Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
Does anybody know if the nova 3 housing has changed in any way? When I hold the nova 2 in my hands the feel is like a cheap thin plastic device not very sturdy and massive. Did they change that in nova 3?
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbernitz View Post
Does anybody know if the nova 3 housing has changed in any way? When I hold the nova 2 in my hands the feel is like a cheap thin plastic device not very sturdy and massive. Did they change that in nova 3?
There is no change from Note 2 to Note 3, so there will be no change in the Nova.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #18
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
There is no change from Note 2 to Note 3, so there will be no change in the Nova.
Photos from Onyx Weibo

This is the comparison between Nova 2 and Nova 3

winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #19
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbernitz View Post
I'm a bit wary about that line if thinking, as it seems that reviewers complaining about smartphone with plastic (or even metal) backs feeling "not premium" enough is what "blessed" us with glass housings on most flagships, making them even harder to repair and easier to break at the same time.
On the other hand, having the device feel massive would seem to run counter to the aim of having a lightweight device for reading, no?
Me, I don't care if the device "feels" cheap, as long as it is light and doesn't break easily, while still allowing me to open it up for, e.g., battery replacement.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
My Note 2 feels fine inside a cheap cover. The cover even does the standby thing well.

(The pictures look to be showing this model on a smaller device, the bezel cover that secures the device is a little different and thinner, on the 10.3" Note 2.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-20-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #21
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Me, I don't care if the device "feels" cheap, as long as it is light and doesn't break easily, while still allowing me to open it up for, e.g., battery replacement.
My thoughts exactly. I want a durable, functional device that is light and easy on the battery and ideally on the wallet as well. I'm not as concerned with the aesthetics of the device, particularly if it will be hidden in a cover.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I'm not as concerned with the aesthetics of the device, particularly if it will be hidden in a cover.
My opinion on this:
The Poke2 (6 inches) weighs 206 g with the cover - the KoboForma/TolinoEpos2 (8 inches) without the cover 195 g.
The KoboForma/TolinoEpos2 covers weigh from 150 g.
With a cover, these devices are in the 10.3 inch weight class.
Although I have covers for these devices, I don't use them due to their weight.
I will probably make an exception with the Note Air, because the cover can also be used as a stand.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #23
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
I wonder if it’s only in China. What are the specs on this device? Why does it look like version 2 in both cases?
They now prepare for selling it from their Europe warehouse and US warehouse, with fast shipping

https://shop.boox.com/products/note2...36677557158051
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #24
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
My opinion on this:
The Poke2 (6 inches) weighs 206 g with the cover - the KoboForma/TolinoEpos2 (8 inches) without the cover 195 g.
The KoboForma/TolinoEpos2 covers weigh from 150 g.
With a cover, these devices are in the 10.3 inch weight class.
Although I have covers for these devices, I don't use them due to their weight.
I will probably make an exception with the Note Air, because the cover can also be used as a stand.
Yes the cover is the pain in the ass. I could find a kindle oasis cover with lower than 80g but it is really hard to find a cover (not even a light cover) dedicated for Onyx Boox. The default cover is heavy but there are no alternatives.

Quote:
But it has a different design, which by far exceeds the insignificant disadvantages mentioned - in my eyes it is designed for landscape format.
I don't notice a 42 g difference in this weight range.
3 GB RAM is far enough - I don't notice any difference between Likebook Ares (2 GB) and Likebook Alita (4 GB)
And if you can't get by with 32 GB of storage capacity, you won't get by with 64 GB and will need USB OTG anyway.
Battery capacity? I have sockets at home.
Anyway, I ordered one and it will arrive in the next few days.
I agree that your eye is designed for landscape format, therefore you can choose the landscape option on all Onyx devices. This video shows how could you do a rotation to landscape. I currently set my device to landscape mode too.

Please enjoy your Note Air and thanks for your answer. If the design is the only advantage then I would consider Note 3. I always dream that Boox can create something like Kindle Oasis (optimized for one hand grab) but I don't think it should apply to a 420g device (I wouldn't hold an iPad for more than 15 minutes with one hand). In fact if they put the design on Nova or Poke it would make more sense.

Please enjoy your Note Air.

Last edited by winstonma; 10-21-2020 at 02:04 AM.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote