a Linux computer – but not the computer I usually use. But it's okay since I can run the computer remotely (within my home network) with NoMachine (nomachine.com) on any computer (free). I found I can even log into this computer remotely by Zerotier (zerotier.com) to my network (also free). This way you don't have to worry about syncing.

Now if I can only get up the gumption to write 50,000 words in November – about 1,600 words a day – I'm all set.

(Attachment, Scrivener for Windows running under Wine on Linux Mint 21.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WineScrivener.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	204309  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The regular price is $59.99 for Scrivener.

So a 50% discount is a substantial savings, 'nano'ers --- You know you KNOOOOOW who you are!

I think there may also be a discount (12%) off of a Freewrite Smart Typewriter , (but still as expensive as all hell. And I know, because I have the previous version, the Gen2.).

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-22-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Ask Stephen King how he does it...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:56 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
He has a book on writing.
It may not describe what he really does.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:10 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
He hangs his butt out the window and writes! Except on cold days.
Advert
Old 11-03-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I like the idea of Scrivener a lot, but confronted with so many options my brain just goes tilt. It's like having a 30 page menu at some restaurant - too many choices, suddenly you're not hungry anymore. ;/
I am shooting for Nano though.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:43 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I like the idea of Scrivener a lot, but confronted with so many options my brain just goes tilt. It's like having a 30 page menu at some restaurant - too many choices, suddenly you're not hungry anymore. ;/
That's basically where I'm at. Just too much going on. I think if I was real writer I might appreciate its features, but for just for fooling around writing it comes across as bloated and convoluted.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's basically where I'm at. Just too much going on. I think if I was real writer I might appreciate its features, but for just for fooling around writing it comes across as bloated and convoluted.
I've essentially stopped using it for the reasons cited here and from the other poster: There are too many choices and it seems (to me) convoluted.

I use Highland 2 AND Vellum for editing and writing - either one depending on what mood I'm in.

I use both my Freewrite devices in various circumstances and mental moods:

1) The Traveler and the Gen2 when I don't want to be disturbed by anything.

2) So I don't feel so STUPID for spending so MUCH MONEY on the damn things. (Cue insane laughter.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-04-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:25 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They may do this every year (I don't know) but Scrivener is running a special promotion for NaNoWriMo. If you download the trial version of Scrivener here...

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo

...instead of a 30 day trial you'll get to use the trial version from now until December 7th (so you have time to prepare for NaNoWriMo and write during November without worrying about Scrivener's trial running out). If you download the special edition (link above) you automatically qualify for 20% off if you buy before December 7th. If you write 50,000 words in November you'll get 50% off. You can download this trial even if you've tried Scrivener in the past.

I actually got this working in Wine on a Linux computer – but not the computer I usually use. But it's okay since I can run the computer remotely (within my home network) with NoMachine (nomachine.com) on any computer (free). I found I can even log into this computer remotely by Zerotier (zerotier.com) to my network (also free). This way you don't have to worry about syncing.

Now if I can only get up the gumption to write 50,000 words in November – about 1,600 words a day – I'm all set.

(Attachment, Scrivener for Windows running under Wine on Linux Mint 21.)
They do indeed have a promotion every November.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:57 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Is NaNoWriMo losing ground?

Going the way of the Dodo bird?

as relevant as being kidnapped for breeding purposes by aliens (from outer space)?

Or you really don't care?