Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I used to buy a lot of bookclub books, and many books (classics) that I would have purchased that way, I got free for my reader. On the other hand, like others have mentioned, I'm buying and reading books I probably wouldn't have before. So, overall I think its a wash.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't think I saved any money.

For me, it was a space issue where I had stopped buying books because I didn't have any place to keep them. Once I bought my ebook reader, I started buying books again.

I've definitely gone in the other direction.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I don't think I saved any money.

For me, it was a space issue where I had stopped buying books because I didn't have any place to keep them. Once I bought my ebook reader, I started buying books again.

I've definitely gone in the other direction.
Me too, I'm still paying pretty much the same amount on the ebooks I buy as I did on the pbooks I used to buy. Actually, I buy more books now.

Unless you count the gas I save not driving to the book store all the time
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I saved enough at Fictionwise over two years that my Bookeen Gen3 paid for itself. Then the agency restrictions came in and the savings disappeared, but with the recent UK price war since Amazon arrived things are looking good again.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I counted up just the books I have ready to move onto my Reader, the free classics I have downloaded, the freebies from various ebook sites, etc. Most of my books were free or less than $10.
Estimating and average of $5 a book (low average, just to be on the conservative side) I have saved about $450 in the past year. The Reader definitely paid for itself, and any accessories I could want.
Hmmm... now that I know I've save $450, what can I spend that money on?
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Probably saved 150$ not buying books from the second hand store.
Even at a quarter a piece they add up, and the good ones are 50 Cents.
Most likely would have spent another 30$ or so from the Science Fiction book club.

I figure I've paid for my first Jetbook, and I'm working on the second one.
Plus I'm reading better stuff than I can usually find 2nd hand, series, etc.

Of course I'm down more than that in actual dollars spent on e-readers.
But I've paid to put 4 other e-readers in family members hands.

Consider that both my Dad and my Father in law were having trouble finding large size books to read. What I've lost in $$ I've gained in other ways.

What is it worth to have a father around at 86 who is still able to read?
Not to mention giving him something to do so Mom gets some piece and quiet.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I used to spend about $200 a year on books at Borders, and get everything else from the library. Now I get most things from the library (holds are wonderful) and still spend about $200 a year on books through Amazon.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
It's hard to say - like many here, I probably would have continued my book purchase habits (which were, in my case, very small over the years). I find ebooks to fall in a similar category to digital music and movies - more convenient, so I find myself consuming them more.

From a straight financial standpoint, I haven't saved a dime. However, what price do you put on an increase in book reading? It's more of a question of "was the purchase of an ebook WORTH it", of which the answer is a definitive YES.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote