Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Pratchett's "Witches Abroad": Footnote Hijinks

EDIT: Aargh. Never mind. The footnote in the original is split from the previous footnote text and refers to that footnote's location. It's not one of Pratchett's nested footnotes. It's just a mistake. Sorry.

OP: Since the mods moved my other footnote problem question into this forum, I'll assume it's a good choice to ask another. This time, in Pratchett's "Witches Abroad" (which is, of course, an excellent book to read), the 3rd footnote is only partially present and doesn't seem to belong to the sentence that originates it.

I've checked the epub I'm editing, the epub first converted in Calibre and my archived azw3 as downloaded last year from Amazon. They all have the footnote originating very near the beginning where a certain person and her helper is putting up an effigy with mirror, hat and coat. The two single-sentence paragraphs before the footnote are:

"The piece of mirror gleamed between the darkness of the hat and the coat.

“Will it work?” he said."

The fragment of the footnote I actually have says: "are being whisked away on the roof-racks of stolen cars and loyal alsatians are choking on the fingers of midnight burglars. And they’re not confined to any one world. Hundreds of female Mercurian <i>jivpts</i> turn four tiny eyes on their rescuers and say, “My brood-husband will be livid—it was <i>his</i> travel module.” Urban myths are alive."

Does anyone have the full footnote text or know where it actually belongs?

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 08-04-2022 at 06:17 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #2
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I'll bet that split footnote text is because someone faithfully reproduced an artifact of the the original dead-tree version. The footnote was probably too big, so they carried it over to the bottom of the next page. To do that with an epub, they probably just stuck another footnote sign on the first paragraph at the top of that next page and continued from there.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Actually, I'll bet that split footnote text is because someone faithfully reproduced an artifact of the the original dead-tree version. The footnote was probably too big, so they carried it over to the bottom of the next page. To do that with an epub, they probably just stuck another footnote sign on the first paragraph at the top of that next page and continued from there.
It's the same sort of thing in Wryd Sisters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's the same sort of thing in Wryd Sisters.
I didn't notice any problems with the footnotes in "Wyrd Sisters." Which one was odd in your book?
Old 08-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Page 9 on my paperback edition from 1992.
Takes about 1/3rd page & is all on that page. The roof-racks is about 1/2 way in footnote.

* And people are wrong about urban myths. Logic and reaso

Oh sod it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:15 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
I didn't notice any problems with the footnotes in "Wyrd Sisters." Which one was odd in your book?
There are some footnotes that link to other footnotes. It would be best to combine these footnotes (which I did).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are some footnotes that link to other footnotes. It would be best to combine these footnotes (which I did).
Until just this minute, I always thought Pratchett's nested footnotes were his being funny. But, perhaps those were just his way of getting a lot of footnote material to fit into the space available at the bottom of the page of old printed books.

I've seen him do nested footnotes, footnotes on succeeding sentences, and even pretend footnotes (they follow "true" footnotes and have superscripted characters for reference, but no id= or href= tags of their own). As I was moving them from their own chapters up to the referencing text, I tended to leave them in their existing format. Now that I think about it, I probably should have just combined those "split" footnotes into one lump.