Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
300 vs 265 ppi (Glo HD vs Aura H20 Edition 2)

Hi,

I recently lost my Glo HD and was looking for which eReader to buy as a replacement. With the KAO screen issues (is it still ongoing?), I was considering the Aura H20 Edition 2, but the 265 ppi display is bugging as it would be a downgrade from my previous Glo HD's 300 ppi.

In your subjective experience, can you easily spot the difference between 265 vs 300 ppi? If so, would it be a dealbreaker for you?

And more specifically, people who went from a Glo HD to an Aura H20 Edition 2, did you perceive the overall experience as an upgrade or as a downgrade?

Any food for thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by HYPE; 12-13-2017 at 12:02 PM.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
I would also like to see responses to this question(s).
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For some it will be a definite yes, for others a no.

I don't really notice a difference between my Aura HD and a Paperwhite personally (different software of course, but...).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For some it will be a definite yes, for others a no.

I don't really notice a difference between my Aura HD and a Paperwhite personally (different software of course, but...).
Because Brian said it better than I could.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

The only screen issue that I'm aware of is a greenish hue from a poorly calibrated LED, noticeable in varying degrees. In my case, the green is not very intense or wide, and only appears in one LED when the intensity is at 85% or above. I was initially disappointed with that, but quickly found that I preferred to manually control the lighting anyway, which means that I could avoid the issue entirely. That being said, I don't really think it's acceptable as a matter of principle, because of the price that the device commands. Some folks from the forums were able to return and replace their devices until they received a model with no issues, but many kept receiving devices with the green light as replacements. Basically, I'd say you have a 50:50 chance. I don't believe Kobo fixed it, since there was no real outcry, and they sold like hotcakes regardless. Of course, one could always claim that it was one faulty batch, but who knows.

I can't comment on DPI density in E-Ink readers, as the Aura One is my first such device. What I can say is that I can notice the resolution difference depending on how close I tend to be to the screen. I have good eyesight, and prefer having smaller and denser letters to better simulate a printed page, which means that I tend to read my Kobo as I would a book - relatively close to my face, at about a 20-30cm distance. At that distance, compared with my other (non e-ink) devices, the DPI difference is noticeable, and the letters are crisper the higher the DPI. However, it really doesn't go beyond that feeling of crispness, so if you tend to read at a greater distance, don't care for it, have poorer eyesight, or even if you tend to read fast, then I'd say either should be acceptable.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I have a glo HD, an aura One, and three months ago I bought an H2o2 as a spare.
Apart from the smaller size, the main differences for me are the color of the screen, darker - but that might be different for others - and the light range, much smaller than on the One. The comfort light is more "lemony" too, I prefer the pinker tinge of the One, a question of taste. The DPI difference is hardly visible to my aging eyes.
I had problems on the One for a couple of days, and took up the H2o2. I was glad to have it, and it was ok during the day for run of the mill books, less so at night. I was very glad though to go back to my One - real estate and lights.

EDIT: the Glo HD is much too small for me after living with the 6.8" then 7.8".

Last edited by anacreon; 12-13-2017 at 02:25 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I own a couple of 300dpi readers (Pocketbook and Tolino), a 265dpi H20 (original), and a 212dpi Energy Sistem ereader.

I find the difference between the 212 and 300 dpi screens is noticeable, though I could live with the 212dpi screen (indeed until I recently got my 300dpi Pocketbook Touch HD, it was my preferred reader), but I can't say there is any discernible difference between 265 and 300 for me.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've compared the H2O to a PW3 using the exact same font and there is no discernible difference. Go for the H2O is that's what you want. You'll love the larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

I notice a difference, but 212->265 was more noticeable than 265->300.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For me, I can see the difference between Aura H2O and both the Glo HD and Aura ONE. But, it doesn't worry me. If I go from reading on one the 300DPI devices to the Aura H2O, I can see the difference, but within a couple of minutes, I stop noticing it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
The only screen issue that I'm aware of is a greenish hue from a poorly calibrated LED, noticeable in varying degrees.
As far as I have seen, this occurs in some Aura Ones, and hasn't been reported in H2O2s.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As far as I have seen, this occurs in some Aura Ones, and hasn't been reported in H2O2s.
Yes, I was only referring to the KAO. I have no info on H20s, so I just presumed all was in order? I'm just sceptical that the noted KAO issue was/is fixed in later batches of the Aura One itself. Then again, I'd presume that the Limited Edition won't be an issue.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I haven't used a Kobo, but I find the DPI makes a difference when lighted. Whether it actually makes a difference when YOU are reading is subjective. I rarely use a lighted reader, but the higher DPI does improve letter saturation and contrast.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I haven't used a Kobo, but I find the DPI makes a difference when lighted. Whether it actually makes a difference when YOU are reading is subjective. I rarely use a lighted reader, but the higher DPI does improve letter saturation and contrast.
I disagree. I have an H2O and compared to a PW3, I think the H2O looks better. I don't notice any difference in the DPI between 265 on the H2O and 300 on the PW3. I've not been able to compare to a KA0 or Glo HD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #15
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
iPad is 265 ppi, you can use it as a reference. There is no difference you will be able to discern unless you have perfect vision. It is all about diminishing returns. An upgrade from Glo to Glo HD is greatly noticeable, that is 213 ppi to 300 ppi. Touch (160 ppi) to Glo is even more noticeable.

265 is more than enough for most people.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote