Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I've subscribed to KU since its inception. But for the last couple of years at least, Amazon has offered a reduced rate (33% off monthly rate for a one year commitment, I think 40% off for a 2 year commitment) on Prime Day (towards end of July).
I originally got a discounted year when I bought my Fire HD 8, but I canceled back in February after the year was up because I hadn't been using it much. However, there's still a few authors whose backlists are in KU that I really want to read so I'll probably re-sub if there's a Prime Day deal.

Last year, Prime Day was July 12, which is about two weeks before my birthday, so I can count it as a present to myself.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Little tip: Put any books on your wishlist over at ereaderiq's price watch. Many KU books go on sale for free for 5 days or less every three months.

And as to the last part, don't even try it. Small authors need to get paid.
Cinisajoy, you know you managed to say small authors need to get paid and explained how to get their books free in the same post

Have you considered politics
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Thanks for all the helpful replies
Decided to bite the bullet and join. So far its looking good.
I had only wondered if it was possible to save them, as sometimes a good book I love to read again.
Anyway off to read now.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I keep a wishlist of KU books and periodically joined to read those for the month. I gave a fire to my sister so that she could read from KU at the same time. You can have 10 books out at a time and they can be read on all devices linked to your account. In the US, if the book also has a whispersync audio, often for $1.99, you can buy it at the time you select the book. Some will include that audio for free during checkout.

Its great if there are books you want too read, but it rarely includes top notch authors. My late sister was disabled, so easily went through 30 books in a month, so well worth it. Me, not so much.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies
Decided to bite the bullet and join. So far its looking good.
I had only wondered if it was possible to save them, as sometimes a good book I love to read again.
Anyway off to read now.
If the book you want to read is still in KU, you can check it out again, as often as you want!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If it helps, think of KU like the Netflix DVD queue. So many choices, but they aren't intended to be yours to keep forever.

If you read a book in KU and love it, just buy a copy. Most books in the program aren't likely to be very expensive to purchase anyway (and the authors likely could use every bit of cash you can throw at them).
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #22
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In the UK we have just received Prime Reading which seems to be a cross between the old library and Kindle ul. With prime membership you get to borrow up to 10 ebooks or magazines at a time, from admittedly smaller selection. There are probably other threads about this but couldn't find any.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #23
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 AM   #24
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If the book you want to read is still in KU, you can check it out again, as often as you want!
Didn't know that
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 AM   #25
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
In the UK we have just received Prime Reading which seems to be a cross between the old library and Kindle ul. With prime membership you get to borrow up to 10 ebooks or magazines at a time, from admittedly smaller selection. There are probably other threads about this but couldn't find any.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk
Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #26
Jo69
Addict

Such a lot of helpful tips
Old 05-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #27
Jo69
Addict

So is it possible to not join Kindle Unlimited after my free trial and have the free trial later in the year again before i may join permanently?
As noticed a few of the books I want are also at my local library.
They do not normally have many.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
So is it possible to not join Kindle Unlimited after my free trial and have the free trial later in the year again before i may join permanently?
As noticed a few of the books I want are also at my local library.
They do not normally have many.
You don't join permanently. It is on a month to month basis.
You sign up and if you like it, they will bill you every month after the free trial. If you don't see a use, cancel before the free trial expires. You can always rejoin later but I think they limit you to one free trial.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know all of their rules for free trials, but I did a trial when KU first came out and am now on a second free trial (2 months this time). The second trial however is from a Groupon deal which might make a difference or it could be like Audible where folks have done many promo memberships over and over again.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #30
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Most definitely unethical.
------------------------
But DeDRMing a KU book has no excuse or rationalization possible because authors *only* get paid *if* the book is read. Downloading a KU title, DeDRMing it "to read later" and returning it unread means the author never gets paid. Same as outright piracy.--
How is it "unread" with the author not getting paid if it is DeDRMed? Won't that process mark it as "read?"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote