Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
As I already wrote, I can only speak about the buyout Firmware version I tested (and I specifically emphasized. That it was only about a tested version of me), then in FB2 no pictures, as well as more than 30% do not read books, so as not supported by their coding.
Perhaps in the latest version of Firmware, these problems have been corrected.
Yes, it was corrected more than one year ago...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Yes, it was corrected more than one year ago...
I looked in the appropriate forum, the latest version of firmware you speak of is 33, is really much better than the previous one, but it appeared in August this year, rather than a year ago ...
Support fb2 appeared in version 29, but in versions 29 and 30, it was very bad, this is precisely the buyout version I tested (I had a long JetBook, at first I was on it 29 and then install version 30, version 33 I have not seen).

This topic is not about that. I'm happy for users JetBook, that it added FBreader and greatly improved support for formats like like to say in Russia, "Better late than never."

I beg your pardon, said that the outdated information and did not know about the appearance in August of a new Firmware.

Last edited by Forkosigan; 12-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Okay, guess I won't take this seriously.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
Okay, guess I won't take this seriously.
Why?
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems like a slightly curious selection - eg no mention at all of the CyBook Opus, which is (IMHO) the best ePub device on the market. Perhaps it's influenced by its primarily Russian readership?
Harry, I hate to disillusion you, but I think the PRS-900 is now possibly better for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
The nook is my device, don't know why it's knocked down to three stars. I sure hope it isn't cause of the technical issues already fixed! (I don't read that language, sorry)
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
As I have a Kindle and I'm a Kindle fan. My choose is Kindle at the first place, but he isn't in a good position, then I'm not going to start a fight with the other ereader owners.

This isn't a forum to make little wars saying what is the better device, but a forum to discuss the pros and cons of both. To make a point that all are good in some functions and deppens of the user.

Last edited by Nathan Campos; 12-26-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #23
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Seems like a slightly curious selection - eg no mention at all of the CyBook Opus, which is (IMHO) the best ePub device on the market. Perhaps it's influenced by its primarily Russian readership?

It is strange that the Opus is not on the list. I live in Moscow and have looked at the Opus here and was impressed with it.

I was most impressed with the Pocketbook 301+, which ranked #2. That is why I ended up ordering the eSlick from the U.S. They are the same hardware with just a different firmware package. Although from the reviews I'm seeing of the eSlick, maybe I should have just bought the Pocketbook. One cool think about the Pocketbook firmware (at least the one I looked at here) is that it comes with games: chess, solitaire, suduko, and maybe another one. I've never seen that on another ebook reader and thought it a cool idea. It was also very fast on the page turns.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The Kindle may be lacking in many areas, and may thus desire it's ranking.... but ..... If it was open to other formats and buying options other than the Kindle store and it's DRM... I would own a Kindle instead of my Sony. I respect the Kindle development and marketing team for finally putting ebooks on the popular landscape. For most of the 10 years I have been reading ebooks, I felt as if I was the only person in the world doing it. The Kindle has just about single handedly made ebook a household word....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #25
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
It is strange that the Opus is not on the list. I live in Moscow and have looked at the Opus here and was impressed with it.

I was most impressed with the Pocketbook 301+, which ranked #2. That is why I ended up ordering the eSlick from the U.S. They are the same hardware with just a different firmware package. Although from the reviews I'm seeing of the eSlick, maybe I should have just bought the Pocketbook. One cool think about the Pocketbook firmware (at least the one I looked at here) is that it comes with games: chess, solitaire, suduko, and maybe another one. I've never seen that on another ebook reader and thought it a cool idea. It was also very fast on the page turns.
the only way a real ereading device brand will set itself apart from the herd of other devices using the exact same hardware is indeed the firmware. From my research you are right that the eSlick does not have great firmware, in fact I believe they likely share firmware with other brands the only difference being the splash screens and of course the name of the device if displayed somewhere.

OTOH, Pocketbook has done yeoman duty in developing their own very solid firmware. And they appear to be one of the few device makers who actually encourage developers to create apps to run on their devices. This, if things keep moving as they have been, will setup Pocketbook as a potential rival for the "Big Two" makers as well as the other brands with more backing from big worldwide corporate entities. I for one want to see a company like Pocketbook become a success. In my opinion the already are and I look forward to the devices to be offically announced, and hopefully with a release date come CES time...hinthint...large format with touch/wifi/mobile broadband (MBB) and more...and the PB360 with it's integrated hard-shell cover amplifies what is wrong with other designs of the current options for these portable readers...you need to buy a bulky awkward cover defeating the whole idea of a portable device. Basically they got the not only the design right but also the firmware.

Other brands have failed miserably on both counts, one that comes to mind bragged shamelessly for over a year about how great the device they, ahem, "MAKE" would be so much better than the rest...hardly, they turned out to be clones that a dozen other brands sell with the same firmware.

But, back to the eSlick, I seem to recall reading a very new review where the review was pleased as could be with the new firmware/version or something...I could be misremembering though. So, I doubt it is a bad choice, it was just a choice and you will still enjoy it for a long time.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
A well deserved win for the 505!
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry, I hate to disillusion you, but I think the PRS-900 is now possibly better for ePub.
If it is, Jon, then I'll be delighted to hear it, not "disillusioned" . But it's only been out for a few days, so I don't think anyone's really had a chance to give it a thorough test. For example, with its new firmware, the Opus/Gen3 now allows the user to switch between left or full justification, and to manually change the margin settings and the font; does the PRS-900 allow this?

Last edited by HarryT; 12-27-2009 at 06:45 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
[QUOTE=HarryT;712761.... For example, with its new firmware, the Opus/Gen3 now allows the user to switch between left or full justification, and to manually change the margin settings and the font; .?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool right there!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #29
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
For example, with its new firmware, the Opus/Gen3 now allows the user to switch between left or full justification, and to manually change the margin settings and the font; does the PRS-900 allow this?
OpenInkpot on HanlinV3 already did this, which is the main reason I'm using it :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #30
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
As I have a Kindle and I'm a Kindle fan. My choose is Kindle at the first place, but he isn't in a good position, then I'm not going to start a fight with the other ereader owners.

This isn't a forum to make little wars saying what is the better device, but a forum to discuss the pros and cons of both. To make a point that all are good in some functions and deppens of the user.
It's a popularity vote post, not an item merit review. So more people in Russia prefer sony 505 over kindle. You like Kindle - very good for you. I personally don't - also good for me.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote