Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
scpo
scpo began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
Gutenberg

I have a BlackBerry 8330 Curve. I'd like to read some of the free ebooks on Gutenberg's site. What's the best reader for a BB to read txt files on? I downloaded Mobi but not sure how to convert. Any suggestions?
TIA
scpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpo View Post
I have a BlackBerry 8330 Curve. I'd like to read some of the free ebooks on Gutenberg's site. What's the best reader for a BB to read txt files on? I downloaded Mobi but not sure how to convert. Any suggestions?
TIA
Welcome to MobileRead, scpo.

I'm pretty sure you can download our books here to your blackberry.

BlackBerry owners out there? A little help?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, scpo.

I'm pretty sure you can download our books here to your blackberry.

BlackBerry owners out there? A little help?
No prob. There is a fully featured mobipocket reader available for the Blackberry.Check www.mobipocket.com.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, MobiPocket is definitely you best answer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I downloaded Mobi but not sure how to convert.
The Windows MobiPocket Reader will "import" several formats and "export" MOBI to its standard ebook directory (by default this is My Documents\My eBooks). It can also automatically transfer the ebooks to your BB via USB.

Another option is Calibre (see its forum here), which supports more ebook types and can export MOBI. It runs on any kind of Desktop PC. You would then have to manually copy the MOBI to your BB, or perhaps use Calibre's save to disk option (across USB), or use Calibre's web server option to get to them via the web.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Windows MobiPocket Reader will "import" several formats and "export" MOBI to its standard ebook directory (by default this is My Documents\My eBooks). It can also automatically transfer the ebooks to your BB via USB.

Another option is Calibre (see its forum here), which supports more ebook types and can export MOBI. It runs on any kind of Desktop PC. You would then have to manually copy the MOBI to your BB, or perhaps use Calibre's save to disk option (across USB), or use Calibre's web server option to get to them via the web.
Thanks wallcraft. I thought this was obvious so I not even mentioned that of course you can convert txt files with mobi creator (free at mobipocket.com) or by importing them directly into Mobi Reader (just drag and drop) Sorry

As a little nota bene: Better convert to html first before turning to Mobi. That way files will be lots better looking.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
TIA
MoibReader auto converts a good number of formats to MOBI/PRC (formats used by mobipocket for BlackBerry) by simply importing them into the library. You can then use MobiPocket for the BlackBerry to read the text on your BlackBerry. The conversion processes is pretty transparent from the user stand point.

To get a better formatted text use MobiCreator, but it is slightly harder to use.

Last recommendation however is for you not do any initial conversion yourself. Many of the Books in PG are already on this site. If they are not, simply request it and the many contributors on this site will most likely oblige. Once you are comfortable reading eBooks you can then try creating an eBook, and possibly always return the favor to the group.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-07-2009 at 10:28 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Also, Google Books mobile is now up and running.
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38021
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
scpo
scpo began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
Thanks to everyone for their help!
scpo is offline   Reply With Quote