Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #31
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I have used various e-ink devices from Sony (and one from Kobo) for years and never had an issue with the screen taking damage from a fall...until recently. A few weeks ago I accidentally dropped my recently purchased new Sony PRS-505 (in its supplied case). It fell about 3 feet on a hard concrete surface.

When I picked it up a 1 inch rectangular area in the upper right corner of the screen was basically dead. Since then, the image display damage has extended to the entire screen with very thin lines appearing throughout the screen, rendering it unusable. There didn't appear to be any physical damage to the screen, it just wasn't properly displaying an image.

Fortunately, I had a good backup in the form of a Nookcolor. Although it doesn't have the battery life of any of my e-ink ereaders, it does meet my needs for the time being.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
When I picked it up a 1 inch rectangular area in the upper right corner of the screen was basically dead. Since then, the image display damage has extended to the entire screen with very thin lines appearing throughout the screen, rendering it unusable. There didn't appear to be any physical damage to the screen, it just wasn't properly displaying an image.
You fractured the glass substrate that's underneath the outer plastic screen, and the fracture lines spread, just as can happen when you damage a car windscreen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 AM   #33
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
People think they are very careful but they're not imo. They think having an ereader in a case guaranties you doing whatever to it. It doesn't. It's not a titanium case, it's some leather or plastic, that's light armor people!

That being said I had kindle keyboard since 2012 and kindle paperwhite 2nd gen since 2013, and I didn't break any of them. I don't even use the case on paperwhite.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
People think they are very careful but they're not imo. They think having an ereader in a case guaranties you doing whatever to it. It doesn't. It's not a titanium case, it's some leather or plastic, that's light armor people!
A leather case is a lot better at absorbing impact than a titanium case would be. Leather deforms and absorbs impact; it would be transmitted right through a rigid metal case.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quite the literalist aren't you Harry.
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Quite the literalist aren't you Harry.
Sorry, what did you mean if not literally? When you say "It's not a titanium case, it's some leather or plastic" that seems to me to clearly imply that you think that a titanium case would be better than leather (a fact which I would dispute). Can you clarify what you did mean, if not that?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #37
Geralt
Witcher

Oh Harry.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Are we having a discussion about cases here, or metaphysics? I'm talking about cases. I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #39
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A leather case is a lot better at absorbing impact than a titanium case would be. Leather deforms and absorbs impact; it would be transmitted right through a rigid metal case.
Leather would protect better in this instance as you said. But I think a titanium case would protect against the flexing that happens in backpacks that easily breaks the substrate, or protect it against something pressing against the reader.

So what we need are well-padded titanium cases maybe!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #40
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:

That being said I had kindle keyboard since 2012 and kindle paperwhite 2nd gen since 2013, and I didn't break any of them. I don't even use the case on paperwhite.
Unfortunately, sometimes accidents happen as it did in my case. With my Sony PRS-505, I thought the supplied cover would offer adequate protection during day-to-day use and it did. I think the reason the screen was damaged is that when I dropped my ereader it hit the floor on it's corner where there was little cushioning from the cover. I didn't intend to drop it, it just slipped out of my hand when I picked it up and it was damaged.

Going back to my days with PDAs, I've always sought out a good hard case for my devices. With one PDA I carried it in a thick aluminum case that probably could have survived being run over by a car. Often, I would refuse to buy a device unless there was a good protective case for it.

It seems like protective cases are becoming hard to find. In a related issue, one of the reasons I purchased an iPod Classic is that it is one of the few audio players that have protective cases available. I put mine in a case of hard clear plastic that completely protects the player while still allowing access to all of the controls and connections.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #41
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Pelican makes ereader/tablet cases that work quite well at protecting your device.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #42
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The Pelican cases would probably protect quite well against most damage (except maybe a jarring drop from a good height). But I have to weigh the convenience and size of the cover for how I use it. The Pelican cases are bulky, larger than usual, and when reading the cover doesn't fold all the way back, which makes it not an option for me. I'd rather be at a higher risk of damage with a smaller form-fitting cover than a super protection cover. But so far, in spite of taking my reader with me outdoors almost daily, I've never broken one yet.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, e-ink, fragile, kobo, screen