Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read omnibuses?
Yes, I prefer them to individual books 12 20.00%
Yes, but only if they're cheaper than buying individually 35 58.33%
I purchase them, but split them into individual books 8 13.33%
No, I don't read them 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Do you read omnibuses?

Mostly just curious.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No. I don't read short stories at all, and even novellas are rare. It's a proper novel or nothing for me.

Edit: you seem to mean omnibus editions? Those I read gladly.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes. I like both short stories and novel series as anthologies/omnibuses.
It might be interesting to add the question whether anthologies of shorts or omnibuses of long tales are preferred?
M
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm a bit confused by the poll, so haven't answered. To me, an anthology is a collection of short stories, which I read occasionally of specific authors, like Wodehouse for example. But the poll options make me think of what I would call "boxed sets", and those I read often.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
The poll didn't answer my preference, so just writing here. I do read them when mood strikes, especially with multi-authors and certain themes. I don't prefer them over novels. I tend to be much slower with anthologies too.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 12-26-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Sorry, I meant omnibuses. I forgot the word.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I voted I prefer them to individual books, because there was no simple Yes, I do option. I do kind of prefer them at the moment because they involve less effort and time. I don't often find novels I much like these days, so I may as well shorts I don't like. They're quicker and cheaper to not like much. And I might find an author I do like.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Oh, no. I voted for anthologies.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ah okay, makes more sense!

I have read them before but not much. I bought two sets of UF at a bookstore one year but they take up a lot of room. I have bought some deals digitally but break them up and count them as separate books on goodreads and in my yearly reading goals.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I prefer omnibuses when the alternative is a serialized novel. Prime example: "The Wool Onmibus". In this case (an many others) the omnibus is really just the complete novel, when the original publications were just bits and pieces, ... snippets of the entire story.

I said "prefer" above. Actually that is too nice a word. I will not buy a serialized novel in pieces (not intentionally anyway), no matter how good it is. So the so-called "omnibus" is the ONLY way that I'll buy it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Generally I prefer the novels as individual files/publications. But it's not a strong preference so when the omnibus offers a significant saving I will buy that - so I took the second option. A couple of times I have split the omnibus after purchase, but generally don't bother.

My preference can be impacted by the nature of the books. As haertig mentions, novels that were split into serial publications I prefer put back together again.

Last edited by gmw; 12-26-2021 at 07:35 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
when the omnibus offers a significant saving I will buy that - so I took the second option.

As did I. I am not sure why Kobo sells a 3-4 book boxset at 20-30% of the price of one of its component books, but I've bought a few, so I guess it works
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I was originally picking "I purchase them, but split them into individual book", but, then I realised I only ever do that if they are cheaper. So went with, "Yes, but only if they're cheaper than buying individually". But, I always split them up when I start reading them. I sometimes start the omnibus because it was what I wanted to read at that time, but, will do the split when I am next at my computer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I treat them as individual books, but don't actually split them. They remember where I got up to. Normally I don't binge a series, so it might be months before I come back for the next book. Right now, though, I am reading an omnibus from the library, so I kind of have to binge it. I am splitting it up by reading novellas in between books.

Why would anyone not read them?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I treat them as individual books, but don't actually split them. They remember where I got up to. Normally I don't binge a series, so it might be months before I come back for the next book. Right now, though, I am reading an omnibus from the library, so I kind of have to binge it. I am splitting it up by reading novellas in between books.

Why would anyone not read them?
These echo my thoughts. I'll read them when they are more convenient (cost, availability, etc.) but I just treat them like individual books when I get to them. I'm not that picky with my library so there is no point for me to split them into separate files. I don't go out looking for them except to price compare.

When I purchase an omnibus the cost is all assigned to just the first book in the omnibus unless it is a series I know I like all of. for example, I split the Narnia books into equal portions but I assigned all of the cost to the first book in the Outlander series when I got that omnibus since I haven't read them. $1.99 for the first 7 books was too much to pass up when it sounds like I might enjoy them, so $2 for just the first is ok even if I don't like them. (Of course that was 6 years ago and I still haven't tried it. I should have held off.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote