Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yea. i had installed the font hack, but i had uninstall them a few days before the froze. So i dont think it was the cause.

Anyway, no hurt in trying, i will try asking NiLuJe for help.

*please oo God, make my K3 work again*
If you installed the font hack then I think that may the issue. I thought I had uninstalled it too, but hadnt. Some kindles just dont get on with the hack, while others are fine. Screensaver one is fine for me though.
This is what you need to try:
switch back to the fonts included in the src directory in the original font hack zip and reboot.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-30-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
thanks for the reply.

i tried pulling out the power but still no luck. even holding the button until my thumb went numb.

i will try email them Amazon, then. (i don't want to phone as my English is crappy )

I'm not on the 'contacted' list to be phoned from overseas, but I found it is best to phone them myself.
Don't mind your english, they are patient. I once had someone from Amazone on the phone with 'crappy' English as well, so I just phoned again.
It has always worked out for me, but sometimes one has to phone twice to get a good result; as the quality of the Amazon-phone-helpdeskpersons, though always friendly, differ.

Good luck.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-30-2010 at 09:47 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
@Pushka
I tried it but my K3 still dead. copied the 'linkfont' folder inside > reset > still dead. i am not sure if i did it right, though.

@desertblues
But I am a bit worried if they asking me to verify my US citizenship. i used a dummy US address when shipping.

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think you should try what I'll call a "blind" Reset to Factory Defaults. If you can still see the files on your Kindle when connected to your computer, this may work.

Your Kindle should not be connect to your computer or to power. Use the sliding switch to turn your Kindle on and wait a bit and press the Home button just to make sure your Kindle is on the Home page.

This time attach your Kindle to your computer to see the files on it. This will confirm that your Kindle is "on". Safely eject the Kindle from your computer and remove the USB cable. Press the "Home" button to make sure we start there.

Press then Menu button then down arrow 5 times and press the center of the pad for enter (don't press 6 times, the cursor will skip over the grayed out "View downloading Items").

Press Menu again and press the down arrow 3 times to get to Reset to Factory Defaults. Press the center of the pad. A dialog box asking you to confirm that you want to do the factory reset with pop up, press the center of the pad again and the reset will start. It's a longer process to reset to Factory Defaults and it will wipe out all the content on your Kindle. You should copy your Kindle's "documents" folder to your computer so that it's easy to get your content back.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-02-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Left out a very important step.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #20
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Pushka
I tried it but my K3 still dead. copied the 'linkfont' folder inside > reset > still dead. i am not sure if i did it right, though.

@desertblues
But I am a bit worried if they asking me to verify my US citizenship. i used a dummy US address when shipping.

They don't. They just ask for your email, adress etc, to verify your account, to see wether the Kindle is actually registred to you, and you are the person who owns it, but they don't ask about citizenship etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You will be fine. You have nothing to lose. If there are any queries, just say you are travelling. Give them your drop box address if you happen to score a replacement one.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
fyrogenesis
Undead

@daffy4u
thanks for went all the trouble to post the screenshots. but i didn't work for me.. then again, i am not really sure i did it right.

@Pushka @desertblues
I think my only option right now is to call them. mybe in the next few days i will get to that. since i am a very shy/nervous person, i need sometime to gather enough courage to do so.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #23
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
If you can see your Kindle connected to PC it is obviously either fonts hack problem or hardware problem with display (or its controller). If you really don't had an option to send it back to Amazon for replacement then you could open it and see for the annoying problem with failing screws - may some ot them does short-circuit or so?

Also I remember there in forum I have seen an instruction on Factory reset with holding some keys (not via menus). It was something like after 30s holding power slider to press Home key for 5s and wait. But I forget where it is (this instruction).

Last edited by enkov; 12-02-2010 at 05:56 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
@daffy4u
thanks for went all the trouble to post the screenshots. but i didn't work for me.. then again, i am not really sure i did it right.
I'm going to ask you to try it one more time. I forgot one last and IMPORTANT step. I'm editing my previous post, see the changes in RED.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
staceyb
staceyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I received the new version of the Kindle in October. I have had ongoing issues with the unit freezing. Sometimes it will wake up when I reset it and other times it will not wake up at all. Amazon just sent me my 2nd replacement after numerous attempts at troubleshooting and downloading the latest software update. I am really hoping that 3rd time is a charm. I have had all 3 versions of the Kindle and have never had a problem like this before.

If you continue to have problems, call Amazon and get a new one.
staceyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Okay, that's way better than your PM with a bit of context, so here goes .

Like daffy4u & others said, if you still have USB access, there's a chance it's not really dead yet .

If you can't do the reset to factory defaults the way daffy4u described, do a hard restart (~15s slide with the Kindle unplugged), and hold the [HOME] button while it boots 'till a screen asking you to type RESET appears. Do this. It'll wipe your Kindle (and disable any non-permanent hacks [ie. fonts/ss]). If it's still quirky after that, something's definitely wrong, and not because of the hacks.

It's not really clear from your previous posts, but do you even see the bootup screens when you do a hard restart (~15s slide)? If not, what actually do you see on the screen?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-03-2010 at 02:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
fyrogenesis
Undead

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies guys but i had already settle with Amazon.

We had to called them twice to verify that my kindle is dead ('we' as in the first session i asked a friend to call Amazon for me since i am such a scaredy cat.).

so now need a replacement.

i got some few problem to figured out though:
1. i dont have printer
2. i am living here in Malaysia, so i dont think the return label works. i tried to explain/lie to them before but it seems they didn't get it. perhaps because my english is crappy and i usually said OK to everything they said. (and the CS is a bit clueless, although friendly)
3. i have to send to them the damaged kindle in 30days (but i already said i need at least 60days), if not i will be charged for a new kindle (i thought i send the damaged kindle first, then they will send a replacement, so time is not really a problem.. but not; they send first, i send later! )
4. the biggest problem is i need to settle this all today since tomorrow i will be going someplace rural for a week.

can i just use any other mail service? i dont want to call them again and explain, since i am very terrible at that vocally. but i did sent email. still waiting for a reply.

anyone from US willing to help me..?

Last edited by fyrogenesis; 12-03-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #28
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I had a similar problem with mine, it turned out to be amazon's official cover (not lighted). After a call to customer service they admitted they'd had some problems with that. Removed the cover and haven't had a problem since. So if you have a cover try without it. I know that sounds insane, but try.
What he said. I have not noticed if you are using a case or not.

Thanks to phineas for the link.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys but i had already settle with Amazon.

We had to called them twice to verify that my kindle is dead ('we' as in the first session i asked a friend to call Amazon for me since i am such a scaredy cat.).

so now need a replacement.

i got some few problem to figured out though:
1. i dont have printer
2. i am living here in Malaysia, so i dont think the return label works. i tried to explain/lie to them before but it seems they didn't get it. perhaps because my english is crappy and i usually said OK to everything they said. (and the CS is a bit clueless, although friendly)
3. i have to send to them the damaged kindle in 30days (but i already said i need at least 60days), if not i will be charged for a new kindle (i thought i send the damaged kindle first, then they will send a replacement, so time is not really a problem.. but not; they send first, i send later! )
4. the biggest problem is i need to settle this all today since tomorrow i will be going someplace rural for a week.

can i just use any other mail service? i dont want to call them again and explain, since i am very terrible at that vocally. but i did sent email. still waiting for a reply.

anyone from US willing to help me..?
You just go rural for a week, and when you've come back perhaps the replacement is there. If not; it will soon be.
You put your defective Kindle in the box the replacement came in; send it insured to Amazon and write the shipping-amount on the outside of that box: they'll reimburse you.

Amzon will, for a better customclearance, charge your creditcard for the replacement, but will refund that same amount to you a few days later. The charging is just a technicality for customs.

Amazon then makes a kind of 'time-window/frame' on your account. Amazon views the return of the defective replacement as an open order. That is: you can see on the page where you check your orders, that there's some order still open : that is the replacement you are sending back and should arrive within 30 days. Then they'll close that time-window/frame.

You say that the 30-days is a problem for you. I would email Amazon about that and explain you need a larger time-window/frame for sending it back. Be sure to get a good response; a sign that they understand your problem. Otherwise email again, or phone them. If Amazon gets your defective Kindle after longer than 30 days, they'll charge you for it. So be sure to have an agreement from Amazon that you can exceed that 30 days.
Good luck and remain confident.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #30
fyrogenesis
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
You just go rural for a week, and when you've come back perhaps the replacement is there. If not; it will soon be.
You put your defective Kindle in the box the replacement came in; send it insured to Amazon and write the shipping-amount on the outside of that box: they'll reimburse you.

Amazon will, for a better custom clearance, charge your credit card for the replacement, but will refund that same amount to you a few days later. The charging is just a technicality for customs.

Amazon then makes a kind of 'time-window/frame' on your account. Amazon views the return of the defective replacement as an open order. That is: you can see on the page where you check your orders, that there's some order still open : that is the replacement you are sending back and should arrive within 30 days. Then they'll close that time-window/frame.

You say that the 30-days is a problem for you. I would email Amazon about that and explain you need a larger time-window/frame for sending it back. Be sure to get a good response; a sign that they understand your problem. Otherwise email again, or phone them. If Amazon gets your defective Kindle after longer than 30 days, they'll charge you for it. So be sure to have an agreement from Amazon that you can exceed that 30 days.
Good luck and remain confident.
i did that, and yeah the CS was really super-friendly. i had to called them a few times though, to get things right (which is not easy due to my bad english ). they told me i will get 60days time frame since now is a festive+holiday season. thank God.

the weird thing is that after i emailed them about my shipping cost, they immediately approved it and said the refund will take place in 3 days business. Good to me, yes but here it's weird because i did not send to them any invoice/receipt of the shipping. they seems to just take my word for it, and believe me, the shipping cost is not cheap.

i hope i am not saying it too soon , but yeah Amazon CS really deserved a several thumbs up! .....

simply can't wait to read like crazy again

thanks for anyone here for the help and advices!