Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
johnny88
johnny88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad
Gutenberg Downloads

Just purchased my Kobo; installed Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) successfully in Kobo; downloaded a book from Gutenberg and saved the ePub file to the ADE Library within Kobo, but cannot find/see the book in my Kobo reader -- it is not a Document. So where's the book? Help!

Try for yourselves; see what happens and please let me know.

Thanks
johnny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
If it is a duplicate of one of the 100 free books and you have those hidden it might be with them. When you hit 'display' does it show that you have anything hidden or in view or whatever they call it?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny88 View Post
Just purchased my Kobo; installed Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) successfully in Kobo; downloaded a book from Gutenberg and saved the ePub file to the ADE Library within Kobo, but cannot find/see the book in my Kobo reader -- it is not a Document. So where's the book? Help!

I've downloaded many books from Project Gutenberg and installed them successfully on my Kobo using the free (contributions accepted) Calibre software. After one attempt to use the Adobe software, I dumped it without regret.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Surprised by your problem, Johnny. Hope there's a qiuck fix. Good to have your new company, by the way. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
I've downloaded many books from Project Gutenberg and installed them successfully on my Kobo using the free (contributions accepted) Calibre software. After one attempt to use the Adobe software, I dumped it without regret.
I still need to use it for Toronto Library's Overdrive Service.

Oh, Overdrive Libraries, now that is something that you can not do on an iPad!
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Oh, Overdrive Libraries, now that is something that you can not do on an iPad!
Not yet, but Overdrive has announced they're doing apps for various things including the iPad.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not yet, but Overdrive has announced they're doing apps for various things including the iPad.
I'll see when I believe it or, err, something like that.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
johnny88

Thanks for the welcome Neil - much appreciated!

In reply to RonH -- thanks Ron.

I did the following with success:

1. Installed Calibre
2. Imported my book from Gutenberg into ADE (done previously).
3. Using Calibre, I imported my book from ADE into Calibre Library.
4. Then added the book from the Calibre Library to my Kobo.
4. Voila, there it is -- in my Kobo to reader!

Ron -- is there a way to import books directly from Gutenberg to Calibre, so I can avoid ADE all together?

Thanks again!

Last edited by johnny88; 07-26-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: More accurate events.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You can download the ePub from Gutenberg and import that into Calibre. You do not need to use ADE at all.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Yes, download the epub file from Gutenberg, open it in calibre, transfer it to the Kobo. Voila.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny88 View Post
Ron -- is there a way to import books directly from Gutenberg to Calibre, so I can avoid ADE all together?
As others have mentioned, just choose the epub file in Gutenberg and import it into Calibre and then transfer it directly to the Kobo. No conversion required and no ADE. In fact, you may have to delete ADE -- I found it interfered with Calibre when I ran it, briefly.

Project Gutenberg is a wonderful resource. I'm not much interested in purchasing the ephemera of the bestseller lists (sorry, Kobo!), but I've found many gems from an earlier era on Gutenberg, including a long list of Mark Twain titles, a similarly long list of Anthony Trollope novels, many works by Stephen Leacock, and a remarkable book by an unknown author named Henry Labouchere who wrote a series of dispatches from inside Paris during the 1870-1871 siege of the Franco-Prussian war. Starving Parisians even gnawed their way through most of the animals in the Paris zoo. Elephant meat is not very tasty, Labouchere reported.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

"Project Gutenberg is a wonderful resource. I'm not much interested in purchasing the ephemera of the bestseller lists (sorry, Kobo!)"

I agree. I keep watching "new releases" on Kobo and it is all crap. Is the major audience for ereaders only interested in spy thrillers and twit lit? I don't get it.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
johnny88

RonH et al.,

Thanks again -- it worked like a charm; just right click on the specific EPUB book link, click "save target as" to the Calibre Library file; and go from there!

I'll also download some of the books that you recommended -- I prefer lentil soup to elephant steaks!

Last edited by johnny88; 07-27-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement to others