Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
pmorris
pmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Kindle Keyboard (K3) with update 3.4 and KF8 files

I have converted several files from HTML to .mobi (new) format and loaded them to my K3. None will open. In each case I get an error message telling me that if I downloaded the file from Amazon, delete this file and download again. But these are files I have created, so...

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Peter
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
isartbar
isartbar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had the same problem. It has something to do with the filename extension. Export your new KF8 mobi file to disk, rename the *.mobi file to *.azw3 and copy it to the KK. For me, the new KF8 files then open in KK and look very nice BTW :-)

I haven't found a way in Calibre to do this automatically, but given the recency of the KK update, this is not very surprising.

Isart
isartbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's strange - Calibre uses the same driver for the K3 as for the Kindle Touch, and it sends files to the Touch with a ".azw3" extension. Forgive the question, but have you checked the "AZW3" box in the Calibre Kindle driver to tell it to send AZW3 files to the Kindle? It's not checked by default.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
isartbar

Thx Harry, the azw3 option is checked in the Kindle driver. I tried multiple things (in calibre 0.8.68):
- convert to MOBI with selecting "new" as MOBI file type
- convert to AZW3

When sending the book to the Kindle, I cannot choose the azw3 format, only the mobi format (which has extension .mobi). I assumed the Kindle driver was not yet updated to accept azw3 format files as this capability exists only since yesterday on KK (despite the very fast update cycle of Calibre :-)

If you have other ideas about options I missed or how to do this automatically, I would appreciate it.

Isart
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
isartbar

Ok solved it. I had the azw3 option checked in the "Kindle device interface" not in the Kindle 2/3/4/ Touch device interface".
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by isartbar View Post
Ok solved it. I had the azw3 option checked in the "Kindle device interface" not in the Kindle 2/3/4/ Touch device interface".
Yes, that's where it needs to be checked .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote