Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #1
AlanLloyd
AlanLloyd began at the beginning.

Device: calibre 1
How to Open Viewer With Current Book

How does one get Calibre Viewer to open with the current book I am reading. Help says it does but my viewer opens with a blank book but the read book in the book list & I have to manually open it.

AlanLloyd
AlanLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
?? Your 'reader' in your stats says 'Calibre 1'
Are you running a Distro version of Calibre? The current is 2.57.1
The reasons for OLD versions:
Processors without SSE2
XP
If you select a book in the Library, then tap 'V' (view), the selected book opens in the viewer (by default)

Where in the book depends... remember, Calibre does not communicate with other apps.

In the Viewer, there are options. (Some of these have side effects that some people object to or are not appropriate if the book is to be going public))
  • Preferences Icon (the gears): General (tab): Miscellaneous options (sheaf or whatever that is called ): Just about everything below Search online URL is things to consider
  • The layout ( section arrangement) of the book. AFAIK, The viewer first opens at the (spine) beginning, then invokes the settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
AlanLloyd
AlanLloyd began at the beginning.

Device: calibre 1
I have Calibre 1.48 as I run Win XP

If I open Calibre Management Add a book, open Calibre Viewer select that book, read to some page, close Viewer, open Viewer - No book displayed, I have to select it from the recently read book list to open it.

The Calibre Viewer manual says :
"When you are in the middle of a book and close the viewer, it will remember where you stopped reading and return there the next time you open the book." Finding this seems to be an appropriate "homework" <g>

Alan Lloyd
AlanLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLloyd View Post
I have Calibre 1.48 as I run Win XP

If I open Calibre Management Add a book, open Calibre Viewer select that book, read to some page, close Viewer, open Viewer - No book displayed, I have to select it from the recently read book list to open it.

"When you are in the middle of a book and close the viewer, it will remember where you stopped reading and return there the next time you open the book." Finding this seems to be an appropriate "homework" <g>

Alan Lloyd
Finding this seems to be an appropriate "homework" <g>

Did you tick, remember Current PAGE WHEN QUITTING?

I do think we are reading more into this than was intended.
Page Yes
Book No

Tested on XP Calibre 2.0 (yes, I got it before it was turned OFF )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLloyd View Post
That is expected behavior.

Quote:

Alan Lloyd
Correct. As soon as you select that book from your Recently Read list, it will open at the page you left off.
But you still have to open the right book...

Note: There is a command-line ONLY option to continue reading with the previously-opened book. I assume the assumption was that if you are opening it from the File browser, you launched it with a specific book anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert