Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

So how is the NYT on the Kindle?

I'm REALLY interested in subscribing to the NYT, IF it really does the original paper justice. Anyone got any feedback/pictures of it? Is there a table of contents each day you can navigate to, or is it haphazard reading?

All info appreciated. (I wish my Kindle would ship. Nov. 29 ship date can't come soon enough!)

Last edited by WilliamG; 11-27-2007 at 12:39 AM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
It's got a decent multi-page table of contents with briefs of the main articles. At the beginning of each article there are links to skip to the next article, jump to a sections list, or back to the articles list (TOC). There is usually (but not always) a main picture for each major article, but unlike the Sony reader, you can't zoom/blow it up. The articles are pretty complete and last Sunday's paper included EVERYTHING, took me like 2 hours to read it (cause I was bored, ok). So what you miss out are on most pictures, all ads, etc. Sometimes it is weird reading an article that says "as shown on left of picture...", but overall it is a pretty good NYT experience, considering. Because of the limited pictures though, I find it better than the Washington Post, which includes NO pictures.

BTW, I dunno when it downloads, but it is already there when I get up at 5 am.

Now I also noticed, that they are also providing a Blog of the NYT RSS feed for mid-day updates for $1.99. I added that to check it out. What is surprising is that the NYT Blog is BETTER. It always has a picture per article (bigger one too), and there are real HTML hyper links within the article. It just covers major articles, but I can honestly see that at $1.99 this blog feature might start to eat into NYT sales.

Improvements that I would like to see on the NYT are:

1. A custom formatted "Front Page" image so I can get a 'glance' of what the day's paper looks like.
2. Larger/clearer pictures.
3. More pictures. If it is in the paper, I want it on my Kindle.
4. Hyperlinks (ok the Blog is spoiling me).
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thanks for the reply. I will have to trial it to see! Sounds good, though!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I like the fact it doesn't get my fingers dirty too.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote