Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Icarus Illumina XL 8-inch E Ink eReader with Android 4.2

I just saw this at The Ebook Reader

Except the lousy resolution of 1024 x 768 it sounds interesting.

Update: It will be available in mid December through their Indiegogo campaign as reported by The Digital Reader

Specifications:
•8" (20.32cm) E-Ink touchscreen (1024 x 768)
•Integrated frontlight (adjustable intensity and can be turned off)
•Wi-Fi
•Android 4.2: install your own apps
•1Ghz Dual Core A9 Cortex with 512MB RAM
•8 Gb internal memory
•Micro SD card slot for expanding the memory with maximum 32Gb
•Supports ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM and in addition FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM
•Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
•Battery: 2,800mAh Lithium Ion
•200 x 145 x 9mm, 275 gr.

Early Bird special just $169 or $179 including leather case

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-30-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added link to Indigogo page and specification and early bird pricing
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
anybody knows how much RAM it has ?
and how the screen quality (contrast, whiteness) would compare to the Onyx i86 ?

(by the way I've just ordered the i86 which has the same screen size but an older android 4.0 )

Last edited by pierro78; 10-30-2015 at 07:21 PM.
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
anybody knows how much RAM does it have ?
and how the screen quality (contrast, whiteness) would compare to the Onyx i86 ?

(by the way I've just ordered the i86 which has the same screen size but an older android 4.0 )
The XL 8 has an inferior lower-resolution screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It does have a low-res, 150dpi screen, but it is an 8" epaper screen with a frontlight.

But it also has a reduced price for early-bird orders through their Indigogo page.

$169 for the reader on its own, or $179 for reader and cover, postage free to US and EU. But only 150 of the bare reader and 100 of the reader with cover are available at that price.

At £120 for reader with cover, I'm going to give one a go.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-30-2015 at 10:47 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Specifications:
  • 8" (20.32cm) E-Ink touchscreen (1024 x 768)
  • Integrated frontlight (adjustable intensity and can be turned off)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Android 4.2: install your own apps
  • 1Ghz Dual Core A9 Cortex with 512MB RAM
  • 8 Gb internal memory
  • Micro SD card slot for expanding the memory with maximum 32Gb
  • Supports ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM and in addition FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM
  • Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Battery: 2,800mAh Lithium Ion
  • 200 x 145 x 9mm, 275 gr.
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Looks like flexible funding on Indiegogo is a popular way to go.
Isn't this an established company? I'm surprised they're using a crowd funding drive.

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 10-30-2015 at 07:31 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If its got that much less resolution than the Onyx, why isn't there a greater price disparity?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
If its got that much less resolution than the Onyx, why isn't there a greater price disparity?
The Onyx would cost me £180 without a cover. That's a lot more than the £120.48 the Illumina is costing me with a cover (and, granted, with an early bird discount).
Old 10-31-2015, 05:07 AM   #9
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Specifications:
  • Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
I guess that it means that it doesnt have a speaker (same as Onyx i86)
Also it doesn't seem to have bluetooth ( the Onyx i86 has it)
Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #10
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

Quote:
it is an 8" epaper screen
hey, maybe a stupid question : is the Onyx i86 epaper too ? how would epaper quality (contrast, whiteness) compare to the quality of the Onyx i86 screen ?

Last edited by pierro78; 10-31-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
hey, maybe a stupid question : is the Onyx i86 epaper too ? how would epaper quality (contrast, whiteness) compare to the quality of the Onyx i86 screen ?
Epaper is a generic word describing electronic displays that mimic paper - i.e. that work by reflecting incident light rather than being back-light. They become easier to read the brighter the light they're in, e.g. in sunlight.

The Onyx i86 uses an epaper display made by E-Ink. The Icarus Illumina XL does not, it's display is made by a different company.

As to how they compare, I can't tell you from personal experience. I suspect that the one if the Icarus Illumina will have slightly less contrast, but with a front light that should be less of an issue.

I will be able to compare with my PW3 when mine arrives, although my guess is that I won't be seeing it until January 2016 at the earliest. (The Indigogo says shipping in mid-December. I think they're being unrealistic.)
Old 10-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I really want this. However, the additional weight [no matter how slight] outbalances the additional reading space for me. With my hands, I couldn't handle this one handed. But I want it.

Will probably keep an eye on the funding campaign and make a decision at the last minute or so
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I really want this. However, the additional weight [no matter how slight] outbalances the additional reading space for me. With my hands, I couldn't handle this one handed. But I want it.

Will probably keep an eye on the funding campaign and make a decision at the last minute or so
I wouldn't have got it without the early bird pricing, so keep an eye on how many of those are left.

Of course, in a year or two something better/cheaper will come along anyway.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Of course, in a year or two something better/cheaper will come along anyway.
And since both my kindles are functioning just fine, I'll probably hold off until I actually need to buy a new one. Blasted techno-lust...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Everyone wants big but I prefer small. I'd love a refresh for my kobo mini.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote