Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
It may not be exciting to those of us already using a Kobo or one of its apps, but this is huge for Kobo. There's no denying that Facebook has a lot of members and having their app/store integrated with Facebook will probably gain them a lot of new customers.
I think they'll gain a lot of new customers when they implement features that other eBook readers have. Specifically search within a book, shelves/collections/tags, and annotations for sideloaded books (not just highlights, text notes as well).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #47
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
All I can say after reading the blog... Great disappointment in the direction they're going.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #48
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post
<YAWN> that "exciting" announcement is pretty much a non-event for me. One of the reasons I enjoy reading is that it is a great way for me to unwind after a day dealing with people in a variety of demanding situations. I really don't feel the need to socially interact with people via FB while reading.

Ding ding ding ding ding!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #49
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I think they'll gain a lot of new customers when they implement features that other eBook readers have. Specifically search within a book, shelves/collections/tags, and annotations for sideloaded books (not just highlights, text notes as well).
I thought you gave up your KT?

But I have to disagree; the average user doesn't care about the above; they care about being able to read a book easily and to bring many books with them. anything else is for very serious readers, and for all intents and purposes, I really don't believe the current generation of e-readers as a whole were completely designed for serious readers. It's getting there, but I think it's a generation or two off.

I, personally, am an average reader; I read a book or two in a month, unless it's a really gripping series. My wife and 10 year old are serious readers and can whip through books like there's no tomorrow and they discuss them between themselves...They still haven't "required" the features mentioned above... *shrug*

as for the Facebook thing, it's, very pure and simple, a marketing strategy on behalf of KOBO. They want people to share what books they are reading so that others might be tempted to buy it once they are directed to KOBO's store to take a look at it. It's no different than the current sharing quotes, apart from the fact you aren't sharing quotes any more (although you can still share quotes...different feature..but the same... ). Again, something as an average user I probably won't use much, but someone who's big on sharing everything on Facebook probably will, and get new customers it will.

Lastly, Searching within a book..it's coming...soon...very soon....
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #50
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
But I have to disagree; the average user doesn't care about the above; they care about being able to read a book easily and to bring many books with them.
Quote:
as for the Facebook thing, it's, very pure and simple, a marketing strategy on behalf of KOBO. They want people to share what books they are reading so that others might be tempted to buy it once they are directed to KOBO's store to take a look at it.
I have to agree whole heartedly. I rarely (if ever) searched in a REAL book (save of course a dictionary, thesaurus, or similar book).

And the WHOLE idea behind the social aspects is marketing. It's funny; many people say they don't want it, yet witness the popularity of the "What am I reading" thread.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #51
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

I do not use any Social Networking site, including Facebook, because I do not need to and because I do not see any benefit for anyone except the companies behind it / using it.

I could not care less about social reading. Has been turned off from the first minutes I switched on my KT. So I am one of the users using their device "merely" as a replacement for a plain simple book.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #52
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
What a let down. I thought they were going to announce some thing special.

I couldn't care less about Social Networking.

What a waste of time.

Peace,
John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #53
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yup! And then the people buying it will finally use it to READ. It's a READING DEVICE! Not a smartphone, notebook, laptop or PC.

The whole SocNet BS is just that, BS.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I have to agree whole heartedly. I rarely (if ever) searched in a REAL book (save of course a dictionary, thesaurus, or similar book).
I search in books all the time. My main interest is crime fiction, and if a character shows up who's been absent for a while, it's extremely useful to be able to quickly search and see when they last appeared in the story. This is a major benefit of eBooks over paper books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #55
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I want the ability to annotate quite desperately, but I'll admit it's not for reading. I've never felt the need to make notes in a book I read for pleasure, and I read quite a bit. I want the ability for when I edit my own stories and books. Reading on an ereader is different than reading on a computer screen, and I think it would be great to add my writing to the Kobo and be able to make editing notes.

For reading, I adore my Touch. If it had collections I doubt I'd use it. I do all that stuff on Calibre and wouldn't duplicate the effort on the Kobo. I find sorting by author/title suits my needs, and I'll go through and add things to the shortlist if I think I'll be reading them soon so they're easier to find. My two avid reader siblings who have Sonys use them just to read as well. My sister A can whip through books like nobody's business, and she's never done anything on her Sony except open a book and read straight through.

Kobo could have the best ereader on the planet, but let's face it, they're still new and I think many people in the U.S. (average customers, not people who follow this stuff like those of us who frequent mobileread) still think they're Borders. Average customers are still going to be drawn to the big names in the business for their ereading experience - Amazon and Barnes and Noble. As someone else noted, this connection to Facebook is strictly a marketing move to attempt to gain them market share. No one is going to become huge by just concentrating on a product. They still have to market the thing.

Last edited by Suzanna; 09-23-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I thought you gave up your KT?

I did. I can't sell what I don't have. Haven't received it back from Tech Support yet. Was told it was mailed Monday. So, next week it'll be back in the Flea Market for $75. If anyone's interested...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #57
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dear Mr.T
I do not doubt that you have rarely searched in a REAL book. Same goes for me. It entails rereading countless passages, innumerable page turns and bloody fingers. The status quo of the Kobo touch.

However, there exist novels of such considerable length, depicting so very many characters, that I refuse to believe that, even you, would not make ample use of a searching function. A matter of taste of course, I wouldn't need searching in 40 page novellas either.

Just one example: There is an epic cycle called "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan consisting of, now, more than a dozen books, all pretty long. Every time a new volume came out, I just appended it to the rest. On my ereader that's over ten thousand pages. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of characters. The whole thing was published over(it seems like) the last two decades. Even the original author died before he finished!

There is no way in hell or elsewhere that I would be able to keep track of so many characters, over such a long time, without a searching function.

Since the advent of digital devices(i.e. computers), the ability to search within the body of data has been one of the most integral functions.

For Kobo to deny users such a basic function borders on sullen defiance, reminiscent of my niece a couple of years ago. She wouldn't do something like that anymore 'cause she's all grown up now(she's eight).
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #58
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
For Kobo to deny users such a basic function borders on sullen defiance, reminiscent of my niece a couple of years ago. She wouldn't do something like that anymore 'cause she's all grown up now(she's eight).
*grin* trust me, the defiance will come back, and come back in force it will; I now have a burgeoning defiant tween, and a full force terrible 2's toddler.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #59
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Well, I'm going to go against the crowd and say that it could be a nice feature. I read 4 or 5 books a months so am always looking for recommendations - and since I have similar interests to my Facebook friends, then having access to their recommendations would be great - we already exchange emails recommending books, so this seems a natural extension.

Saying that, since I read on the Kobo Wifi, I don't have access to Reading Life anyways, so I can't get too excited about it.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #60
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
Well, I'm going to go against the crowd and say that it could be a nice feature. I read 4 or 5 books a months so am always looking for recommendations - and since I have similar interests to my Facebook friends, then having access to their recommendations would be great - we already exchange emails recommending books, so this seems a natural extension.

Saying that, since I read on the Kobo Wifi, I don't have access to Reading Life anyways, so I can't get too excited about it.

Well sir, you're in luck, and there's no need to wait for Kobo. Head on over to goodreads, and get started. Facebook intergration (of some kind, I have no idea how that works.) reccomendations to and from friends, as well as statistical reccomendations based on the books you've rated.... all there.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote