Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
... but then again I could watch Colin Firth read from the phone book.
About 15 years ago I quipped that my mother's ideal movie would be Harrison Ford and Sean Connery in Waiting for Gadeau at the Beach.

I thought the first Harry Potter movie did a reasonably good job, but they've gotten less adequate as the novels have grown longer and longer. Two movies for the last one is probably a good idea. Probably would be a good idea for the last three or four.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

I thought the first Harry Potter movie did a reasonably good job, but they've gotten less adequate as the novels have grown longer and longer. Two movies for the last one is probably a good idea. Probably would be a good idea for the last three or four.
I agree, particular the latest one and the one just coming out now. So far they have been able, fairly well, to just remove all the subplots, reduce the characters, and tell only the main story but in DH the whole book is driving toward the final conclusion. Very little subplot in that one. I also suspect that the fact that it will make twice as much money with two movies entered into the equation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I also suspect that the fact that it will make twice as much money with two movies entered into the equation.
I'd say there's an outside chance that it crossed their minds at some point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The average length of a novel has changed drastically over the past 50 years. What was once a popular novel at 200 pages, is now closer to 700. That's a lot of material to fit into a movie. On the other hand, a lot of that novel's material amounts to "filler," or at least to a great deal of background material designed to round out the novel's characters, and their world.

It's always been my opinion that a good director and good actors can communicate much of that background with the right setting, scene, expression, and turn of a phrase. If they do it right, a lot of material can be condensed down to a feature-length movie without leaving the feeling that a lot was left out.

The problem is, most movies are churned out so fast that few of them take the time to do this properly.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote