Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" Footnote Location?

I don't even know where to ask this question. I was reformatting my copy of Prachett's "Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" and noticed that I couldn't find the referencing location in the text for the last two footnotes.

There are six footnotes. The last one is nested from the previous (fifth) one. That (fifth) footnote reads as:

"People say things like “listen to your heart,” but witches learn to listen to other things too."

If someone has a copy of the book, could you tell me from where the footnote is referenced? The fourth footnote is from the last part of chapter 6. So, I assume that fifth one happens sometime after that. But, I can't find it.

EDIT: All the footnotes are referenced with asterisks (* or **) instead of numbers. I can't find any loose asterisks running around. There are no links back from the footnote text to the footnote references. I can't find any <a href= lines that aren't accounted for. I can't even find any loose <a fragments or href keywords. Thinking I might have done something in my editing, I went back to my many year old "original" (which has still been converted from a Kindle version to epub) and can't find the referencing location there, either. I've also gone back to my archived, original Amazon download and there's no referencing location there. My library doesn't even carry (via Overdrive) the book and I can't find a downloadable version on Archive.org or any other location. I'm beginning to wonder if the footnote even belongs in the book.

EDIT 2: It looks like I was right that that footnote doesn't belong in the book. Thinking that its topic really belonged in either Pratchett's "Witches" novels or his "Tiffany Aching" novels, I took a look around. In the very first chapter of "The Wee Free Men," both footnotes exist. That's really odd.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 07-24-2022 at 07:43 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ch2
half a slice of bread and scrape[1]

1 You scrape the butter on …

ch 3
'Me, sir. [1] I'm Bitesize

1 It's hard to translate …

Ch5
Move me in about two paws' [1]

1 Rat measurement, about an inch

Near end of Ch 6
I hope this town's got a pet shop' [1]

1 The Rats had found one in the town of Quirm, …

none in 7
none in 8
none in 9
none in 10
none in 11
none in 12

I may have missed one or two?

Numbering is from 1 in each chapter.

It's years since I read it.
Quote:
"People say things like “listen to your heart,” but witches learn to listen to other things too."
Sounds like one of the other books. So I looked. It's from "The Wee Free Men"
Here it is, start of Ch1
https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/c...erry-pratchett

I have all the Discworld and some other Pratchett on paper. None as ebooks.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-24-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My UK edition does not have those excess footnotes. Each of the four footnotes in Amazing Maurice are referenced using superscript [1] within the chapter they appear (2, 3, 5 & 6)..
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great story!
@gmw, paper or ebook?

So my page flipping / skimming skills are improving! Same result.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:19 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Great story!
@gmw, paper or ebook?

So my page flipping / skimming skills are improving! Same result.
I have most of Pratchett's books in both, including this one. I got the paper as soon as they came out, the ebooks I've collected slowly over time as I saw them come on special. I've done the same with many favourites because I like to re-read and these days nothing beats being able to read on the ereader.
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 05:54 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Oh yes. Especially when your eyes are tired and you want bigger print.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks for the nudge to re-read what is probably my second favourite Pratchett, after Small Gods
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you've not listened to the audiobook of Wee Free Men, I suggest you do so. It's excellent Stephen Briggs does a really great job with the accents. It makes this book even better then just reading it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at the US eBook edition of Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. I have have 4 footnotes. The footnote markers use an asterisk.

Those extra footnotes could be from the excerpt of Wee Free Men. The copy I have (latest version) does not have these extra footnotes.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-25-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #10
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looking at the US eBook edition of Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. I have have 4 footnotes. The footnote markers use an asterisk.

Those extra footnotes could be from the excerpt of Wee Free Men. The copy I have (latest version) does not have these extra footnotes.
I'll bet that's it. I'm almost positive there was an excerpt of another book at the end of this one. But, as part of my process, I reflexively delete those when I'm reformatting. I was really scratching my head over how extraneous footnotes appeared in a book. Thanks.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I went back to my archived, original download from Amazon (from about a year ago) and there's no preview included. I suppose it's still possible that's where it's from if they had included a preview at some point. But, those last two footnotes (unlike the other four) don't even contain id= tags.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 07-25-2022 at 10:33 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Oh yes. Especially when your eyes are tired and you want bigger print.
Not to mention the embarrassment of tapping the page of a paper book and wondering why it's not updating.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Not to mention the embarrassment of tapping the page of a paper book and wondering why it's not updating.
What I find annoying is using a Reader without a touch screen and trying to touch the screen. Last time I used such (Kindle with no touch) it was a bad experience (IMHO). It wasn't mine. I was helping someone with it.