Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
if so many have iphones buy new iphones
then must be many old iphones
somewhere cheap

where?
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I think that there there are almost no free apps in the App Store. People that have had an Apple phone for a 2-year contract (or more) probably have quite a bit invested in the ecosystem...makes it hard to switch.
This is pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
http://www.redmondpie.com/a-detailed...h-infographic/

You can see the bigger version of it here.
Thanks. First thing that I've noticed, this is an US-only survey.
Quote:
600 adult Americans were surveyed for the infographic. This may seem like too small a number considering the size of the smartphone market, but it is enough to get an idea of where things are going.
The interesting bit has to do with the iPhone model distribution: 2.9% iPhone, 6.6% iPhone 3G, 16.2% iPhone 3GS, 50.7% iPhone 4 and 23.5% iPhone 4S. It looks like the 4S wasn't as successful the 4.

Things get strange with the next model question. According to the graphs everybody that owns an android or an iphone will buy a new phone within the next 6 months. That just doesn't seem likely. None of them are happy with what they have? None of them have a contract that expires 7 months from now? And all of the iphone owners who are going to choose another iphone are going to upgrade to the 5?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Where do old iphones go?

I for one have never sold my old iPhones. I have the first Edge iPhone, a 3GS and the iphone 4 which I currently use. I use my older phones for remotes. One for my Sonos system and the other for my TV. My contract with ATT is over and I'm deciding who my carrier for and iPhone 5 will be. I don't have the phone yet but am in no hurry and would rather wait for all the kinks to be worked out and I can just walk into a store and get what I want.

Last edited by pagansoul; 09-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
if so many have iphones buy new iphones
then must be many old iphones
somewhere cheap

where?
eBay, that is where I get mine.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
eBay, that is where I get mine.
Do you buy from individuals or small companies with a track record and some kind of guarantee? 90 day or so.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Do you buy from individuals or small companies with a track record and some kind of guarantee? 90 day or so.
I buy from individuals. I change my phone a lot because I like to try out different phones, so have bought an embarrassingly large number of smartphones. When I buy, I sell my old one.

You have to be careful. There are a lot of phone in poor condition or with a fault sold on ebay. So you must read the description carefully and also read the sellers feedback.

In the UK unlocked iPhones are quite common, but it is worth checking that they are "factory unlocked" rather than jailbroken.

Occasionally I have received a phone that does not match the description so have returned it. Once or twice I have successfully used the eBay dispute service, but in the vast majority cases I am happy with what I receive.

It is worth remembering that you tend to get what you pay for. So if it looks very cheap, it is probability for a reason
Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I buy from individuals. I change my phone a lot because I like to try out different phones, so have bought an embarrassingly large number of smartphones. When I buy, I sell my old one.

You have to be careful. There are a lot of phone in poor condition or with a fault sold on ebay. So you must read the description carefully and also read the sellers feedback.

In the UK unlocked iPhones are quite common, but it is worth checking that they are "factory unlocked" rather than jailbroken.

Occasionally I have received a phone that does not match the description so have returned it. Once or twice I have successfully used the eBay dispute service, but in the vast majority cases I am happy with what I receive.

It is worth remembering that you tend to get what you pay for. So if it looks very cheap, it is probability for a reason
I have seen that myself. You can start out at $5.00 and you get phones with detailed descriptions and of course at $5.00 there are nicks, and scratches galore, but they are guaranteed to work, and you have the right to return in a couple of weeks or a month. And these are from fairly big sellers that eBay rates as good risks over repeated dealings.

Sounds amazing. Haven't jumped in the water yet, but there are a few devices I might like to have as conveniences and just to try.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepeach View Post
Read an interesting findings today to know what are smartphone users planning to get next.

"78% of current iPhone owners plan to buy a new iPhone in the next 6 months.Only 9% of current iPhone owners are considering a switch to Android" What do you think?

It really only shows brand loyalty. In the big picture the iPhone hasn't even put a dent in Android's dominance of the smartphone market. However, the iPhone 5 may have provided Apple with a short term boost.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/...ket/56876294/1

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
It really only shows brand loyalty. In the big picture the iPhone hasn't even put a dent in Android's dominance of the smartphone market. However, the iPhone 5 may have provided Apple with a short term boost.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/...ket/56876294/1
It does show loyalty and more than that, I think, a "addiction."

Just like those stupid shoes, kids kill for, and people collect.

I have actually been thinking of buying used iPhone on eBay for $5 or $10 just to use for WiFi, as a camera and some data, maybe even a book. It is certainly small enough to be tucked into a bag or shirt pocket somewhere and not cause a size or weight problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #25
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It does show loyalty and more than that, I think, a "addiction."

Just like those stupid shoes, kids kill for, and people collect.

I have actually been thinking of buying used iPhone on eBay for $5 or $10 just to use for WiFi, as a camera and some data, maybe even a book. It is certainly small enough to be tucked into a bag or shirt pocket somewhere and not cause a size or weight problem.

Have you thought of a used Apple Touch, which is essentially an iPhone without the phone? They may be slightly cheaper?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Have you thought of a used Apple Touch, which is essentially an iPhone without the phone? They may be slightly cheaper?
They don't seem to be. You can get the iPhones, shipping and all for less than $20 total with a return guarantee of 2 to 4 weeks from a "trusted seller" and you can get an eBay warranty, whatever that is.
I know frahse (above) away from this site and we have discussed the matter. I even found a chart showing the iPhone 4s and 4, printed it out, and then added the specs of the iPod Touch.
The major difference would come with the 4S with an auto focus 8Meg camera. If it had optical focus I would have already jumped.

The phones have an IPS screen though all including the Touch are retina. The phones are 0.1 inch thicker.

Anyway, the reason neither of us has jumped in is because we are suspicious.
Sounds too good.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
You dive in first big guy.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote