Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
NiaTrue
Edge User

Blackberry Tablet Coming Soon to a Retailer Near You

Not quite, but crackberry fans may be able to get more details on the cracktablet as soon as next week.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Depending on the price, I'd be interested if the tethering is a no-cost add-on.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

Me, too. I can't stomach paying another phone company another data fee.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Batman Jr.
Edge User

Do you have a BlackBerry currently? I have a Storm 1, but I'm off contract now, and need to decide whether to re-up or not. The Storm has its glitches, but there's starting to be a lot of new productivity apps I use in my research, and the tablet could make a nice companion-sync device.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Yes, I have a Tour, and the prospect of being able to tether effortlessly--worldwide--is a big draw. I've been considering switching to the HCT Evo, so I'm eager to take the Blackpad for a road test.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 09-23-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

I get a phone through work, but I'm not allowed to tether it. I don't want to have to carry a second phone to get data/internet access.
I do have an 3G express card interface that works in one of my laptops, but turning it into the on-demand internet router for other devices seems a bit daunting (looked at tethering via USB, and turning the laptop into a wifi hotspot.) But, even if it could work it would mean lugging that laptop around which is even bigger than a second phone.
The best choice so far for it's high mobility and out-of-the-box usability looks like a Mifi device, but $200+ exceeds my threshold for pain.

Last edited by kenjennings; 09-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
The best choice so far looks like the Mifi device, but $200+ exceeds my threshold for pain.
This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Mifi. It's also another thing that makes the Evo (and phones like it) attractive.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Batman Jr.
Edge User

It's Here! (Kind Of)

They just announced the official "BlackBerry PlayBook" this afternoon:

www.blackberry.com/playbook

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
They just announced the official "BlackBerry PlayBook" this afternoon:

www.blackberry.com/playbook
Hmmmmm....interesting. Single LCD screen with a 1200 x 600 display BUT a 1 GHz dual-core processor? Very impressive!

HORRIBLE name, though..."Playbook"? Prepare to get laughed at if you buy this and show it off to people.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningT1g3R View Post
HORRIBLE name, though..."Playbook"? Prepare to get laughed at if you buy this and show it off to people.
Really? Sounds a lot better to my ear than "Blackpad," which sounds like something that might have been engineered by a super-secret government agency for nefarious purposes. And maybe I'm getting old, but "Playbook"--football references aside--is a nice mashup of words, similar to "tool-toy."

Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Depending on the price, I'd be interested if the tethering is a no-cost add-on.
Per the RIM specs, Bluetooth tethering is built in.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
lisa031825
Edge User

Honestly, it looks like good competition for the iPad and businesses will like it because it's enterprise ready. It is no better for education purposes than the iPad and possibly worse because it doesn't have the huge app development community that Apple and Android benefit from.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Just saw screenshots of how big it is on Yahoo.com. 8-( You can hold it in the palm of your hand and yet it does as much as it claims but won't be released until early next year sometime? No thanks; I'll stick with the Notion Ink Adam (when it officially gets off the ground) for something more definitive.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
NiaTrue
Edge User

So the Playbook looks set to ship within the next several weeks at roughly $500 a pop for the Wifi version. But, um...Office Depot? Really?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
zed
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
So the Playbook looks set to ship within the next several weeks at roughly $500 a pop for the Wifi version. But, um...Office Depot? Really?
I'm hoping they sell more tablets at Office Depot, so I can use my worklife rewards on them.