No, I just read 30 24.00%
A few, but I mostly read books 46 36.80%
Yes, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I still read some. 51 40.80%
This is mobileread, not mobilelisten 2 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #61
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
If this is your issue, you need to select better ear buds. I recommend JVC Sport for moderate noise cancelling. Midpriced Koss were also good. If you are interested in total noise cancelling ones, just post again, I'm sure others could suggest brands.
For safety's sake, i'm not sure i really want to keep out all ambient noise.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #62
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Forgot to say… audiobooks are great for revisiting your favorites. I don't like cutting into my "real" reading time with re-reading books, but will enjoy listening to an old favorite. And you don't have to pay as close attention compared to something you are hearing for the first time.
This.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #63
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
It Worked!!

I got my Sansa Clip today (can't believe how small it is!!). Transferred my audiobooks, but not as much luck with music (neither iTunes nor Amazon Cloud nor Windows Media Player seems to be playing nicely. Have to play around some more). Decided to see if exercising worked as well with audiobooks as a lot of you said. Well, it did! I was working out for 45 minutes a day before Christmas. Then I got sick, and so I have been off for a couple months. I tried a couple times, but it was really hard. Decided to try with an audiobook I am almost done with. It worked! I was able to do my 45 minutes with no issues. So, audiobooks are for knitting and working out. I am so grateful for all the ideas.

Especially grateful because I have found some series that are not complete in ebook format at the library, but there are some audiobooks that will complete the series.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #64
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Awesome! And good job on the workout!!! I find the audiobooks keep me motivated to get outside and walk. I also like TV shows on the treadmill if it is a series that connects from show to show.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #65
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I got my Sansa Clip today (can't believe how small it is!!). Transferred my audiobooks, but not as much luck with music (neither iTunes nor Amazon Cloud nor Windows Media Player seems to be playing nicely. Have to play around some more). Decided to see if exercising worked as well with audiobooks as a lot of you said. Well, it did! I was working out for 45 minutes a day before Christmas. Then I got sick, and so I have been off for a couple months. I tried a couple times, but it was really hard. Decided to try with an audiobook I am almost done with. It worked! I was able to do my 45 minutes with no issues. So, audiobooks are for knitting and working out. I am so grateful for all the ideas.

Especially grateful because I have found some series that are not complete in ebook format at the library, but there are some audiobooks that will complete the series.
Congrats! So glad to hear it worked for you! I don't think I would have spent as much time as I did on the treadmill this past year without audiobooks (though I need to get going on that again myself, LOL). It definitely makes the time pass a bit more quickly.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #66
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
If I only listen, and not do anything else, the pace is usually too slow for me.
Mivo, if you've given it a good go, then you might be better off with performances rather than narrators. The best example I can give is Harry Potter - Jim Dale 'performed' Harry Potter rather than just read it (I have not heard the Stephen Frye version). OR, consider BBC productions of various authors such as Agatha Christie.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #67
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
due to my long commutes I listen to audiobooks more than I read
but I like to read
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #68
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I forgot to mention my new favorite thing about audiobooks -

Finally solved my life-long "Can't Read in the Shower" issue.

sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #69
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
On a related note -

Interesting OpEd fron the NY Times - Audiobooks and the Return of Storytelling - outside the paywall (for now).

Quote:
The ability to read has always been invested with more importance than mere speech.... But for most of human history literature has been spoken out loud. The Iliad and the Odyssey were sung.

- T. M. Luhrmann
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote