Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
They do mention both at the irexshop.com, but the only product available to buy is DR1000S.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're right; it's no longer listed. It definitely was available when the DR1000 was first on sale. Perhaps they found that nobody wanted the non-touchscreen version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I don't know what the non-"touch"-screen cost, but I can imagine it was still a relativley expensive device, and if you are prepared and able to buy something that expensive, I can't imagine that the difference in price in comparison the lower functinality, would make it an attractive buy for most people.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it was US$100 cheaper, so you're right, it was a pretty minor saving.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
you brought up a good point harryt, since the iRex is more considered a tablet pc than an ereader, i think im gonna look into some of them.
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
im thinking about the same

and why is the 2nd edition of the irex iliad an opinion? isn it possible to read a4 pdf on it? why not reading in landscape half of each page?
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Certainly the iLiad is an excellent device - but the DR1000 is a lot better. I say that, having owned both. It's not just that the DR has a larger screen; the firmware on the DR is a lot better designed, and much more "usable". Note also that, although the iLiad is still being sold, iRex have stopped development work on it, so it's a "dead" product in a sense. All the development effort is going into the DR range.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-01-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
Floeee
Groupie

they have also stopped supporting the second edition?

ok sorry for all of these questions, but it seems to me that you are the only person who has owned both ^^

reading pdf was only a bit too small on 505 (depends on the pdf, some more readable, some not) and i believe, that the screen of the iliad would do very well

so what experiences do you have with reading pdf on both? is the reformating of the iliad as good as the DR (im expecting, that you dont have to zoom or view in landscape on the DR when viewing a4) when viewing in landscape or zooming or something like that

and which one has faster page turns? i also like the usb hub on the iliad
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #24
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I tried the iliad and for A4 pdfs in landscape mode it was quite readable. However I went for the DR1000 as the larger screen makes it so much more usable for A4 and larger pdf files. The zooming and scroll functions work faster too.

The iliad however has a usb port that you can plug a flash card into and I miss that on the DR.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
which one has faster page turns?
The iLiad typically has slower than average page turns, and iRex quotes about 0.5s longer per page for the iLiad than the DR1000S. See E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices. Note that the iLiad is the same width in landscape mode as the DR1000S in portrait mode. Also, both have "all day" battery life, but this is relatively poor for an EInk device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #26
Floeee
Groupie

ok thank you sooo much, will be a hard decision ^^

what do you mean with "all day" battery life?

edit: i just read, that the irex got a wacom touchscreen
so i have a wacom and its not possible to use it with my finger, only with the pen
is it possible to use the irex with your finger>?

Last edited by Floeee; 09-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Wacom touch screen is only usable with the stylus. But there are very few things that you have to use the stylus for - normal operations like opening files, paging through them, etc, you can do with the buttons. Obviously you use the stylus for annotation, but you couldn't "write" on the screen with your finger .
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #28
Floeee
Groupie

yeah thats right, but im thinking about the zooming option
i dont want to take everytime this pen

is it the same at the DR and the iliad too?
for the rest you are right
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's only one "zoom mode" for which you have to use the stylus, and that's where you manually tell it what size to "crop" to, to remove the margins. All the other options can be selected with the buttons, at least on the DR.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
Floeee
Groupie

ok thats not the best news to hear about, but thank you

because i would like to move my pdf with finger like at the prs600 shown in a video around here

i guess on the iliad, you arent able to zoom with the finger tooo