Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
MaienM
Member
MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
[Metadata Source Plugin] Goodreads More Tags

This plugin scrapes the shelves page of Goodreads to provide more tags than the top 4 (which are shown on the main page and scraped by the Goodreads plugin).

This plugin will only provide tags. It is meant to be used as a companion to the Goodreads plugin, and it is essentially an extended version of the genre -> tag mapping included in that plugin.

Main Features
  • Can retrieve the shelves page of Goodreads to provide more tags.
  • Customizable mapping from shelf name -> tags. A shelf can be mapped to multiple tags, and multiple shelves can map to the same tag(s).
  • Fine-grained filtering to only keep tags that enough people agree on.
  • Integrates with the Goodreads plugin to provide tags for all of its results.

Special Notes
  • Requires Calibre 0.8 or later.
  • If used without the base Goodreads plugin, it will only get tags for books that have a Goodreads identifier.

Installation Notes
  • Download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
  • Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.
  • Customize your desired genre -> tag mappings and other options from the metadata download configuration screen. Hover over the ? symbols to get an explanation of what the various options do.

Version History
Spoiler:

Version 1.2.1 - 15 November 2020
  • Fixed an error in adding a new shelf to the mapping.
  • Fixed an error in removing a shelf from the mapping.
  • Fixed an error in saving the preferences.

Version 1.2.0 - 14 November 2020
  • Update to work with Calibre 5/Python 3.
  • Speed up the case where the Goodreads plugin is installed but not currently enabled as a metadata source.
  • Don't provide any results if the list of tags after mapping + filtering is empty.

Version 1.1.0 - 15 December 2019
  • Large internal changes that should resolve the problems with hanging/reliability.
  • There are now some settings for the integration with the base Goodreads plugin.

Version 1.0.1 - 04 August 2019
  • Fixed the spelling of threshold.

Version 1.0.0 - 04 August 2019
  • Initial release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-14-122524_2560x1388_scrot.png
Views:	34
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	183375  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Goodreads.More.Tags.zip (14.6 KB, 641 views)

Last edited by MaienM; 11-15-2020 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Formatting changes in version history
MaienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
Penny_Dreadful
Connoisseur
Penny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud of
 
Penny_Dreadful's Avatar
 
Posts: 65
Karma: 27856
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Device: Kindle PW, Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
I'd been occasionally doing this manually for books with only one Tag, being able to do it automatically is brilliant!

Thank you!!
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Isomorpheus
Junior Member
Isomorpheus began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2019
Device: Kobo Aura HD
This is very useful, thank you!

I don't quite understand, though, how the Goodreads identifier is being grabbed. I have the Goodreads plugin installed too but it seems like I need to run the metadata download twice -- once to get the Goodreads identifier, and then again to get the extra tags. Is that intended?
Isomorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Wolgan
Junior Member
Wolgan began at the beginning.
 
Wolgan's Avatar
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 18
Join Date: Jun 2017
Device: Kindle Fire
Great concept, and it works great, when it works. It seems like about 2 out 3 times it hangs and won't download. All my books already have a goodreads ID attached, so that's not the issue. Even when it's the only metadata plugin enabled, same issue. If I run it as a job, it throws the error below if I wait long enough.

Code:
Starting job: Download metadata for one book 
Job: "Download metadata for one book" failed with error: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\bulk_download.py", line 251, in download
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 262, in fork_job
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 186, in run_job
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 108, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker appears to have hung
 
Called with args: ([912], u'C:\\Users\\Wolgan\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre__ma5nf\\mo7gjl_metadata_bulk.log', <calibre.db.legacy.LibraryDatabase object at 0x00000208EEE73248>, True, False, None) {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x00000208F4D3E348>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x000002088AA37D48>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x00000209171938C8>}
Wolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
MaienM
Member
MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorpheus View Post
This is very useful, thank you!

I don't quite understand, though, how the Goodreads identifier is being grabbed. I have the Goodreads plugin installed too but it seems like I need to run the metadata download twice -- once to get the Goodreads identifier, and then again to get the extra tags. Is that intended?
This is not intentional, no. It attempts to detect the identifiers found by Goodreads and uses these, in a single pass. This seemed to work on my system last I used this, but I'll take another look at it to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolgan View Post
Great concept, and it works great, when it works. It seems like about 2 out 3 times it hangs and won't download. All my books already have a goodreads ID attached, so that's not the issue. Even when it's the only metadata plugin enabled, same issue. If I run it as a job, it throws the error below if I wait long enough.

Code:
Starting job: Download metadata for one book 
Job: "Download metadata for one book" failed with error: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\bulk_download.py", line 251, in download
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 262, in fork_job
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 186, in run_job
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 108, in communicate
WorkerError: Worker appears to have hung
 
Called with args: ([912], u'C:\\Users\\Wolgan\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre__ma5nf\\mo7gjl_metadata_bulk.log', <calibre.db.legacy.LibraryDatabase object at 0x00000208EEE73248>, True, False, None) {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x00000208F4D3E348>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x000002088AA37D48>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x00000209171938C8>}
Yeah, it's not yet 100% reliable unfortunately. I'll take a look at this again soon. I'm pretty sure I actually have some unreleased work/fixes related to it hanging, but it might need some polishing.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the process is to release updates? It doesn't seem like I can edit the first post, unless I'm missing something.
MaienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 20,431
Karma: 33864664
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaienM View Post
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the process is to release updates? It doesn't seem like I can edit the first post, unless I'm missing something.
There should be an edit button in the bottom right of the post next to the quote button. But, you might need a certain number of posts before it gets enabled. I'd ask a moderator about that. Or ask them to update the post until you can edit your post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,839
Karma: 13774200
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaienM View Post
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the process is to release updates? It doesn't seem like I can edit the first post, unless I'm missing something.
As @davidfor states there should be an edit button in the bottom right corner of your post, see attached. If you don't see an edit button, create a new thread in the Feedback forum and ask for assistance from a moderator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post1 Edit Button.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	175516  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
MaienM
Member
MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I just released a new version, which includes a number of improvements.

First of all, I've resolved the issues with hooking into the Goodreads plugin (or so it seems from my testing). This means it should just work™ now

Second, if this hook does fail, it will now give up on waiting after a bit, and continue with an existing Goodreads id on the book (if any). This means that if the hook does fail, you should at least be able to get the tags on a second run. Not ideal, but better than hanging.

I've also made it possible to disable the integration with the base Goodreads plugin in the settings, so if you run into issues you can just turn the integration off, and always fallback to using the existing Goodreads id on the book.

Let me know if this works for you guys!
MaienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
jennie2486
Junior Member
jennie2486 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2017
Device: Android Tablet
Question Error when installing Goodreads More Tags plugin to Calibre

Hi,

This is my first time installing Goodreads More Tags plugin to Calibre. When I tried to install it I received an error of the following:

calibre, version 5.1.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 202, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 655, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 618, in _load_backward_compatible
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 184, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_more_tags.__init__" , line 4, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'


I would really like to use this plugin, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.
jennie2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 25,784
Karma: 35600001
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
5.4.2 is the latest and fixes a bunch of issues (that can happen with any new release)
Why not get current, then update the PI if it shows as available.

It just might be your issue has been fixed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 20,431
Karma: 33864664
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie2486 View Post
Hi,

This is my first time installing Goodreads More Tags plugin to Calibre. When I tried to install it I received an error of the following:

calibre, version 5.1.0
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 202, in load
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 655, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 618, in _load_backward_compatible
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 184, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_more_tags.__init__" , line 4, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Queue'


I would really like to use this plugin, does anyone have a solution?
That looks like a Python 3 problem. The plugin needs to updated for calibre v5/Python 3.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:06 AM   #12
MaienM
Member
MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like a Python 3 problem. The plugin needs to updated for calibre v5/Python 3.
This is correct. I'll take a look at getting this updated. Might take a bit depending on how much work it is, we'll see.
MaienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #13
Penny_Dreadful
Connoisseur
Penny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud ofPenny_Dreadful has much to be proud of
 
Penny_Dreadful's Avatar
 
Posts: 65
Karma: 27856
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Device: Kindle PW, Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaienM View Post
This is correct. I'll take a look at getting this updated. Might take a bit depending on how much work it is, we'll see.

That would be brilliant, this plugin is really useful.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 20,431
Karma: 33864664
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaienM View Post
This is correct. I'll take a look at getting this updated. Might take a bit depending on how much work it is, we'll see.
I'm pretty sure I looked at it and there were not that many changes. If you have just made changes to the Goodreads plugin, you might want to just take that and apply your changes again. Or even subclass of that with overrides of the appropriate methods.

And if you are doing either of those things, if I there are reasonable changes to the Goodreads plugin to make it simpler for you, I'll be happy to look at them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
MaienM
Member
MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!MaienM rocks like Gibraltar!
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 100000
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
That was pretty easy, new version is up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If there are reasonable changes to the Goodreads plugin to make it simpler for you, I'll be happy to look at them.
I appreciate the offer and I'll keep it in mind for the future!
MaienM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Metadata Source Plugin] Goodreads kiwidude Plugins 529 10-31-2020 02:16 AM
Goodreads plugin / tags from Calibre sstdiana Plugins 5 03-01-2016 03:09 PM
Suggestion: goodreads.com as metadata source. smokex Calibre 2 08-26-2013 12:57 AM
Ideas on how to improve Calibre: new metadata source (goodreads) + a new cover search MelBr Calibre 2 03-06-2013 04:25 PM
[Metadata Download Plugin] Goodreads Metadata **Deprecated** kiwidude Plugins 30 04-23-2011 03:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.