Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Denwayz
Denwayz began at the beginning.

Device: None
Empty paragraph spaces disappear - MsWord to epub

In MsWord I have a list of review comments separated by empty paras. In epub the comments appear one on top of the other (the between spaces disappear). Is there a way to declare an empty space (para)?
Denwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
In the .css file, add or change the numbers for the margin-top and margin-bottom codes to 1em each (or however much space you want between the paragraphs). An example is below. I used "paragraph" for the paragraph text, so find the class that's being used in your ePub file for the paragraphs and look for that class in the .css file and add the two lines below.

.paragraph {
margin-top: 1em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
}
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Denwayz

Unfortunately, I know nothing about coding CSS.

That said, I don't want such empty spaces appearing after/before every para -- just in this 'section'. Do I now have to define MSWord doc as a 'section', and then get the CSS to see it (and only it) that way?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Denwayz

Interesting -- if I put the spaces between paras in a column in a table, they are preserved.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Denwayz - I recommend you do not use empty paragraphs to get vertical spacing, use before and/or after spacing in Word's Paragraph options, preferably via a named Style.

And that's a general recommendation, nothing to do with HTML, or ePub, I make the same recommendation if the document is to end up as ink on paper. A word processor (Writer, Word, Wordperfect etc) should not be treated like a glorified typewriter

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Denwayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Denwayz - I recommend you do not use empty paragraphs to get vertical spacing, use before and/or after spacing in Word's Paragraph options, preferably via a named Style.

And that's a general recommendation, nothing to do with HTML, or ePub, I make the same recommendation if the document is to end up as ink on paper. A word processor (Writer, Word, Wordperfect etc) should not be treated like a glorified typewriter

BR
Generally, I agree. I have a thousand pages of text here, and this applies to 2 of them. It is a unique situation (separating review comments), as I tried to describe. For example
##########
"A wonderful read!"
-- Julian Asskick

"Complete tripe!"
-- Katerina Asskick (wife of Julian)

"Oh, for God's sake, you two -- get a room!"
-- (Name withheld) Asskick (child of Julian & Katerina)
##########

The natural action is simply to leave an extra para between each review comment. One could certainly create two styles -- ReviewComments and NameOfReviewer, the second with defined points after, but it is counter-intuitive.

I wanted to learn about the converter so as to adjust to it. As it happens, this problem went away when I put all of the review text in a column. So this thread is now closed as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Denwayz; 04-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.