Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #31
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Three MB is a large epub, I have made anthologies of 3 or 4 novels that were smaller. PM sent.

From an old post of tshering;
there are several explanations at this forum. I cannot find them myself right now. Anyway,
in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");Example for FW 2.5.0:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false")

I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".
I can only confirm that the values work for FW 1.9.12. I did not try it with more recent firmwares. If the reader does not accept your values, you can try replacing them by others (maybe the email address must look like an email address, e.g. name@xmail.com, or something like that).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tshering

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Luck;
Ken
Thank you for the last pointer. I successfully disabled the tracking - and also disabled the tracking in google search - I didn't know I could choose to turn it off.

I will need to figure out how SQLite Database Browser works before trying the values tshering/you provided.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #32
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

New photos of the frontlight-induced screen discoloration

Here are two new photos of the screen with the yellow tint I talked about. The first at 100% brightness; the second 30%

I got a response from Kobo this evening. (Do they monitor this forum?) I was told that they couldn't see the problem in the photos I sent them - btw the two older photos are in this forum too. I am going to send these new ones soon and see what they have to say.

The camera doesn't catch the yellowing as my eyes do but you can still clearly see the discoloration on the top by comparing the two bars, provided your monitor is relatively bright, your environment is dim, and the portions of the screen for comparative observation are scrolled to the same location of the monitor (in not a professional monitor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	114800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	114801  

Last edited by jshzh; 11-07-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #33
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
@jshzh, my first Aura HD had this yellowish part. I exchanged it (no questions asked during the first 15 days) and the second one has a very even screen.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... Sorry, maybe my eyes are getting old but I don't see anything in your pictures. The text "pointed out previously" looks different, was it highlighted?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #35
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
@jshzh, my first Aura HD had this yellowish part. I exchanged it (no questions asked during the first 15 days) and the second one has a very even screen.
Thanks, Samhy. I am glad you detected the same discoloration displayed in my photos. Kobo told me it may need repair or exchange this morning and asked for personal and product information.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Hmm... Sorry, maybe my eyes are getting old but I don't see anything in your pictures. The text "pointed out previously" looks different, was it highlighted?

Luck;
Ken
No, Ken, that is a link to another online article. Hope you at least noticed that the top part was darker at least if not yellowish on your monitor. The Aura photos taken by another user in this forum show the yellow color (kind of bright yellow on my monitor though) better than my camera. On my HD it actually looks like a real old book - one edge of the page is darker/yellower after years of exposure to the sun.

Last edited by jshzh; 11-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
jshzh
Addict

Kobo Customer Care will send me a new HD and a pre-paid mailing bag for returning the defective one. If not satisfied, I can contact them again within 10 days.

I would say they do stand by their e-book readers. A good sign.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #38
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Kobo Customer Care will send me a new HD and a pre-paid mailing bag for returning the defective one. If not satisfied, I can contact them again within 10 days.

I would say they do stand by their e-book readers. A good sign.
Well that sounds like a huge improvement for Kobo's Customer Service, if it pans out we should be sure and spread the word. Let us know how it goes, I sure hope the replacement is ok and things go smoothly.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Hi, Ken,
1) It is not a Kepub file made for Kobo. It also opens very fast on my old Pocketbook 602. Can I send it to your email if you are interested in trying it.
Thank you.
I tried your 3MB "slow" epub and it did take a little longer than others of around that size, but still it was only about 40 seconds, well under a minute for it in Koreader at 1747 pages. I noticed that it is full of hyperlinks, that will sometimes slow the processing a little. Large color pictures can drastically slow loading of epubs in most readers, also. I notice that it has a 20 page TOC that works in Koreader. All told, I think it loaded pretty fast. I admit that it seemed like a long time, when you are used to almost instant loading.

It could appear faster with the Kobo software as a good deal of processing for chapters and links takes place when it is loaded onto the device and included in its database.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #40
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
I tried your 3MB "slow" epub and it did take a little longer than others of around that size, but still it was only about 40 seconds, well under a minute for it in Koreader at 1747 pages. I noticed that it is full of hyperlinks, that will sometimes slow the processing a little. Large color pictures can drastically slow loading of epubs in most readers, also. I notice that it has a 20 page TOC that works in Koreader. All told, I think it loaded pretty fast. I admit that it seemed like a long time, when you are used to almost instant loading.

It could appear faster with the Kobo software as a good deal of processing for chapters and links takes place when it is loaded onto the device and included in its database.

Luck;
Ken
Thank you very much, Ken. I tried to open it again just then. Yes, it took about 40 seconds this time. I think the reason it took longer when I first tried it is that I probably "clicked" it a few times (maybe even tapped many places and tried to turn the device off because I didn't see any response) so the cpu stuck there. I just realized that a title doesn't turn black (being highlighted) when I tap on it in FileManager so it looks like the screen is not responsive while in fact an order is being processed. Inside a book in the Koreader icons will be highlighted to indicate I hit the right ones. A minor thing but perhaps the developers could add one line in the program to reduce the potential confusion when a large file is being processed.

Last edited by jshzh; 11-07-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
ACGT
ACGT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
ACGT: I don't trust too much this kind of store. However, it won't hurt to have a look.

I don't either. I took the risk as I couldn't justify paying the full price for a new toy while 1) my old reader still fully functional after about 3 years except that the mechanic button is a little less responsive now 2) these devices have built-in obsolescence 3) I predict the regular on-sale price won't go (much) lower than 120$ within 6 months. I made a mistake in my last response. The Touch was 50% off after TWO years of release not ONE. I wouldn't buy a device after more than one year of release no matter how good the price is.
I went to that TechSource store on 1012 Gerrard, Toronto and bought a black Aura HD for $120. The box looks sealed, I opened the device and saw that the screen seems perfectly operational. The store owner said he is OK to honor the warranty exchange but not "too long, like 3 months" after purchase. The receipt looks vague (item listed as eBook Reader, Manufacturer warranty). He said that it's the serial number on the box sticker and in the device which server as manufacturer warranty, not the store receipt. I have no idea what is the impact but I hope I will not have to deal with warranty.

Setup went OK, the device selt updates twice, currently version 2.10.0 2013-10-21.

The screen is really good. Now I understand why people prefer eInk for reading. I loaded some ePub and PDF for testing. They all works OK.
Although the PDF reading is rather inconvenient, page turn too slow, no bookmarks (fast access via the Table of contents), the zoom and page scroll is sluggish. Overall, I still prefer to read a PDF on the 4.7" screen of my Android phone. I will try to load Koreader on the Aura HD to see if this could improve the PDF reading.
ACGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Ken Maltby
Wizard

See my post "Adding alternative readers to Kobo devices"https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456 it includes the links to the current builds.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #43
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGT View Post
I went to that TechSource store on 1012 Gerrard, Toronto and bought a black Aura HD for $120. The box looks sealed, I opened the device and saw that the screen seems perfectly operational. The store owner said he is OK to honor the warranty exchange but not "too long, like 3 months" after purchase. The receipt looks vague (item listed as eBook Reader, Manufacturer warranty). He said that it's the serial number on the box sticker and in the device which server as manufacturer warranty, not the store receipt. I have no idea what is the impact but I hope I will not have to deal with warranty.

Setup went OK, the device selt updates twice, currently version 2.10.0 2013-10-21.

The screen is really good. Now I understand why people prefer eInk for reading. I loaded some ePub and PDF for testing. They all works OK.
Although the PDF reading is rather inconvenient, page turn too slow, no bookmarks (fast access via the Table of contents), the zoom and page scroll is sluggish. Overall, I still prefer to read a PDF on the 4.7" screen of my Android phone. I will try to load Koreader on the Aura HD to see if this could improve the PDF reading.
I think you need Koreader to have the best pdf experience on Kobo. Take advantage of the great work the developers have done to improve the performance of Kobo:-) Yes, they did it for free!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
jshzh
Addict

Replacement sent back

Just to report back the discoloration issue of Aura HD.

1) The replacement screen still has the discoloration issue - with less yellow (red actually in comparison) on the top but more blue on the bottom. I suppose the recent screen panels used for the HD have been adjusted to a colder color temperature but the color shifting from bottom to top is still there - if the screen on the replacement is from a later batch. It may be unavoidable because there is no light on the top of the screen. The light simply dims after travelling.

2)There is a noticeable bright dead pixel at the bottom left corner of the screen of the replacement in addition other less visible ones. My original purchase also has dead pixels but less noticeable - in fact I didn't know they existed until I saw the more noticeable one on the replacement and started to look for them on the original one.

The replacement was sent back on the same day. I will live with the issue, which was created either by my high expectation or two times of bad luck. In any case, I'd rather focus on reading than dealing with another replacement.

The two photos below are to show that A) the discoloration does exit in both models. B) the replacement simply has a colder color temperature: compare the bottoms of the screens - areas close to "kobo.com/help". In both photos the left is my original purchase, the right is the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	114884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	114885  

Last edited by jshzh; 11-09-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #45
andrew6800
andrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notesandrew6800 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Q2. In Canada, would Futureshop 2Y extended warranty covers the screen issue? Let's says, the screen breaks after 3 months and there is no physical abuse. Or would it be better to buy it from Chapters?
I wonder about this too. I figured the FS warranty ($40, i.e. $20/yr) must cover stuff not covered by the manufacturer, especially since the 2yr starts on purchase, right?

As far as I can tell, it only covers failure due to manufacture defects, or a power spike.

Quote:
General Exclusions: The following are not covered in respect of the Services (Part 2) and Benefits (Part 3) provided by this Plan:

replacement necessitated by any causes other than normal usage and operation of the product in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, including, but not limited to, theft, exposure to weather, moisture and other environmental conditions, negligence, accidental or intentional physical damage, misuse, abuse, unauthorized repairs, improper installation, transportation damage (except damage incurred by authorized shipment of product(s) to and from an authorized service), improper equipment modifications, vandalism, spilled liquids, burned phosphor (including image ghosting), pixel burnout not in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, computer viruses, software generated problems or acts of nature or any other peril originating from outside of the product;
so for the first year, coverage is identical to manufacturer warranty (except power spike) and in fact at one point they say they'll direct you to the manufacturer [then later say you can use them instead], so really it's $40 for that 2nd year? I don't normally invest in "Protection Plans" but these seems particularly chintzy. Maybe I've just never read them before.

Is there anything in Canada analogous to SquareTrade extended warranties? For $50/2yr or $66/3yr, they claim to cover everything including drops, stepping on, spills, etc. I assume their coverage starts on day of purchase too, but at least they're giving you something extra. (Originally I typed $30/2yr or $45/3yr but that was for $100-$149.99 which wouldn't cover the Aura HD).

Costco has ExcellencePlus but only on goods purchased at Costco. Asurion (which does the Costco product) shows promise (office in NB) but everything is geared to covering mobile phones. If there's no decent vendor of extended warranties that include accidental damage (as EP does, for Costco-purchased notebooks and tablets), I'd almost be tempted to buy in the US, pay less tax, sign up for ST, and take the hit on inconvenience.

Thanks!
=aw
andrew6800 is offline   Reply With Quote