Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #1396
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Separating the page and word count for PDF might make sense.
I have planned to do a pdf metadata plugin that would extract everything it could find. Page count is on the list, and is trivial. But I don't know when I'll get around to it -- maybe end of next month.

Quote:
How often does it actually fail.
I've had two or three PDFs fail, a couple of markdowns fail (!!) and one or two extremely large epubs with lots of pictures fail.

For the pdfs -- I wonder if it would be possible to modify it to extract the text directly with a pdf tool instead of using pdf2html.

edit: And yes, at least some of those really did fail. One created >5G of images from a <20M pdf and filled up /tmp.

Last edited by compurandom; 11-02-2020 at 08:19 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #1397
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I have planned to do a pdf metadata plugin that would extract everything it could find. Page count is on the list, and is trivial.
This forum is alive and kicking, nice!

So there are three experienced members capable of working on such a plugin, kiwidude, davidfor, and you.

Wouldn't it be better to join forces and improve the existing Count Pages plugin?
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #1398
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
This forum is alive and kicking, nice!

So there are three experienced members capable of working on such a plugin, kiwidude, davidfor, and you.

Wouldn't it be better to join forces and improve the existing Count Pages plugin?
Kiwidude is off doing other things these days.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #1399
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For someone who only joined a few years ago, Kiwidude almost feels like some mythical figure.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #1400
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For someone who only joined a few years ago, Kiwidude almost feels like some mythical figure.
He was
He probably created a early set of PI that many folk use frequently.
Other folk have stepped up and are keeping many of those (popular ones) up to date.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #1401
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
My ears were burning... lol

Absolutely no interest from me in trying to do anything more with PDFs - it is a dreadful book format to try to develop tools to work with. From what I can vaguely recall about this plugin the page count for PDFs is already done separately as it is retrieved from the pdf metadata. So if you only want the page count, just turn off the word count column in the settings...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #1402
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The great one appears!

(I've been resisting the temptation to start a "kiwidude facts" list, ala Chuck Norris. )
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #1403
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
From what I can vaguely recall about this plugin the page count for PDFs is already done separately as it is retrieved from the pdf metadata.
That's good to know! Now if there was a button on the plugin for "count pages only" I could at least get that when extracting the text hurts too much without messing with options I can't remember to turn back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
Don't hold your breath for me, I won't have time to do any development until the end of the year, and I've got 3 other projects (including 2 other plugins) that need work.

Quote:

The PDF metadata plugin would be totally unrelated to count pages ... its primary purpose would be to skim out everything I can from the pdf; top on my list is presence / quality of a TOC in the book, but a couple of people have asked for some other things that are not already being extracted.

If I can extract TOC info, page count would be just a few more lines of code. The hard part is learning the API for the existing calibre pdf library. The manual is on my reading list, waiting for some empty cycles.

After I've done that, it might be worth it to come back to this plugin and see if I can adapt it to use that library instead of pdf2html.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #1404
Loco1911
Loco1911 began at the beginning.

Device: Noblex ER6a15
Hello, very good plugin. Are the Flesch, Kincaid and Gunning Fog indexes suitable for books in Spanish?
Loco1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #1405
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1911 View Post
Hello, very good plugin. Are the Flesch, Kincaid and Gunning Fog indexes suitable for books in Spanish?
Probably not, see Wikipedia ==>>Gunning fog index and Flesch–Kincaid readability tests

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #1406
Ansem_93
Connoisseur
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi,
I tried this plugin today and I don't why it gets the page count completely wrong.
I already used it on my preview pc and the counting was fine.
For example a book was 1397 pages before, I tried to recount the page and now it 8.

I left the default settings, should I edit something?
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #1407
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Hi,
I tried this plugin today and I don't why it gets the page count completely wrong.
I already used it on my preview pc and the counting was fine.
For example a book was 1397 pages before, I tried to recount the page and now it 8.

I left the default settings, should I edit something?
Are you saying you use the plugin to count pages and it gave 1397 and then did it again but got 8? And there were no changes in the books or other configuration between them? If so, I need some details. A calibre debug log when you do the counts. And seeing the actual book involved would be good.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
count pages, page count