Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
2023001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quick battery drain on glo hd

I brought my kobo 2 month ago and it was great . However, lately , I discovered that my kobo sometimes experience sudden drop of bettery life, by the time I put down my kobo it was around 7X% , and it droped to 58% within minutes. It may even happened when I left it with sleep mode on. My glo hd is installed with the latest firmware btw.Does anybody else experience this problem?
2023001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
You don't say how many charge/discharge cycles the battery has been through. That makes a difference. You likely have enough cycles to have better reporting on the battery status after 2 months but we can't tell for sure. The batteries are basically learning how they are being used those first few charges. I would say you should have 5 cycles on them before almost believing any percentage reported by them. After three years on my device, I only look at that number as mostly charged, about half charged, or less than half.

Sleep can affect things but what I have found is my sleep cover caused battery to drain excessively fast. I believe that was due to the magnet that awakens the device. I think it was awakening many times a day even when the cover was closed. I turned off the setting for sleep cover and haven't had problems after that. Granted I always have to use the power slider to put it to sleep or waken it. I don't feel inconvenienced a bit by that.
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
This is a known problem with the Glo HD. There's another thread here on it. I think it's the current version of the firmware.

Sometimes a power cycle (deliberately powering it off and then back on) stops this from happening.

I'm also starting to think that it may be triggered by specific chapters in some ebooks.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My GLO HD went from 97% to 19% in less than 12 hours with wifi turned off and in sleep mode. I'm on firmware 3.19.5761. I can't find another thread on the issue but does anyone know why this would suddenly start happening?

My auto wifi sync is off too.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-01-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It not the first thread open on battery drain on glo hd with firmware 3.19.5761.

12 hours of reading is a little, especially that the battery need to last for two months 30 hours of reading, it might a probleme with the battery or the device.

You can downgrad firmware to 3.15 or 3.18 and see the effect on the battery drain.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
It not the first thread open on battery drain on glo hd with firmware 3.19.5761.

12 hours of reading is a little, especially that the battery need to last for two months 30 hours of reading, it might a probleme with the battery or the device.

You can downgrad firmware to 3.15 or 3.18 and see the effect on the battery drain.
I had no reading time at all. The GLO HD was in sleep mode the whole time.

I am charging it now and will see what happens after that. I'll check that thread and see what was said but I've never had this happen before. It wasn't syncing anything, the wifi was off and it was in sleep mode so no idea why the battery drained. It shouldn't have moved at all.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the problem persists, reboot the device, just in case there is a process in the background that got stuck in a loop or something.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If the problem persists, reboot the device, just in case there is a process in the background that got stuck in a loop or something.
It's lost 15% battery in two hours in sleep mode. Wifi was disabled but I did spot a swirling circle in the top left hand corner so something is trying to run

I'm trying to do a reboot now but the pin hole option appears not to be working. I can see another factory reset coming up, this will be the third or fourth since I got the Kobo and it's only a couple of months old.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I had no reading time at all. The GLO HD was in sleep mode the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It's lost 15% battery in two hours in sleep mode. Wifi was disabled but I did spot a swirling circle in the top left hand corner so something is trying to run

I'm trying to do a reboot now but the pin hole option appears not to be working. I can see another factory reset coming up, this will be the third or fourth since I got the Kobo and it's only a couple of months old.
I'm shocked, you realy have bad luck with Glo HD.

You already tried factory reset, so it probably a faulty battery.
-
But maybe you want to try downgrad the FW:
after the factory reset and selecting a language connect your device to the computer and sideload a firmware.
then load a patch with with `Block WiFi firmware upgrade` enable.
Registrat with Wifi.
make sure that the Kobo Desktop is NOT running.

Last edited by oren64; 08-02-2016 at 03:33 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why use the reset button? Just power it off and back on...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Isn't that just long press or long hold depending on the power button.

Oh and I had to restart my tablet today for battery reasons.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wanted to do a proper reboot. It worked in the end.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Isn't that just long press or long hold depending on the power button.

Oh and I had to restart my tablet today for battery reasons.
I tried both methods, I have no idea which one worked. I've stayed on 82% battery overnight but part of that was because I set the device to power off after 15mins. I have trouble restarting it so I turned that setting to never and t's been on just sleep mode for the last few hours. I'll see what happens.

It's in an official case so if I still get drain I'll try changing the case first just in case the sleep mode isn't working anymore, although it does revert to book cover when I close the case so who knows
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Josie; powering the device off DOES a proper reboot. The o/s shuts down on power off and restarts when power is restored. This is NOT a Kindle with its idiosyncratic reboot.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Josie; powering the device off DOES a proper reboot. The o/s shuts down on power off and restarts when power is restored. This is NOT a Kindle with its idiosyncratic reboot.
I get confused with the Kobo devices. When I press down the power button I thought that just put the device into sleep mode. Overnight, when I had the setting to power off after 15 minutes, I had a lot of trouble getting the GLO to power on again.