Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
Plato pdf reader on Remarkable
Nice option as well but it seems like the fork hasn't been updated for two years: https://github.com/darvin/plato

I noticed on the youtube link you gave us the draft launcher, which will make it easy to run plato or koreader on the rM2 even with the loss of the physical buttons https://github.com/dixonary/draft-reMarkable . Seems like it can be a pretty versatile ereader with the right apps!
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #17
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I have also been looking into this device as it would replace my Kindle/iPad for reading and allow me to take notes. My biggest concern is how it may handle the metadata when I port books from Calibre to the Rm2. I realize that this is NOT marketed as an e-reader but it would be good to know this upfront especially when it comes to series keeping them in order. I am going to wait until more people have the device and make my decision at that point. For those that have ordered - please post your impressions after you have had time to play with it.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #18
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I have also been looking into this device as it would replace my Kindle/iPad for reading and allow me to take notes. My biggest concern is how it may handle the metadata when I port books from Calibre to the Rm2. I realize that this is NOT marketed as an e-reader but it would be good to know this upfront especially when it comes to series keeping them in order. I am going to wait until more people have the device and make my decision at that point. For those that have ordered - please post your impressions after you have had time to play with it.
When used as a reader, I would prefer Boox or Likebook devices.
The software from Boox enables notes in all ebook formats that can be displayed by the NeoReader, those from Likebook only in pdf.
Calibre Companion can be installed on the devices of both manufacturers, so that you can move on the device as in Calibre.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-23-2020 at 01:39 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #19
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It doesn't compete with a Kobo Libra for epubs
How do you mean?
(I have a Kobo Forma.)

Last edited by droopy; 05-29-2020 at 01:46 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #20
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

It's clearly not an ereader. It's great if your goal is to take note and annotate PDF. You can install Koreader on it and read anything though but it won't work out of the box with calibre.
Advert
Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

It doesn't compete with a Kobo Libra for epubs
How do you mean?
(I have a Kobo Forma.)
Forma sounds good too. I didn't get one because the Libra was about €100 cheaper.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:48 AM   #22
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Deliveries of the ReMarkable 2 have been delayed. Earliest deliveries early August. My batch has been delayed from early August to early October. Now tossing up whether to wait two months longer, or to request a refund.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #23
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
or to request a refund.
I asked them for a refund yesterday. I purchased a kobo libra h20 recently for GBP149 and I am loving the 'open' nature of being able to sideload epubs and comic books as well as using the overdrive with my local library.

Unfortunately for me the time delay was enough to snap me out of carrying yet another device around with me... Laptop, iPad, Work iPhone, Personal Phone and now Kobo Libra. Adding a remarkable 2 to the mix would have broken me.

I also found their customer service a bit weird, I ordered in early april and decided I wanted to switch to the Book Folio in leather, i contacted them who told me I had to cancel my order and re-order, they did refund the money in 2 days, I re-ordered and my slot moved back to August. Rather than saying it's ok we can take the extra £50

Also I did find it a bit galling they took the whole £529 out of my card straight away, which under UK law they are not supposed to do until they are ready to dispatch. However you are buying from Norway so different rules apply.

I did challenge them on this and their attitude was if you don't like it lump it.

That was enough to make me think I am paying £529 for a notebook, which would buy me approx 35 Atoma notebooks, even more if you use paper refills. Also a notebook that could cease functioning if Remarkable A/S stop supporting it.

It looks like a fantastic device but for me the buts.. were getting too large
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #24
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
At least they are very prompt with their refunds. Within 8 hours of asking for a refund, after they initially tried to get me to buy the reMarkable 1 instead, it was in my account. I'll now wait for the reviews, and for the unit to be available ex-stock, before considering a new order.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #25
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I did the same thing, cancelled my pre-order. I also have a few devices too many at the moment, and now with home office, I tend to use more paper and pen

Hopefully they'll have it ready by Christmas, as I might be tempted by then (especially if the reviews are out!).
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #26
datanoise
Groupie

Tempted to cancel as well, I can't believe they didn't know earlier.

This makes the RM1 more interesting as they start to be available cheaper either from their store or second hand, and the hardware difference ain't that big between the two...
Old 06-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Indeed, although holding off for the moment as I’m still looking for something to primarily use to read various book pdfs better than a standard iPad...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #28
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Have *any* actually shipped yet? I guess the whole pre-order concept means you're taking some risk, but it would be great if there was one actual hands-on review available.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #29
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, all the order batches have slipped, with the first now scheduled for “Late Aug” -
https://support.remarkable.com/hc/en...ivery-schedule
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No, all the order batches have slipped, with the first now scheduled for “Late Aug” -
https://support.remarkable.com/hc/en...ivery-schedule
Thanks! I sent them a tech question, but maybe somebody here knows. Do any of the alternate readers, or possibly the OS itself suppose onboard encryption? It mentions encrypted cloud storage and fine transfer, bt there's no indication that you can protect the documents that are retained on the device itself.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote