Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, that can help with white text on black background being too bright, too (but it’s not my issue). I do very little reading in completely dark rooms. Whatever the screen, reading in completely dark rooms is not optimal.

Firefox has Dark mode that works very well for web browsing.
I never use Dark Mode. I just find light text on dark background too uncomfortable.

Regular dark text on light background with display brightness at 0% and Reduce White Point set somewhere between 60-80% works best for me.

On older iOS versions, Reduce White Point was fixed at around 25%, iirc, which was still too bright so I still used the extra dimming option on Marvin. I think iOS 10/11 introduced more fine tuned control over that.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:24 AM   #17
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Settings > Accessibility > Display > Reduce White Point

I’ve got a shortcut for Accessibility in the Control Center so I can easily enable it at night. Better than app-specific controls since it’s universal and switching between your ereader app of choice to, say, Safari won’t suddenly blind you.
Cool! I didn't know that "Reduce White Point" can make the screen even dimmer than the lowest system brightness level.

For the original question about "Apple Books", which has a black background theme but no app-specific brightness control, I vote for ilovejedd's reply as the best answer to the question.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It is possible to own both Android and iOS devices...
Different devices means different hardware/software meaning apples/oranges.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Different devices means different hardware/software meaning apples/oranges.
So what? OP is just saying Books/iBooks is missing a feature that the Kindle and MoonReader apps have. As far as I know, there's no iBooks on Android (which the OP mentions using) so the logical conclusion is he's used both.

On the iOS side, I know for sure Stanza (RIP) and Marvin have built-in extra dimming/contrat reduction. I believe Stanza has actually had it since initial release. It was one of my favorite features since I read in the dark.

Haven't really checked which other iOS reading apps have it since by the time I was testing Marvin alternatives, Apple has already added the system-wide Reduce White Point accessibility option.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #20
Korn on the Kobo
Korn on the Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (1st)
This.

Quote:
Settings > Accessibility > Display > Reduce White Point

I’ve got a shortcut for Accessibility in the Control Center so I can easily enable it at night. Better than app-specific controls since it’s universal and switching between your ereader app of choice to, say, Safari won’t suddenly blind you.
I’ve done the same thing — super easy I triple-click home button to turn it on and off with a shortcut (Google for how to create), but also … I Tint the screen red as much as possible. With that I have high luminosity to be able to read but eliminated almost all blue from the spectrum, screen looks like a post-apocalpytic San Francisco orange sky.
Korn on the Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So what? OP is just saying Books/iBooks is missing a feature that the Kindle and MoonReader apps have. As far as I know, there's no iBooks on Android (which the OP mentions using) so the logical conclusion is he's used both.

On the iOS side, I know for sure Stanza (RIP) and Marvin have built-in extra dimming/contrat reduction. I believe Stanza has actually had it since initial release. It was one of my favorite features since I read in the dark.

Haven't really checked which other iOS reading apps have it since by the time I was testing Marvin alternatives, Apple has already added the system-wide Reduce White Point accessibility option.
But there's no need anymore for in-app dimming since you can swipe up from the bottom and get the brightness control.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there's no need anymore for in-app dimming since you can swipe up from the bottom and get the brightness control.
OP is saying that the 0% brightness setting is still too bright. I often read in almost complete darkness so I understand.

Apps like Moon+ Reader, Stanza, Marvin and apparently Kindle have an "extra dimming" feature which basically reduces contrast so the display looks even dimmer than the lowest brightness setting.

Books/iBooks doesn't have this feature. However, iOS 11 and newer have a system-wide "Reduce White Point" Accessibility option that works similarly.