Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Best UI on Older E-readers?

I just got a claimed NOS Sony PRS-350 and love the user interface compared to Kindle and Kobo all touch screen units. The 5 buttons across the bottom and the overall user interface are excellent IMO The included stylus is a neat feature too and the Sony aesthetics of their readers is hard to beat with the metal outer covers. Enough so that I just grabbed a PRS-900 off of Amazon with cases and original boxes, charger etc.

Had to update the firmware on my PRS-505 and PRS-350 as delivered but both went without a hitch. PRS-505 firmware was so old it did not support EPUB files. So I now have the PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350 and the PRS-900 is on the way. Be interesting to compare the PRS-900 to my Kindle Oasis 2, both with 7" screens.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I've had a Sony PRS-T2 for awhile, but haven't used it much. Mostly kept it because it gave me access to my Sony/Kobo library. But I've been reading with it for the last couple weeks and discovered that I like it quite a bit. Meanwhile I bought a Sony PRS-300 from Goodwill online (shopgoodwill.com) for only $6 (including s/h) during their Cyber Monday sale and it's like new. Very nice little reader. I tried one of these before (then sold it) but, at that time, I was more into messing with PRS+, etc., rather than just using it. I think I was trying to make it more like a Kindle or Nook – now I'm happy to leave it "as is" and find I like it. I wish Sony was still in the eBook Reader business. Choice is a good thing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I liked the UI for the 505. You could jump to specific letters when scrolling through authors/titles (if I recall correctly). This is pretty standard with Android and iOS, why not e-readers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I love all my Sonys! I've been using my T2 lately. I got a 950 not that long ago. Wish they'd combined the screen on the 950 with the wonderful leather-like back and built in cover on the 900. I'm not fond of the screen on the 900.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I liked the UI for the 505. You could jump to specific letters when scrolling through authors/titles (if I recall correctly). This is pretty standard with Android and iOS, why not e-readers?
I can do that on my Kindles, but not on my Kobo Aura HD. On the Kobo, I can go to a specific page in my list, but not a specific letter when I sort by author.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The 505 uses Linux.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The UI for Kobo is pretty good and the current version is available for most of the other devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
For me, Kobo's old tiled home screen was the best UI of any of the e-readers I've messed around with (Kobo, Nook, Kindle and Sony).

I've used a Sony 505 and didn't care for the UI at all. I admit, it could be that I didn't use it long enough. But it felt cumbersome. I loved the solid metal body. That baby felt like it was built to last.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote