Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Make sure you call the Kindle Custmer Service and not Amazon Customer Service. They are actually two different branches of CS. I have read about people who were told they could not return their broken Kindle by regular CS but when they called Kindle CS and the problem was fixed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

If the person says no ask to speak to a supervisor.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
im telling you guys - this is NOT a crack

its a leak

its as though the the liquid (eink) managed to seep out. if i wiggle it left and right (which ive been doing now) you can see the eink move on different parts of the screen as well
It has cracked and your picture looks exactly like other eInk screens which have cracked. One of the internal glass layers inside the eInk screen has cracked. The top layer of the eInk screen is some kind of plastic but internally it has glass. Something has hit or pushed onto the screen and it has shattered the glass where you see all the diagonal lines join together in the middle.

Some people have had manufacturing defects but they don't look like what your screen does. They had missing columns or rows and none of the diagonal patterns which are indicative of a cracked glass layer.

Last edited by Tiersten; 12-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Make sure you call the Kindle Custmer Service and not Amazon Customer Service. They are actually two different branches of CS. I have read about people who were told they could not return their broken Kindle by regular CS but when they called Kindle CS and the problem was fixed.
I agree.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
I wonder if some types of screens are more sensitive then other. Like is eInk more likely to crack then LCD?
Agree. It was one of the main reason why I prefer jetBook with TFT screen.
I dropped my jetBook many times and screen still works. If you stay at home eInk screen is fine but if you travel a lot jetBook screen much more convenient.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have dropped my Kindle many times and it works fine. There are stories of people who have left their Kindles on top of cars and had them hit the pavement when they took off and be fine. There are probably people with jetbooks who have dropped them and had them break.

Any device with a screen is going to be fragile. Stuff happens.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #21
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I've read the suggestion a few times that Amazon might replace it. They probably prefer replacing some non-defective units on occasion rather than have someone think that since their kindle is broken, they might want to consider another brand and therefore, lose a book purchaser. Good luck
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Normally if they won't replace it for free they will offer to sell a new one for a significantly lower price. I know k2s that were purchased for $85, which people were guessing was the price of the screen.

I think he called Amazon Support and not Kindle Support.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Wouldn't it be a better idea to standardize the family's readers on the jet book rather than throwing in a Kindle since the rest of the family has Jet Book's? That way perhaps you all can share books and the most technologically inclined of the family can do tech support for the entire family?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
hey everyone, sorry about the delay.

i got in touch with Amazon.....

and....

no luck

cant be replaced. It was brand new! And i tried everything and even called back 3 more times to connect to different representatives

its a leak

its as though the the liquid (eink) managed to seep out. if i wiggle it left and right (which ive been doing now) you can see the eink move on different parts of the screen as well

its surprising no one has encountered this yet
Sorry you had no luck with Amazon.

You could be right about the leak, but I certainly don't know enough about the technology to say whether or not the "ink" in the eInk capsules can actually leak out, or if so many of them could burst at once to form the pattern on your Kindle screen without some sort of traumatic impact having caused them to burst! To me, it looks like a screen that was damaged by some sort of impact and apparently Amazon came to the same conclusion.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Wouldn't it be a better idea to standardize the family's readers on the jet book rather than throwing in a Kindle since the rest of the family has Jet Book's? That way perhaps you all can share books and the most technologically inclined of the family can do tech support for the entire family?
I'm not sure what this post means - and I hope I am not feeding the bears by responding to it! As LuBiB stated in his original post, he was the one giving Jet Books to family members. He is not the one who "threw" the Kindle into the mix, it was his mother who gave him the Kindle. And no where did he state that, because his expertise was with the Jet Book, he needed technical support to fix the problem with the Kindle. The damage to the screen can't be solved by a knowledgeable techie, it is a physical problem that can only be resolved by replacement!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #26
wolw
-= Balsa flies better =-
wolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Call it what you want, but the "leak" is caused by an impact of something.
I see broken screens everyday, not a valid warranty claim, period!

Blog Kindle's kindle on the other had can be a number of thing; cracked PCB, conductor foil, graphic circuitry or the screen it self.

Last edited by wolw; 12-18-2010 at 12:21 PM.
wolw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
ValSanders
ValSanders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Anyone have any idea how often Amazon will replace something like this? Or under what conditions?

I kind of get the impression they do a pretty good job with their CS.
ValSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Agree. It was one of the main reason why I prefer jetBook with TFT screen.
I dropped my jetBook many times and screen still works. If you stay at home eInk screen is fine but if you travel a lot jetBook screen much more convenient.
I did the same with my BeBook Mini. And I simply toss it in my bag too...

A leak is caused by a crack. But it looks like the crack is in the e-ink layer itself, not the top layer. My mother once had that with a laptop. The screen was completely fine, on the outside, but yet, it was leaking on the inside (my brother had twisted the screen, thinking it had only a single point where the lid closed... it had two and he had opened only one )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a crack in the screen substrate - the thin glass layer that's below the outer screen. It's a very characteristic appearance, and those of us who've been around for a while have seen dozens of such pictures. It is most certainly not a "leak" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #30
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That, is definitively a broken screen, trust someone who found her screen in a similar state. I can even point where the screen had been hit.
And, as HarryT, this kind of thing is most likely user fault. And out of warranty.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-19-2010 at 08:09 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle 3, kindle leak screen, screen leak