Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I rarely buy "new" devices, because right now I just don't have the budget for it. Nearly all of my "new" electronics I buy are actually used. That doesn't mean I don't experience new gadget envy, it just means that I never get to act on it. Which I suppose is a good thing, since I indulge my electronic addiction way too much already. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had the money to buy the new ones as well.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've just bought a largely superfluous second tablet. I also have three ereaders. I live alone.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You now have one for the bedroom and one for the living room - what's wrong with that?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Sigh. Another thread to subscribe to. I just got an Aura HD when it was released and now I have an Aura pre-ordered. I got a Galaxy Note about a year and 4 months ago and now I'm greedily eyeing the Nexus 5. I've got a PS4 ordered even though I have no time to play my PS3 and I'm lusting over a new ipad or ipad mini retina.
Okay, you really have a problem, I'm doing an intervention here. Buy that new Ipad and send it to me, that should break your bad bad bad habit

Mini would be preferred but whatever you like the best.

I finally succumbed to a clean out awhile back and took a bag or two of older electronics to Salvation Army. Withdrawal has been hard but tolerable.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It isn’t so much the new gadgets that tempt me as it is the promise to solve some niggling, persistent problem--the promise of a better way to get some needed work done. The trouble is, that even with judicial care I still find new eReaders (and computers, music players, etc.) that deliver on the promises.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I love to buy new things.
My big problem has always been deciding what is best for the future, and I hate being fooled and then disappointed. I enjoy planning and waiting for the right opportunity.

I have a rule of never buying the FIRST. Always wait until the new product problems are over.

Anyway, I expect to buy in the next 3 months, the next (3rd generation) Chromebook. Haswell, great screen etc. Everything is present but maybe the power of the CPU.

A new (3rd generation) Republic Wireless phone. Probably the Moto-X.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've just bought a largely superfluous second tablet. I also have three ereaders. I live alone.
Two tablets? I have two for my use. One (Nook HD) is my reading tablet, and has an anti glare screen protector, which is great for reading, but does dull the color and brightness. So I have a (rooted via n2a) Kindle Fire HD for things that I want a bright, clear screen with full color. So there are definitely justifications to have more than one
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I haven't been through as many readers as many people here. I went through the Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Kindle Paperwhite 1, and now the Kindle Paperwhite 2 within a fairly short time. 5 readers in less than 3 years? I guess that's not completely terrible. I gave the NST as a gift, sold the NSTWGL, and am giving the PW1 to my sister for Christmas. So I don't have extra devices everywhere.

I still own the NC and PW2, but only the PW2 is used for reading. The NC sits in a drawer most of the time, but I use it for Netflix in bed sometimes.

I'd like to say I'm not addicted. But honestly, if next September rolls around and Amazon announces a new e-ink device, I'm 95% going to be pre-ordering again. Reading is such a big pastime for me, I justify the expense to myself

For my other devices, I usually wait until I feel like I need a new one. My iPhone 5S replaced a barely-functioning iPhone 3GS. My new Macbook Pro Retina replaced a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook for class use. Basically, when they start frustrating the sanity out of me, I replace!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Cool I would like Kobo Aura HD, then Aura, then PW2, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I have the urge, but then I look and see how my current devices currently work for me and see how a new device wouldn't be beneficial.
This, and also that, in Brazil, not everything is available and, if so, the price is prohibitive.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I had this problem up to 2008. Then I got a new computer, and apart from some upgrades like a new graphics card and an extra hard disk, I'm still using the same system now. It still does what I want it to do.

The time to upgrade will probably come when Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera (two games) are released end 2014, or somewhere 2015. I don't expect this computer from 2008 (having a graphics card from 2011) to run those games satisfactorily.

Even then, I'll probably wait a year until those games get discounted, the bugs get patched out, and hardware gets even faster for the same price.

Since around 2008 I've lost my "I want that!"-drive with regard to technology and gatdgets. My general reaction to new stuff such as e-readers, phones, computers, and others is: "Meeh."

If it does not improve on my current device in some sort of extremely serious way, I don't need or even want it. The front-light of the Kindle Paperwhite was such a serious improvement. It made me go "Want! Must have! NOW!", despite me having a Touch. The Kobo Aura HD made me consider it because of screen size, but its weird shape and screen space wasting firmware put me off.

The Kindle Paperwhite 2 is just another "Meeh" device. Yes, it improves on the KPW1, but not nearly enough to make me want it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Damn you all! I just bought a Paperwhite 2 after this discussion.

I actually feel really guilty now.

I've been wanting another e-ink reader for a long time now. My iPad Mini is really heavy.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I actually feel really guilty now.
That's buyer's remorse. It can be cured by giving the KPW2 to me.

It will make you feel real warm and fuzzy too, because you did a good deed
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Happily i know better. I have only owned one tablet since they became popular and it was a refurb i bought early this year. I have two ereaders, a prs 350 refurb and a barely used 650 i bought for $35. I do enjoy keeping abreast of the latest tech though. Especially computers. I upgraded after 6 years a year ago. Its a desktop, i still prefer those over laptops for several reasons.

I just do not see the need to own several devices that do the same thing. I barely have the time or energy in the day to use the few i have.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Oh, yes. I was at Costco the other day salivating over the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and my daughter threw a fit (how come you get--cause I bring in the money). But I have an 8.9 HDX on order, and my first generation Samsung Galaxy Tab is working terrific, since they updated the software! (I was having issues, and found the software update button, and it is like a new device. Never thought they would update something that old).
The only thing I don't jones are phones. I rarely make a call outside work, and I always have my PW2 or SGT or KFHDX with me, so who cares?)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post

I'd like to say I'm not addicted. But honestly, if next September rolls around and Amazon announces a new e-ink device, I'm 95% going to be pre-ordering again. Reading is such a big pastime for me, I justify the expense to myself

For my other devices, I usually wait until I feel like I need a new one.

+1. I give my old ones to friends which brings the guilt down a notch.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote