Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I wonder why all these reviews seem to overlook the fact that current Android Market requirements do not allow the Nook Color (or any other affordable Android tablet) access to the Android Market. You need mobile phone specs like GPS and a camera to be allowed access. So B&N's own apps store is the only solution for the moment.

And although most reviews mention lack of flash support, I believe none of them mentions the fact that B&N has already promised an update to Andriod 2.2 early next year, including Flash support.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
One review said that they played Angry Birds on the device. How did they do that? Wouldn't that be an app from the app store?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
There is one library view for all books, see this post on the Nook Color board:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...717595#U717595
very helpful!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I think Engadget unfairly dinged the NC for the lack of an app store, and running 2.1. Really, it probably should have gotten an 8, but this is Engadget we're talking about.
Engadget really should change its name to Applegadget.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this a bit disappointing: NC is using a proprietary USB port. That's definitely a step backward.

Quote:
Make sure you bring your charger wherever you go. Although the Nook Color looks like it has a standard micro USB port, it will only charge with the Nook AC adapter. I tried both 5V and 10V adapters, with no luck. Nor can you charge the device by connecting it to a PC. Turns out the cable that comes with the Nook Color has a few extra pins in it, to enable faster charging. The custom connector supports 2000mAh charging, whereas most mobile electronics use 500mAh chargers. This is limiting, since it significantly reduces your charging options, but it isn't much different than the proprietary charger that's required with the iPad. - PCMag Review
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I really like the Nook Color. I considered it before I bought my PRS-350, but my first priority was something small enough to take with me when commuting on the bus and subway and the Sony Pocket is perfect. But if I were in the market right now for a second eReader just for home, the Nook Color would be my first choice.

I have no problems reading from LCD displays and the NC is just the right size. For me, the android market and web browsing are also secondary considerations to reading. I predict B&N has a hit on their hands, and it will be a breakthrough in terms of introducing color eReaders to a broader market.

The reviews seem generally very good. Good job by B&N.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I found this a bit disappointing: NC is using a proprietary USB port. That's definitely a step backward.
The USB port is compatible for data. You can use any USB cable for data transfer. You can also use your PC for charging (with a regular USB cable), but this will be a lot slower, and you cannot use the device while charging.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...710512#U710512

The proprietary USB cable is only needed when using the Nook Color Charger for fast charging.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It was probably a difficult device to review since it's a relatively new category. There isn't much to compare it with.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #24
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Other good reviews:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...ok-reader/4110

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1

Seems very solid. I can't wait to get mine.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The USB port is compatible for data. You can use any USB cable for data transfer. You can also use your PC for charging (with a regular USB cable), but this will be a lot slower, and you cannot use the device while charging.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...710512#U710512

The proprietary USB cable is only needed when using the Nook Color Charger for fast charging.
Does this mean that PCMag was lying?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Does this mean that PCMag was lying?
According to Nook hardware support, it can charge through standard USB, although more far more slowly than the normal power adapter. Also, the drain of using it when plugged in with USB will cause it to discharge faster than the USB can charge it.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
According to Nook hardware support, it can charge through standard USB, although more far more slowly than the normal power adapter. Also, the drain of using it when plugged in with USB will cause it to discharge faster than the USB can charge it.
If that's the case, then the reviewers at PCMag don't know what they're doing. In which case, that makes their entire review suspect.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #28
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
If that's the case, then the reviewers at PCMag don't know what they're doing. In which case, that makes their entire review suspect.
I don't know if I would go that far, but I would say that they only had the device for a few hours and likely didn't do as detailed a review as they could have. In the rush to match or beat their competition it is quite common on the web. It would be interesting to know why they made that deduction. I would say the parts of the review that give performance and visual reaction are likely to be more accurate. I was saying in another forum that there are many users here far more literate with reading devices than any reviewer from a magazine. I wouldn't use PCMagazine or CNET as the canon for reading devices, that is just my opinion though.

Last edited by ColdSun; 11-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Matt Miller from Zdnet really liked huh? I thought it was interesting to include his daughter in the review and her reaction to the Children's book.

Also the Star Wars looked really good.

Last edited by boswd; 11-16-2010 at 10:46 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Looks like the best bang/buck tablet around.

Will be even better once it gets rooted and the XDA folks start getting their hands on it.

Very cool. Want. Not to read books (I'll stick to e-ink for that), but as a tablet with potential.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote