Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #241
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
Now I guess my answer would be 'I wouldn't go back to a non-lit ereader for my primary home-use ereader' since I am very prone to reading in the dark at home. Non-lit is fine to take out and about, since I can't think of any situation where I would normally be waiting without enough light to read.
An for me it's the exact opposite! At home I have good lighting and prefer to use my non-glow Nook with its slightly more saturated text to my Nook Glow.
I do use the Glow when in my caravan where lighting isn't as good though. And love it for that use!

Last edited by Asawi; 07-24-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #242
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's the Kobo Mini, too. Currently available on sale in the UK, at least.
Has it gone back on sale again? Last week it seemed to have gone back to its original price.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #243
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still love my mini, it's the sturdiest device I've come across so far. Yes, it's starting to peel a bit, and yes, a pearl screen would be nice, but at least I can make subfolders on it (so far, I've not come across one "collection"-type reader that supports sub collections...) and I feel I can put it my bag with impunity

Is that a pearl screen? I thought it was a standard e-ink screen (the ebook comparison wiki page also doesn't mention pearl)
I think so. I have a mini and a nook simple touch. The mini's screen seems to be comparable to the nook's which is a pearl screen.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #244
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No, the Kobo Mini has a Vizplex screen. I believe the Sony 350 is the only one with a Pearl screen.

There are such huge differences though.....comparing the Vizplex Pocket Pro next to the Vizplex Kobo Mini, the screens are astonishingly different. The Kobo is whiter and the text is darker. (Plus so much more customizable).

Last edited by booklover6; 07-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #245
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No, the Kobo Mini has a Vizplex screen. I believe the Sony 350 is the only one with a Pearl screen.

There are such huge differences though.....comparing the Vizplex Pocket Pro next to the Vizplex Kobo Mini, the screens are astonishingly different. The Kobo is whiter and the text is darker. (Plus so much more customizable).
I think that all eink screens are Vizplex, and that Pearl is just a type of Vizplex (the second generation of Vizplex), at least, that is how I understand it. There is more written on it in this discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98819
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #246
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think that all eink screens are Vizplex, and that Pearl is just a type of Vizplex (the second generation of Vizplex), at least, that is how I understand it.
That is correct, but Pearl screens have 50% better contrast than the original Vizplex screens. That's not a subjective judgement, but an objective measurement from a photometer. The screen background is pretty much the same on the two types of screen, but Pearl has much "blacker blacks" than Vizplex does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #247
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
That is correct, but Pearl screens have 50% better contrast than the original Vizplex screens. That's not a subjective judgement, but an objective measurement from a photometer. The screen background is pretty much the same on the two types of screen, but Pearl has much "blacker blacks" than Vizplex does.
Thanks for the explanation! I thought that the screen background on the Pearl screens was whiter as well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #248
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Thanks for the explanation! I thought that the screen background on the Pearl screens was whiter as well.
Comparing my Kindle 3 (VizPlex) and Kindle Touch (Pearl) side by side, the screen background is absolutely identical, but the Touch has "black" text compared to the K3's "dark grey". It's very noticeable.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #249
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Comparing my Kindle 3 (VizPlex) and Kindle Touch (Pearl) side by side, the screen background is absolutely identical, but the Touch has "black" text compared to the K3's "dark grey". It's very noticeable.
The Kindle 3 has a pearl screen.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #250
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
The Kindle 3 has a pearl screen.
Does it? Must have been some other reader I did the comparison with, in that case. I posted a photograph at the time - it was a striking difference. So many readers, it's difficult to keep track of what's got what.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #251
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Does it? Must have been some other reader I did the comparison with, in that case. I posted a photograph at the time - it was a striking difference. So many readers, it's difficult to keep track of what's got what.
Yes. If you go to the Kindle Keyboard board page at Amazon.Co.Uk, under "E Ink 101," it says this

Quote:
Latest Generation E Ink
Kindle Keyboard 3G uses E Ink Pearl – the latest generation of E Ink technology available – to deliver clear, crisp text you can read without eye strain.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel...indle+keyboard

Afaik, the original Kindle, the Kindle 2, and the original Kindle DX are the only amazon devices that use vizplex.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #252
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i have a kobo touch and do not see the need for a front lit device, if i want to read in bed i have an LED strip on my bedstead or if i am anywhere else i use a lamp...
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #253
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i have a kobo touch and do not see the need for a front lit device, if i want to read in bed i have an LED strip on my bedstead or if i am anywhere else i use a lamp...
Need, no. Nice, yes. I have an Aura and do use the backlight regularly. That said, I wouldn't pay a premium just for a backlight. It's kinda weird how the price difference to consumers is more than a desklamp, while the added hardware is a few cents of LEDs and a waveguide.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #254
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The front light is useful in so many situations. Houses here tend to be dark so that you can (at least try) to keep the summer heat out. You can sit in the sun during the other seasons but not now. The front lights give you optimal and even illumination everywhere you go and over the whole page. No need to move lamps or adjust your reading position. If that isn't worth a few bucks then I don't know what is.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-26-2013 at 09:41 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #255
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
To the original question: yes, I certainly would. I have never had issues reading my non-lit e-ink screens under the typical conditions where I would read a paper book. If I want to read on a lighted screen, I'll use my backlit tablet.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote