Nay - More than one of the above 7 25.93%
Not yet - But I plan to get around to it. Someday. 6 22.22%
Never tried it; never will 8 29.63%
yes I said yes I will Yes 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #31
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In Virginia's review, who is Tom?
Google says it’s T S Eliot.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In Virginia's review, who is Tom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Google says it’s T S Eliot.
That was my take too.

But what stands out for me from Woolf's review is what I imagine many of Joyce's contemporaries felt. Seems some of her objections were more about breeding and social class than anything else. Her private thoughts on the novel were even more pretentious and snobbish, it seems. Ironic, since those are the exact things many want to attribute to Ulysses (and/or Ulysses proponents). **Shrug**
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2022, 09:31 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That was my take too.

But what stands out for me from Woolf's review is what I imagine many of Joyce's contemporaries felt. Seems some of her objections were more about breeding and social class than anything else. Her private thoughts on the novel were even more pretentious and snobbish, it seems. Ironic, since those are the exact things many want to attribute to Ulysses (and/or Ulysses proponents). **Shrug**
I wonder to what extent Woolf might have been resentful at having been pipped at the post. Stream of consciousness as a technique was out there, but Ulysses would prove to be the apotheosis, rendering such Woolfish novels as Mrs. Dalloway as in a school and not groundbreaking. And to what extent was she influenced by Joyce at that?

Let’s also not overlook the sneer at Eliot, as well, who was, y’know, American and therefore ill-bred and low class by definition, as were Irish not of the ascendancy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #34
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
She said of Eliot:

Quote:
“Pale, marmoreal Eliot was there last week, like a chapped office boy on a high stool, with a cold in his head, until he warms a little, which he did.”
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #35
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems Woolf was primarily a horrid snob, and a racist only secondarily. Eliot was of the monied classes, and I don't think "yanks" from that "great colony" were particularly opposed (though America was seen as a wild and often lawless place, which was true). Whereas Joyce was working class. The horror. He was also Irish, and the combination would certainly have qualified him as a "mick", a group universally biased against in all levels of English society.

Wasn't Woolf involved with Bloomsbury who were all banging each other? I supposed they were doing opium and coke too. Woohoo! Sadly none of this translated into books that I find tolerable.

Now, Eliot, that's another matter...it seems even the Americans are capable of great works, on occasion Mind you, Eliot saw the light and became a British citizen. I heard a recording of him reading poetry, and he demonstrated a polite British accent. Pound should have move to London.

Quote:
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many, I had not thought death had undone so many.
It took an American-born to sum up London commuting exactly.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-18-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Advert
Old 06-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #36
Pajamaman
Wizard

Here's the rest of her charming snipes:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...=pocket-newtab
Old 06-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #37
Pajamaman
Wizard

The poll might have included the option "I read Dubliners, couldn't see what all the fuss was about, so moved on."
Old 06-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #38
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Here's the rest of her charming snipes:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...=pocket-newtab
Thanks for the link. She's not someone I would like to meet, but then being another colonial, she wouldn't want to meet me either! At least she seems to have kept her insults to the privacy of her diary.

So there are five of us prepared to have a go at Ulysses. Are we going to do so?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:10 PM   #39
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks for the link. She's not someone I would like to meet, but then being another colonial, she wouldn't want to meet me either! At least she seems to have kept her insults to the privacy of her diary.

So there are five of us prepared to have a go at Ulysses. Are we going to do so?
I don't think she had anything against colonial's per se; just the one's that had to work for a living. Horrid oiks.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:46 PM   #40
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I don't think she had anything against colonial's per se; just the one's that had to work for a living. Horrid oiks.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #41
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
If the Guardian recommended it, it's good to think twice and handle cautiously. And yet, I'd still like to get around to it someday if I find myself highly unemployed. Has to be better than watching TV.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #42
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
Quote:

It took an American-born to sum up London commuting exactly.
You're on a roll here

Coincidentally, one day around 5 pm I happened to be crossing London Bridge, walking north, and the flow of clerks rushing south as so many stampeding sheep somewhat startled me.

Many moons ago, I postponed Proust for my retirement, cannot do less for Joyce. They'll have to wait for me to get a round tuit (freely available on the internet, I heard).
ableal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ableal View Post
You're on a roll here

Coincidentally, one day around 5 pm I happened to be crossing London Bridge, walking north, and the flow of clerks rushing south as so many stampeding sheep somewhat startled me.

Many moons ago, I postponed Proust for my retirement, cannot do less for Joyce. They'll have to wait for me to get a round tuit (freely available on the internet, I heard).
The only people I find selling round tuit's are always procrastinators.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #44
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ableal View Post
You're on a roll here

Now there's a thought: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust. Yay or Nay? And if you're really hard, read it in French. For what it's worth, his prose is sublime, but he doesn't do plot
Old 06-22-2022, 06:26 AM   #45
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Ulysses is one of the greatest books I have read.

I remember the first time I encountered Ulysses. I was in high school; it was years and decades ago and the girl sitting next to me, who was my absolute best friend back then, bought its very recent and very newishly popular Turkish translation. Being very bored of calculus, I tried to read Ulysses in class instead. It was a terrible experience, so harrowing that it felt like class took even longer than what calculus would have made me feel, which I shared with the translator later, not knowing who he was. Having trouble believing such a well-regarded book could be so terrible, I stopped eating lunch at school for a week to hide some money in my wallet and when enough was hoarded, I ordered an English version of Ulysses and promptly started waiting 2 months for the delivery. We didn't have e-books back in those days of yore, therefore wanting to read in languages not native equaled either waiting for weeks or paying more than the book for shipping. Ulysses arrived in time. It was sublime. It made me cry. It made me lose my sense of self. It wasn't written in my language, so I could easily lean back from the everyday language and thought patterns I was using and look at it as a marvel of linguistic engineering, it was as if I were traveling through an alien country and words constituted an architectural festival just for my mind. It was as if I was learning to think again in a solipsistic world. The people in Ulysses were me, the environment in Ulysses was all around me. It was consummate.

That said, I really like Ulysses. You should read it.

Last edited by GERGE; 06-22-2022 at 06:33 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote