Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
A peculiar Sci Fi Recommendation

Hi there, I am looking for a specific sci fi (a genre I usually avoid but can't ignore) rec. I am looking for a book where a benevolent and advanced species from 'outer space' reveals itself to man.

Before I had e-books, I read a collection called The Sentinel, by Clarke. In it was a story about a well meaning but Satanic looking alien species who only wants to help humankind.

If I can get a similar and yet almost as good novel recommendation, it would be a highlight for me.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Hi there, I am looking for a specific sci fi (a genre I usually avoid but can't ignore) rec. I am looking for a book where a benevolent and advanced species from 'outer space' reveals itself to man.

Before I had e-books, I read a collection called The Sentinel, by Clarke. In it was a story about a well meaning but Satanic looking alien species who only wants to help humankind.

If I can get a similar and yet almost as good novel recommendation, it would be a highlight for me.
You might try The Story of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang which contains the short story that the film Arrival was based on.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Have you read Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke? If not, read it. I'm not going to say more because it would spoil it.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Have you read Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke? If not, read it. I'm not going to say more because it would spoil it.
I've read the foundational short story "Guardian Angel," but not the book itself.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I did not know that it started out as a short story. I'll try to find it.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
You might try The Story of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang which contains the short story that the film Arrival was based on.
I would second this. Both that and his other collection, Exhalation, are excellent reading; both are a mix of science fiction and harder to classify stories, and as astrangerhere said, Story of Your Life (aka Arrival) fits your specification, albeit perhaps not in the manner you are looking for.

There is also this pair of books by Hank Green: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing and A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor. I loved the first one (4.5/5), although the alien part of the story is almost a side-plot to the social media part of the story. In the second book the alien aspect plays a bigger part, although human reaction remains the most significant part of the story. I was less enthused about the second book (3/5). If you don't mind a book that leaves big questions unanswered then you don't absolutely have to read on - and I actually liked the way the first book ended - but for your specification you're probably looking at reading through.

Last edited by gmw; 08-17-2022 at 10:21 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe "Way Station" by Simak
I think it's still very readable. I read it in the late 1960s and bought a new copy last year and there were some interesting bits I'd forgotten.

It's really novella length. I found one aspect a bit unsatisfactory, but enjoyed it and I'd rate it as one of the top SF Classics.

Wikipedia writes:
Quote:
Way Station is a 1963 science fiction novel by American writer Clifford D. Simak, originally published as Here Gather the Stars in two parts in Galaxy Magazine in June and August 1963. Way Station won the 1964 Hugo Award for Best Novel.
Spoiler:
The original Star Trek Series started in 1966, but AFAIK it wasn't till the ST-TNG that they explained the transporter operation, which is a similar principle to the transportation between way stations.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I did just have a thought - just the one - and that is:

The problem with the recommendations here is that, at least in some cases, saying that the story fits this specification can actually be a spoiler - perhaps a significant one. (I realised this when considering another suggestion.) In some science-fiction stories of this type it can be left uncertain until the end whether aliens are involved and/or whether their intentions are benevolent or sinister.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To Serve Man is a science fiction short story by American writer Damon Knight. It first appeared in the November 1950 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction and has been reprinted a number of times, including in Frontiers in Space (1955), Far Out (1961), and The Best of Damon Knight (1976).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To Serve Man is a science fiction short story by American writer Damon Knight. It first appeared in the November 1950 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction and has been reprinted a number of times, including in Frontiers in Space (1955), Far Out (1961), and The Best of Damon Knight (1976).
And was made into a Twilight Zone episode. I loved that short story.
Waystation is a favorite of mine and I have read it numerous times over the years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
To Serve Man is a science fiction short story by American writer Damon Knight.
I've enjoyed some old Damon Knight.

I think the only two in the SF section shelves are novellas in one Tot paperback: Rule Golden (1954) and Double Meaning (1953). Has a 1990 intro by the author.

Rule Golden might be thought of as a Benevolent Alien story, but Double Meaning is the opposite!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #12
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Carl Sagan's "Contact" is about this, although the focus of the book is on how humanity reacts to the revelation.

I also think Catherynne Valente's "Space Opera" is more-or-less about this, though I haven't read it yet.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And was made into a Twilight Zone episode. I loved that short story.
Waystation is a favorite of mine and I have read it numerous times over the years.
Apache
That's why I wanted to find out who write To Serve Man. It's an excellent Twilight Zone episode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
That's why I wanted to find out who write To Serve Man. It's an excellent Twilight Zone episode.
I remember watching To Serve Man on The Twilight Zone and thinking, I must have read the book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:29 AM   #15
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Not exactly benevolent aliens, though.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote